Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

one for you WW2 nuts- Mk1 Hurricaine (model)

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
howdy guys

http://www.hedgeart.com/hurrican_modelcrit1.jpg

been working on this Hurricain Mk1 on and off as of late in my latest attempt to model a quite detailed but realistic aircraft that could potentialy be put into a current modern game engine.

my main engine of reference was Oleg maddox suberb Il2 Sturmovik game engine and I was aiming for it to fit in with that engine.

im also aiming for all animatable parts (landing gear,flaps,stabalisers,rudder,radiator etc).

However there is something about it i feel is missing yet for the life of me can't see what.....any of you guys see it?

My current half arsed smoothing doesn't help,but ill sort that out now smile.gif along with more optermisation,just wanted to get the historical accuracy modeled right.

Thanks

john

Replies

• Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    The cylinder that's attached to the backwheel should be straighter from the body. And thicker.

The front wings shouldn't curve like that where they meet the body. It should be a much smoother curve.

The outher side of the air-intake(?) under the body shouldn't be so smooth. The hole looks good, but the side should form more of a retangle with smoothed corners.

The underside off the tip looks like its' curve is too sharp, try smoothing it a little more.

The backwings should go straight out from the body (where they meet the backend).
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Hey,

Not bad so far, you have some nastiness around where the wing connects to the fuselage mainly on top. It's a bit dark in your render but I think better poly distribution could solve this. You have some really awkward angles between them, I hope you understand what I mean. Lastly something about the rear section of the fuselage looks a bit wonky but maybe it's just the smoothing.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I would mainly just try to clean up the edge flow. Right now it's kind of all over the place, and I bet a smooth view without wireframe would give testiment to that. Good meshflow ensures good smoothing.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    The nose needs a bit of love. Just a massaging of verts and edges to make it look more like the cross sections in that old "Airpower" cutaway. Model the Canopy and take the consequences. The wings may be a hair thinner as well. otherwise it is identifiable as a "Hurrybox".

Scott
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    howdy guys

Ive finally got round to doing the textures for this one.
    I painted the detail on though I could ahve used blueprints and saved my rivot gun some smile.gif...oh well

hurricain_finial2.jpg
    hurricain_finial1.jpg
    hurricain_finial.jpg

gonna put it on my new folio site once I get that done..im improving!! TALLYHO!!

John
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Are those markings floating on top of the wing?

You can also put it up on your folio site, as soon as you get it some props, man. laugh.gif