Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

eli the (old) dwarf

todman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
todman polycounter lvl 18
I'm working on this character now, please criticize, please don't throw any tomatoes! He's lower poly than what I should be workin on (2560) but I've already got this far so I know he needs to be poly upped a bit. thanks
todman
elifull.jpg
wireframe.jpg

Replies

• RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Hahah soweet. But he has no knees...and his feet could be angled outwards a tad to make the pose more natural.
  • hikagesan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hikagesan polycounter lvl 18
    the only crit i have to offer is the teeth, other than that is great, good work
  • Eli_Heuer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eli_Heuer polycounter lvl 18
    haha cool model. looks just like me!
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (teeth) I know! As soon as I posted, I said OH crap his teeth look funny, they were way back and I brought them forward butt too far! (knees) Yeah, you're right!! I didn't think of that, it's not gonna work when rig him, I'll add some polys there, thanks a lot though.(ELI)no way you're name is Eli? Dude that cowboy is very sweet...keep it up
    todman
    It's just the normal noises in here...
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    scary.
    I have no idea whats going in the face texture.
    It look super blury and weird.
    Impossible to read the detail proberly.
    But before going on texturing, I would go back to fix the model.

The proportions are kinda weird, the waist, is realy nasty.

You should go and fix all the joint to, I would add another loop to the arm for sure. Your polygon distribution is pretty weak too. Look at all the poly u put on the legs and boot compare to the chest and arm.

even with all thoses polys in the legs, u have no form or shape. Work on that.
    I realy have no idea whats going on under the belt, The pelvis area is just confusing. Same with the arm , around the joint, Thats just messy.

To Recap, Poly distribution, Edge loop, joints and proportions.
    Thats what I would look into, if I were you that is.

Bah, Work hard.
    b1ll
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    b1ll, that's above 5 lines.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are some new files after working on the mesh and face. I actually painted some of the face as the wrinkles were looking stretchy, so his face is half paint half pic-what about the beard? Should I paint it? I think the pic looks weird. I've made his waist wider, reduced boot polys added arm polys, also shaped his legs and knees. He's going to be wearing baggy pants. All crits welcome, thanks todman
    eli_mapface.jpg
    elifront.jpg
    eliside.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    What b1ll said you should take as religion at this point. You may have "been building models for a while", but he's been building professional models for a very long time. Have you seen his work? It's very nice, if not incredible, every time.

Other than all that model work, those weaves you are using really bother me. I recognize them as old google/font generated weave patterns I've seen artists paste on their textures for years. In fact, I've definitely used them for a quake mod over 8 years ago, and it's was pasted all over your web site. Paint in a custom weave, it'll improve the look and credibility of the texture. It's just a line, draw it.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    i think you still need to work on your poly distribution. if you look at the limbs compared to the torso, the torso is very sparse. also, you have all these polys in the arms and legs, but they aren't doing anything. you still have a blocky looking silhouette on your tubes. use the faces to smooth it out and create more form and definition in the model. don't throw them in for the sake of upping the poly-count.

for the texture, work more wrinkles into the areas that normally get them. under the eye is the most blaringly obvious in missing them. the wrinkles you do have around the eyes kinda makes it look like the eye-slits are oysters or anuses with an eyeball inside of it. it's mainly in the way you have your highlight going completely around the wrinkles. well, looks that way, to me.

oh, give him beefier looking hands and wrists. since he has gloves like that on, they should add girth and crap to the hands - wrists.

about the beard. if you're going to keep it a photo, find a photo where the hair is aligned more straight so it doesn't look so obviously mirrored.
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone (that was quick, I just posted it)About b11, I didn't mean to sound ungrateful. I did want to look at his models and he has none posted. I guess I've just been doing models wrong for five years. Believe me if people here say to do something I'm gonna do it. I used his crits when trying to fix the dwarf. What are weaves? What are tubes? I guess I am a little behind the times! I need to know these terms. I'm going to work on him more tonite, he had big wrists and I just reduced them today. I'll scale them up. Another thing to consider I'm in 3.1 and it's very time consuming to add polys and rings. I know it's outdated but I can't really afford the upgrade right now.
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    There are other programs to use that are free. There's Wings 3D that I know a lot of people use. I think by weaves, he means the celtic looking designs, but I'm not sure. By tubes, I mean your arms are just tapered tubes. The geo you added is just making them more tube-like, adding not much to the model. For the wrists, beef them up from the front view, don't just scale them up. Use more control than just something so global.

For some of b1ll's work, look to Prince of Persia: Warrior Within.
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eli_newelipolys.jpg
    I've distributed the polys better, and reduced the number of polys in his arms/legs down to eight vertical lines in the legs and I think 10 in the arms. I know now that I need to form some muscles or something in the arms. But I wanted to post the poly layout first to see what you think
    thanks again,
    todd
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bettereli.jpg
    Here is the latest version, he looks a lot different now with the arms actually making muscles, I dumped one of the rings on his gloves and the polycount is now around 2400 rather than 2560, I've added rib cage and chest. I don't know, he still looks funny. Well, please critisize. thanks cool.gif
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Here do this to your boots and i think you can call it good.

remove the lines i covered and youl get the same shape with out waisting all those polygons.
    pfoot.jpg
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow, I didn't even notice that, thanks God
    "God" that sound funny, calling you God. c-ya
    todd