Home Technical Talk

biped wacked

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
I made an animation with a biped skeleton on my mesh and i exited max 6 then restarted it and tried to view the file.

When i exited the program all was fine.
When i started the program & file back up the model was in the air off the ground i had placed it on.

What i did was weighted the verts on the mesh to the biped skeleton, posed the mesh, attached the mesh's right foot to an object. This object was attatched to a spline path constraint going down a hill i had as an environment. I created a dummy file placed it near the right foot of the biped and linked the pelvis of the biped to the dummy and the dummy to the object that is follwing the path constraint.

I needed the mesh to move along a path to act as if it was going down the hill naturaly. This is my first animation and all is fine and dandy f.a.i.k.

Now i do not want to close the program to have the same floating file as my previous one, "yes i created an all new scene", so i am afraid to close the file because i dont want the model floating in the air again.

I wouldn't know how to fix the file if it happens again.

could anyone help me plz.
Thanx polycount
Keep pushing those polys.

Replies

• FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I can't really say why it's floating, but if you're afraid of the file changing when you save it, you can open a second copy of Max, and open the file there to see changed again.

But generally, if you want a character to walk down a hill, you animate him walking down a hill. Don't use a dummy linked to a path constraint. If you're really new to animating and want some kind of automated way to move the character, look in to using footsteps. But if you really want to become an animator professionally, do it by hand.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, I got some help from cg.talk.

Opening a second max would not hurt actually.
    I will keep that in mind for future problems.

I wanted the character to slide down the hill, it is a snow boarder so I wanted him to ski down hill and do a few tricks here and their.

I figure that footsteps mean leg movements such as a walk or run.

Yea I want to try my best to understand animation.
    So far, I am having a great time learning something new:).

Thanks man for your help!
    Hope to receive in the future.