Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Painting Preview/Help

Father_Brandon
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Father_Brandon polycounter lvl 18
face1.jpg

I am working on a portfolio for a job doing art at Wizards of the Coast and I really need some painting help, any suggestions for this head/face so far?

Replies

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yuo could try and blend it a bit more. It looks a bit,like a gouache painting right now. Is that the look you were after?

If it were me I would have a mirror in front of me and do the same pose.Or at least get a similar 3/4 view and use that for reference.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    there are some anatomy errors, atleast compared to a normal human. It also looks like you have mixed your colour with black to create shadow and white for highlights. I cant really make out where the light is coming from, maybe a more defined light source would help?

good luck!
  • Synista
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synista polycounter lvl 18
    And avoid using the smudge tool too much.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    well that depends how you use the smudge tool. I generally use only the airbrush and smudge tool for my stuff.
  • Father_Brandon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dudes : ), how shall I go about blending it better? just add lesser tones and smudge? any suggestions for blending tehcniques? I plan to have a more direct source of light (purpleish blue) from the left side, I am currently working on the source of the light.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Father_Brandon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome! Thanks man, for the shading blur, did you just grab a large airbrush with soft edges and opacity and give it a go over until the little highlights?
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i used the smudge tool.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    It looks mostly like you didn't have a clear lighting source. I don't think the answer is just a different blending approach, I think you need to lay down the values more definately before going any more detailed. Every so often, desaturate your painting to see how it reads value wise.

Keep it up.
  • Father_Brandon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am trying the blend, so I can work on two different version and see which one I like best. But I can't get the blending right at all, very frustrating.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I like what you did with the smudge tool, improved it dramatically already. like to see this finished man.
    I wouldn't be 'too' reliant on the smudge, tool, but it certainly helps, combined with other approaches
    What you might try is doing a new layer, painting the detail then smudgin it a little , but only on the one layer. When you are happy, flatten it and so on.
    I stress this is just the way i do it, might n't be the same for you.
    When doing a 2d painting as opposed to a skin , some folks go for a more painterly approach anyway

Also I have really noticed a difference at home because I still have a graphire 2 or 3 , but at work I have an a3 inuos whuich seems to give better results.
  • Father_Brandon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll finish it, I usually have to get in a painting groove, this morning im a bit short fused and will sit down later tonight and try again at the desired effect.
  • Father_Brandon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    facev3.jpg

My first time trying to blend it using killingpeople's fix as a referance, it took me so freaking long, but it has been a learning trip and after I finish this painting hopefully my next one for my portfolio will go faster. It is 2 am and I will finish blending and do the mouth tommorow, then body and background, I want possibly do an action scene with it for a MTG (Magic the Gathering) card.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    A good improvement. Maybe the ear could be a little bit more red/saturated - it's thinner flesh and light passes through it, illuminating the blood inside and giving a more reddish tint, especially when lit from behind.
    You might also want more colour variation across the face - try making the chin area subtly more blue than the rest of the face, and the forehead a little more yellow ... it's a neat trick, try it, it really works from what I've tried.

Also, if you haven't seen this tutorial by Prometheus from ConceptArt.org, check it out now - some very useful tips and stuff he talks about:
    http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Keep at it!

MoP
  • Father_Brandon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a slightly new version of the head, still taking me along time. But i want to get it in the right direction before I start the pose of the body, background and touch ups.

facev5.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    1 thing I do to help me percieve the correct values is to not paint against white. I usually start against a neutral grey background. And block in your masses first. Imagine your doing something cell shaded...then smudge.
  • Father_Brandon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slightly updated again, up for more suggestions.

facev6.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    A handy piece of advice that someone here once game me is to split your face up into three coloured sections. The forehead and nosebridge should have a yellow tone, the cheeks and upper lip should be red and the remaining lower portion should be blue-green. Paint these colours on a seperate layer then use a subtle soft light blend. It often makes a surprisingly large amount of difference to the realism of your character.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Jackablade: Good tip, in fact I suggested the same thing just a few posts ago... wink.gif
    Take our advice, Father_Brandon, try this trick, it's surprising how well it works.
  • Father_Brandon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was trying it earlier and it wasn't working : ( I will try again, thanks!
  • Father_Brandon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something tells me I should go for alot more contrast, damnit I have to go to work now. (edit- this is me trying to add blueish and red/yellow)

facev7.jpg
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    If you want to create art for magic the gathering you are going to have to learn about colour. There are hot and cold colours that you can use to help push the depth of your work, draw the viwers eye to the right place and make it look good.

check this thread out;http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17837

in fact you should post on conceptart.org too if you arent already. Good progress but taking time to learn the principals behind the madness is very important.
    smile.gif
  • Father_Brandon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks dude, I have learned alot over the progression of this thread. I am starting to feel like I should start a new porfolio piece with what I have learned but I really should finish up this one first.
  • Father_Brandon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started a new one using what I have learned so far, this is just a start, thanks for all your guy's continueing help!

Beholderwurm.jpg