Model:

ModelFront.jpg

ModelLeft.jpg

ModelPersp.jpg

Wireframe:

WireFront.jpg

WireLeft.jpg

WirePersp.jpg

Looking for some criticism on this mesh. I'm still a beginner, so I'm sure you guys can find lots wrong with it. Thans for any feedback.

Edit: right now, the mesh is at 2196 poly's. Also, this "armor" is the actual character, I plan on adding fire effects inbetween the joints where he is currently hollow. If anyone has any ideas on how to do this, please let me know ^_^

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Nakur, welcome to polycount

Seems a bit poly heavy in the forearms and inner thigh (too many sides), and the face/helmet seems very undefined, I can't really tell whats going on there.

The front profile is very pronounced, but from the side, your character is a tube. The arms, legs and body polygons need to be used to better define your shapes (could toss a box out there with a picture of your character on it and it would look the same). Look to the front view of your shoulder pads for inspiration, they are low in polycount, and heavy in shape/smoothness. The axe is stylish, maybe an extra edge loop or two in that handle could give it a better shape.

For the inner effect, a low poly base mesh with a shader on it would work, particle emitters at the joints would as well. You can do a bit of research on this type of character, it's been done a lot and you should find some great examples.
  • Nakur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakur polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the welcome. I'll get working on some fixes.

As for the low poly base mesh with a shader... well, I follow you up until the shader part ^_^ What do you mean by that?

Hopefully I'll have a "more pronounced" character to post later tonight.

Thanks again for the great advice, I really appreciate it.
  • Nakur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakur polycounter lvl 18
    Helmet.jpg

WireHelmet.jpg

Made a few changes to the helmet, thought I'd give a close up to give you a better idea of what's going on with it.

Uploaded some new models with the changes I made. Still needs some tweaking, but I'm very happy with the changes so far. Thanks again for the criticism, it's really helped. Although I wonder how I didn't notice those things myself ^_^; ;
  • Nakur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakur polycounter lvl 18
    Alright, I understand what a shader is now... but I'm not sure how I could make a flaming effect using it =( If anyone has a link to a tutorial on this, or some ideas so I can try and go from there, that'd be great.

Also, if you have any other advice on the mesh, please let me know.
  • Nakur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nakur polycounter lvl 18