Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samus Aran for UT2k4

LiveWire
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
LiveWire polycounter lvl 18
being a big fan of the metroid prime series i've been wanting to make my own smaus model for some time. so here it is for UT2K4.

samusrender6ai.jpg

not ready for download yet. need to do custom animations and some code to make the arm cannon work right in game. also i'm working on a glossy shadder for it but that's giving me some trouble at the moment.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Great first post LW! Can we see the wires and texture flats?

Ingame shots would be cool too, seems like she fits nicely.
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this isn't actualy my first post. i've been over these forums for some a year or so, but i ahvnt been here for a while (or at least logged in). when i came back today my profile wouldnt log in - must have been deleted or something, cos i was able to re-register with my old username.

anywho, here's some other imgaes (didnt post them in the first place cos i was lazy, but for some reason i'm not now):

samus-wire.jpgLWSamusBody.jpgLWSamusVisor.jpg

the body will have a glossy shadder on it, hiding the flatness of it. the visor is on a seperate map to save having an alpha map for the entire body.
  • TEKKIE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TEKKIE polycounter lvl 18
    Finally, a Samus model for UT2004. Good work, looks real good.
    Whats the poly count on this one?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    That looks VERY close to the original, even has the same painting style and everything.

I suppose the arm cannon can't morph into the various gun shapes it had in Prime?

What are you going to code in, the gun behaviour? Because to remove the attached weapon you just need to skip the bone_weapon and its socket.
  • cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    Looks fantastic wink.gif
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice, some small differences from the orginal Prime model (for example, Samus has green eyes instead of blue in the game and the gun is green too) but it doesn't have to exactly look like the original to look great. Looking forward to see what you can do with the UT2004 shaders.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice.. looks practically dead on to the game model at a quick glance. Nice color varients too.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
  • lockdown18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lockdown18 polycounter lvl 18
    Looks just like her...
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
  • SABRETOOTH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SABRETOOTH polycounter lvl 18
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    The final piece feel pretty strong,
    The texture flat itself, kinda feel weak, lack interesting values and small detail, and the face is kinda baaaaaah,

But it does look cool in the final.

Cool.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    damn, at first glance i thought the post was the reference images you had gathered. looks fantastic!
  • Surgey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surgey polycounter lvl 18
    Looks just like the Metroid Prime model. Nice work! Can't wait to use it in-game.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    you h4cked it out of the game!!!....h4ack3r!!!

Very awesome job man, it looks perfectly dead on, though the chest seems a bit smushed and heavier than samus actually is...looks great though
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    sweet!

looks like wings 3d? am i right?
    very accurate, but it'd look really cool if you worked on sprucing up the texture, and the face in the helm is flat.

You should make the helmet removable, and put it in medal of honor too smile.gif it'd love to kill with her...
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the coments everyone.
    a few general things:
    made in 3dsmax7, textured in photshop.
    currently at 5099 tris. i wasnt too concerned about the polycount. i wanted to replicate the detail of the actual game model, and as it stands it's still less detailed and i took some detail back out to be sure it would still run in UT, so that makes me wonder just how high the GC model actually is (for instance the rings in the arm cannon and the lights on her chest are modelled in on the GC model).
    textures are 1024 and 256, though i might drop them to half cos i dont think i'll lose any detail.

Cubik: green? i might check that out. are you sure it's not just the colour of the visor playing with them? in the unlockable artwork her eyes are blue.

KDR_11k: what will happen then? i might try that out. my original idea was to get a programmer to write some custom code for me so the 3rd person model's gun is invisible. removing the gun bone though might work, but then were will the mussel flashes appear? i'll have to give it a go next time i get a chance.

Jerome: i would have liked to make the helmet removable, but that's not going to happen without raising the polycount even further! also i'm not to sure how it would work - one thing i discovered making this model is that samus' proportions dont make sense, and her face cant be that large in the visor if her head is to still fitt inside of the helmet. you dont really notice until you look really cose and compare it to a real head! and where exactly do her sholders connect to her body?? not the most anotomically correct character in video game history, but i wanted to replicate the design so i dint worry about little things like 'human anatomy' smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh, there's a scene in Zero Mission where she fades from her combat suit to a bodysuit, you can clearly see her proportions changing...

I'm not sure what happens to the muzzleflash but removing the bone won't crash the game or something, people found that out when they turned the skeletons into playable characters.
  • jgall21
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jgall21 polycounter lvl 18
    looks really nice i was originally staring work on a metroid fusion model, however since it was my first model i grew frustrated and tired of dealing with it another thing was @ the time i was starting the art and the early stages I got nasty bugs in my system thus loosing all work. But in the future expect a fusion suit release, your samus model looks well and all the work looks like its getting alot of appreciation thats the good thing about polycounters. well hope to see a release of this model thus being the first samus model released for ut2k4.
  • Lord Killmore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord Killmore polycounter lvl 18
    hm looks damn great man
    maybe you should give it a bit damaged look . dunno may give it a more realistic look imo
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    looks dead on. i played the first chapters of metroid prime, but didn't really find it any great, but this model is definitely up to the style.
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    I love this model also.
    I'm impressed with the look. I don't care too much for the polycount of the model. The better looking. The better it is. You can do that with textures and shaders too, but I don't have a kick ass system for nothing too.
    Keep up the great work! I can't wait to see in game images.

Etienne
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a shot of her in game at the moment - as you can see with the default animatons it looks a little weird.

also, does anyone know much about how unreal lights it's models - particually in outdoor areas my model becomes superbright (you can see it on the right side of the back view).

samus-ingame-bad.jpg
  • redshadow13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redshadow13 polycounter lvl 18
    That looks amazing. Can't wait for a release. And have you done anything else? I'd love to get my hands on more of your stuff.
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    last year i did a model for the MSU comp called Tiberius - it's i the model list on the polycount main page. however i've recently added CTF4 skins and made some changes, and i'll upload that version as soon a i get my website up. i want to do a lot more mod work for ut and other games but i just havnt had time with uni.
    other than that i worked on a end-of-year project last year at uni. it was a mario kart style racing game called scootarama. not exactly what you're after i guess but it's at www.primedgames.com if you want to check it out.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I don't know much about the unreal lighting engine,
    but just looking at your skin - its very very bright
    so naturally it looks superbright near a light source
  • Makk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makk polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Livewire smile.gif
    This turned out super nice dude!
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    he looks very cool, though i dont like the comic stlye. Yes, the original game _is_ comic style but hey, that would be the nice twist in it to make him look realstic within the unreal universe. Nice shaders and specular maps would give him a good metal feel. I would love to illustrate what i mean but that means that you have to release a SDK laugh.gif .

Wow, I just imagine samus aran full of rust and scratches and nice metallic specular. yummi.... wink.gif
  • RiOx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RiOx polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    he looks very cool, though i dont like the comic stlye. Yes, the original game _is_ comic style but hey, that would be the nice twist in it to make him look realstic within the unreal universe. Nice shaders and specular maps would give him a good metal feel. I would love to illustrate what i mean but that means that you have to release a SDK laugh.gif .

Wow, I just imagine samus aran full of rust and scratches and nice metallic specular. yummi.... wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    There are two things you're probably not aware of, or are forgetting;
    Firstly, Samus Aran is female.
    Secondly, the metal her suit is composed of is capable of surviving a dip in corrosive acid or lava. I highly doubt it would rust were such a metal to exist in real life. Per the character's backstory she looks perfectly realistic, albeit probably not as gritty as you'd want her to look.

@LiveWire:
    Wow. Very nice rendition of the character. To be honest, at first I thought you'd dropped the ball on a few of the details (I was comparing your model to the reference pictures I'm using to construct my own version of Samus for Quake 3, but that aside.), only then I finally noticed what was up with it; You used the redesigned Varia suit from Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, instead of the original look from Metroid Prime. Not my personal favorite rendition (I liked the original suit better.), but your model is certainly accurate to the Echoes version of the suit.
    Now I'm going to have to ask; Will you do meshes for the Dark suit and Light suit as well? grin.gif
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    i know that she is female, but always forget it smile.gif the other thing: i didnt know that smile.gif hmm, i still want her rusted and gritty muahhahaahhahaha.

sometimes you have to forget about stuff like that smile.gif I still want a SDK so that I can make her gritty and rusted smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These days all games use overbrighting, you can expect your skin to be about twice as bright as it is on the texture on average. I prefer to use levels with 144 as the output scaling to get the skin down to a decent brightness.
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RiOx: it's actually the prime1 design, with a few minor elements from MP2 (the shape of the visor). i dont intend to do the light and dark suits any time soon, if at all. i want to do the fusion suit though. but first...

_Shimmer: i agree that it would look cool dented and gritty, but i wanted to replicate the MP game look as close as possible so i made it as clean as that. i want to do a version of the original grungy design and normal map it (complete with all manner of rust, grit, dents, etc).
    once i get this one finsihed and released i'll release an SDK for you smile.gif, i'd like to see some gitty textures for this one.

KDR_11K: thanks, ill try that. i tryed simply darkening it and it didn't light up so much, but didnt look all that great.
  • redshadow13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    last year i did a model for the MSU comp called Tiberius - it's i the model list on the polycount main page. however i've recently added CTF4 skins and made some changes, and i'll upload that version as soon a i get my website up. i want to do a lot more mod work for ut and other games but i just havnt had time with uni.
    other than that i worked on a end-of-year project last year at uni. it was a mario kart style racing game called scootarama. not exactly what you're after i guess but it's at www.primedgames.com if you want to check it out.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Quite nice. smile.gif
  • Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's starting to look good.
    I hope you can fix the overlapping in the mesh.
    I'm really impressed.
    Etienne
  • redshadow13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any further progress?
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    sdk please. Please include like an obj file.
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    two weeks left of UNI, all sort of assessment to do, and then i'm entering a modeling comp fore the next couple of weeks. so nothing for a while yet. i'll post when i pick it back up, and when it's all done i'll release an SDK.
  • RiOx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RiOx polycounter lvl 18
    Before you do create an SDK, you might want to fix one more thing.
    Something's been bugging me ever since you mentioned the suit was supposed
    to be the MP2:Echoes Varia suit, and not a hybrid from both Metroid Prime
    games.
    Just yesterday I finally got 'round to starting a 100% scan/items run of
    Echoes and then it hit me; You're using the MP2:Echoes suit, but the gunarm
    is the MP1 model. Take a look at the Power Beam inventory entry in MP2:Echoes'
    datalogs and you'll notice that the bottom rear of the gun (the piece closest
    to the outside of the elbow) is significantly different. It features two small
    box-like additions that seem to be air intakes for cooling, and the entire
    bottom of the gun extending from that point (the darkened metal plate on your
    skin) seems different as well.

I'd get you a screenshot or two of this inconsistency, but unfortunately I have
    no way to grab shots off of my Gamecube.
  • Shadow123475
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadow123475 polycounter lvl 18
    Uh is there any new news on the model?
  • Chozo121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chozo121 polycounter lvl 18
  • melterX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melterX polycounter lvl 18
    PLEASE RELEASE THIS smile.gif I wanna play it badly smile.gifsmile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't we have a policy against bumping WIP threads?
  • Mr Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Ray polycounter lvl 18
    probally, im getting the feeling that its the same person.
  • Muskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muskie polycounter lvl 18
    Holy Heck! Do you work at retro or something? That's Amazingly accurate to the Prime Models! You gonna try for the Prime2 Variants or the Fusion suit when you have the animations working?
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, people still reading this thread. i've been busy finishing UNI, and straight out of that i got a job in the industry, so i havnt had a chance to work on the model for some time and havn't got around to checking out polycount either for some reason. ok here's the story so far:

likelyhood of this being finished in the next few weeks is slim, partly due to my job and also due to a modeling comp i'm doing in my spare time (which closes in a month). after that i intend to pick this model back up and finish it. i'm a huge samus fan and i dont want to see this model sit unfinished in a dusty directory.

RiOx: it's the MP1 design with a few elements i liked from the MP2:Ecos design. i thought i mentioned that, maybe not on this forum.
    also i want o have a serious look at the texture. it looks a little carttony i guess, and i would like to make it look more metalic, maybe. either that or i'll just release this one and then do another skin in the future.

as for other smaus suits, as much as i would like to do them, dont hold your breath waiting for them smile.gif. i want to do the a normal mapped model of the origial grundgy design form MP before they changed it to the final clean design i the game.(this wont go into UT cos of the normal mapping)
    i also want to do the fussion suit cos it's so different in design to the rest, which i'll put into UT.
    and i also want to do her gunship and put it into UT as a vehicle.

ok, enough posting i need to get back to work.
  • Cypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cypher polycounter lvl 18
    That has got to be the best model i've seen for UT2004. I've seen some good ones, but this is the best. I can't wait for it to be released. I have to agree if there were such a metal it would not rust, The only I think it would be cool if you made a separate skin in which the lines on the front of the helmet are like echoes. I personally like Metroid Prime 2: Echoes the most out of all of the Metroid games, and i've beaten all of the released ones.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You registered just so you could have kinky necrophelic sex with this thread?
    If you're curious about the status of the model, please just pm the author, instead of resurrecting a thread that's been resurrected far more than is healthy.
    And yeah, are you sure you're not just the same person, because this is becoming ridiculous.
    edit: i said "the author", not me.
  • LiveWire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if anyone wants to comment on the model then feel free to pm me, i check the boards most days (though i dont post much). i'm about to get back into the model very soon, but that's not to say it will be finsihed any time soon smile.gif. i don't know about it being "the best model i've seen for UT2004" though...
  • c01dfire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c01dfire polycounter lvl 18
    I want Samus to have my babies.....