Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yay for arms :O

Enix
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Enix polycounter lvl 18
Yea...I been working on some new 1st person arms for a little project, the arms took about 30 mins or so to model, and the texture took about 2 hours. It as fun though, i like how it came out.

newingamehands1uy.jpg

armmapnew6zf.th.jpg

Now since i was trying to model and skin it from memory, the model isn't exactly proportioned right. Just testing myself again...why do i do this to myself? tongue.gif

Replies

• Mr Smo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Smo polycounter lvl 18
    kewl! how about adding some random freckles and some arm hair laugh.gif and maybe some veins :O
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    I was going to do the arm hair thing, but i said noes, cause arm hair isn't really attractive :S. Update BTW :O

weee3ug.jpg

Added a sleeve to the glove and finished it up. Its ready to go ingame, damn riggin frown.gif.

[PS. the gun model is not mine]
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, I think the hands look too small for the arms, and the fingers are too long. But I think the texture came out great. I think the extended part of the glove looks better also.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, i agree...something was bugging me about the fingers :P. Thanks for pointing that out.

Since I extended the glove out a bit, i had to add to the map, and I didn't want to make the arm texture smaller, so i ended up spliting them into two maps, one 512,384 and the other is like 304 x 304. Heres the updated glove texture:

glove.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply smile.gif.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gloves are ok, everything else is pretty boring and could use a lot of work. The arms how they arecould be using a 64x64 map and get the exact same amount of detail that you have there now. And unless this is a girl's hand give it some views and arm hair.

The gun is looking plastic and way under detailed, and you seriously need to look into why you put shadows somewhere(see shadows on top of gun....) Also you have no painted specular on it and really nothing at all that even hints at the gun being made of metal(overlays, scratches, etc)

I dont know what engine these are for but i think overall your shadows are too dark, when pure black gets lit and turned into detailess ugly gray you will see what i mean.

[edit] Also textures that arent a power of 2 are a no-no, 512x384 isnt really a problem but 304x304 definatle needs to be shrunk down to 256x256
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Errr..well like i said when i posted that pic, that gun isn't mine:P. I just used it for a test. The skin on the gun is not great at all, and i know that. But i didn't skin it :S. And i do agree with the comment on the arms, i just didn't know what else i could add to it, i didn't want to do arm hair, because he is supposed to be kinda young, about 25 or so. I will see what i can do laugh.gif.
  • dynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dynamic polycounter lvl 18
    umm well just about everyguy at my highschool has hair on their arms that is noticable to some degree

it just makes the guy seem a bit tougher i guess to have hair that stands out ( more manly i guess)