Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

New head.... Again....

So im liking it so far, except is seems pretty boring to me now after look at it for so long... If anyone has any ideas on maybe features to exagerate or things like that to make it look more interesting let me know.
adriana06.jpg

Replies

• shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ive seen this before
    i will see this again
    because i do it often myself,
    the its-way-too-high-foo forehead mistake! yay!
    thing is,
    it kinda looks like you actually took off a piece of her jaw bone, where more of her chin should be showing, and stuck it on her top
    sculpy style
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    i dunno, the eyes are supposed to be halfway between the top and the bottom of the head. looks ok to me. i think if she had hair it'd look fine

although ive been guilty of doing the same thing
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    well , most ppl tend to make the opposite mistake , i like it how it is EQ, get some hair and texture on her , and im very sure shes gona look exelent.
  • Slash
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Looks nice, but how about making something thats not perfect for a change? Find a picture of a regular girl, without ideal features, and try to use her features in a model.
  • cep
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Her jaw! just like the last one...
    Where is it?
    She's got a Michael Jackson nose.
    The back of her skull comes way to far down into the neck,
    she has a real fat puffy bottem lip, looks like someone slugged her in the face. Her ears are so squashed on the side profile.

I'd love to quote a beatles song here, but I feel it's unnesary.
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel these are pretty harsh crits smile.gif hehe i really thought she loooked quite good.
  • cep
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I feel these are pretty harsh crits smile.gif hehe i really thought she loooked quite good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, oh yea, she looks pretty good. crazy.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Crits were FAR from harsh, heres an update and the ref im using so i dont have to explain the odd nose... It makes her unique anyway! hehe And yes the cheeks are a little harsher than in the pick but thats on purpose, i have other ref from her(probally when shes older or something) that shows her cheeks like that. Also, didnt bother to remodel the ears from the last one because im lazy.
    ref.jpg
    adriana08.jpg
    And heres a perspective shot too, the other models i've done lately i modeled pretty much with perspective off and they dont look right any other way than that, this one actually looks more "right" with perspective on so thats good.
    adriana09.jpg
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    she still has too much head, and too less chin
    its gonna get pretty tight in there if you try fit a skull inside that model.. no room!
    just imagine what would happen if someone farted!

lower the ears too, a little. your reference shot has slight from-below prespective.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    try to rework the side of head... very messy.. you dont need that many lines on the top of head where there is no detail. it will smooth fine.. here.. hope you dont mind.. i did a quick photoshop of what i am talking about..

adriana06.jpg
  • Irritant
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good to me.

Chin and head match the ref, spot on.

Sometimes I see people getting a little carried away with certain proportion perfection, and they lose sight that the human head is rarely "perfectly" proportioned. Sure, there may be an "average", but the Proportion Nazis would have believing that there is a specific formula in which you should make your head.

I don't have any crits on the mesh flow, one way or another.
  • Eli_Heuer
    Offline / Send Message
    Eli_Heuer polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good so far. But I agree with Irritant. Don’t be a proportion nazi. The most important thing is that the face you create feels human. Asymmetry can be essential to good character design.
  • Toomas
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    I did a head with Adriana Lima refs (if you want i can show how mine looks, not that its perfect or anything :P ) but i used:
    lima_front.jpg
    lima_side.jpg

Anyways move the jaw and corner of the mouth forward, the tip of the nose should be much "fatter" from the side view, i dont know why you modeled eyebrows (i would get rid of them).
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Aww come on she doesn't have a odd nose in reality, just the frontside ref. picture is a bit odd (because it was shot slightly from above). Try to model the nose more like it looks in the side picture.
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    she is very distinctive .
  • EarthQuake
    Toomas: ah yeah, looks like shes looking down a little bit in my side view, ill try and fix that up. I'de be really interested to see what you did with your model to so post that here if you want to.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    It has a lot more subtlety than your last head, which is good. she still has a bit of a wierd skull. I would try rounding it out a bit from the back, so it isn't quite so square. Keep it up man, looking good.
  • EarthQuake
    Ok i think im about done with the modeling on her head now, time to do some low-ish poly stuff uv, texture and model some hair.
    adriana10.jpg
  • EvilEngine
    Offline / Send Message
    EvilEngine polycounter lvl 18
    She has a slight african look to her profile.
    I think the lip area is protruded half an inch too forward, almost like babboon faces(no offense, just trying to make a decent observation).
    Eye detail is solid though and beautiful neck line.
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    Have another look at the top of the nose and the transition to the eyebrows. that is too far back at the moment.

Other than that, the mouth is way to strait and lacks shape. A good way of actually changing it is to model with the inside of the mouth, or at least with a start of it. That way you will model the sides of the lower lip actually going inside of the mouth a bit.

Oh and of cause the always common "outer corner of the eye" problem. The upperlit doesn't quite merge with the lower lit in a loop, but the loop goes more like back to the ear... hard to explain.
  • Elementer
    Offline / Send Message
    Elementer polycounter lvl 18
    Very good work man wink.gif
  • Toomas
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh well, its kinda crap but since i promised
    lima.jpg

And yes i noticed back of her skull is WEIRD but the hair isnt done anyways, maybe some day... cool.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    A wireframe shot would be really nice... it looks like I was wrong about the outer corner of the eye wink.gif
  • ryan77
    Offline / Send Message
    ryan77 polycounter lvl 18
    Her neck just below the chin looks indented, it should drop more, like a new curl after the chin in the profile.
  • EarthQuake
    EvilEngine: Yeah, the monkey look there was me being stupid and following toomas's ref to closely and not thing about perspective in that shot hehe thats been fixed now.

JK: Ok, fixed up that area on the nose and ill add an inside to the mouth later too.
    Dont really feel like posting new pics since its just small changes.

that looks pretty damn good toomas, just gotta fix up that akwardly shaped skull hehe, also if you posted a wire shot that might be pretty usefull to me, thanks =D
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    she is very distinctive .

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed.
    http://www.awfulplasticsurgery.com/archives/005430.html
  • EarthQuake
    WHAT?!?!? You're telling me a model had PLASTIC SURGERY? Oh dear god please inform the presses. I cant even begin to imagine this could be true, what will the children think? Someone, please hold me, im scared and worried for the future. =(
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I think her chin is still wrong. you may have matched the reference from the front, but you have created a a bit of an overhang ,making her side chin view look underdeveloped.
    My suggestion to to go a lot further in finding reference . sometimes a photo can be deceiving unless you compare it with a lot of other similar ones.I use 3/4 views a lot as this can show up a lot of mistakes in your model
  • Toomas
    Offline / Send Message
    Please dont laugh cause the topology is rather horrible :'(

bluwire.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Ok looking back on this model the more work i put into it the worse it got... So i went back to one of my earliest saves on the model and worked it into some much better than the last shots i posted.
    adriana11.jpg
    adriana12.jpg
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Take a look at ^borb thread

Thoses are Sick sexy head!

b1ll
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly man, just start a new one.
    You (should) have learned by now that refernces can be misleading, and that proportions are a lot more imoprant that getting the eye lid detail. You've mixed so much "paint" into this one, you probably never get the "color" right. Best to start fresh.

Yup, borb's heads have good propotions.
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah i will start a new one soon, just after i did the male head i looked back at the various wip pics i had for this one and realized it only got worse the more i worked on it, so i fixed up the early version and now im happy with it and will be until i really do the next one and notice how much it sucks again.
  • Todd Dinosaur
    Offline / Send Message
    Todd Dinosaur polycounter lvl 18
    dag yo, I'm making the same one. Adriana Lima is so hotness. I had a really hard time finding a profile shot of her, so I just didn't use one. I guess I have to challange you to a duel; or fight if you will, to make a better one than me. Here are the rules there are none. The judges will be are fellow artists. Who ever wins takes Adriana's hand in marriage and the loser blinds himself in shame. Will you accept my challange?

Rollergirl%20pic03.jpg

fight fight fight