Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Berserker Viking

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jRocket polycounter lvl 18
This character was modeled and textured by myself from an original concept by Hengishammer for a Mod. I just graduated from an Art Institute school, where I have always looked at my work as being above average, but yet I look on these boards and others and am blown away by the quality of work. So, what I would really like is an objective opinion. Whats wrong with it and how can I improve?
berserkermediaplain1.jpg
Closeup:
berserkermediaplain2.jpg
Wireframe:
bwire.jpg

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey man

Welcome to Polycount!!!....

the model and texture look outstanding I really like it.

Just curious what engine is this model for?

john
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I think the mesh is overly dense. There's a lot of sections there that don't really need the extra polygons (eg. pant cuffs, bracers, beard).
    His hair looks clean and silky smooth, like out of a TV commercial. How is his hair so perfect when his torso is such a mess?
    His skin tone also gets to me a little. He's very pale and pink. For someone who goes around with no shirt, wouldn't he be a bit more tanned?

Overall it's excellent though. Very impressive.
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're right, I think the beard does need to be a bit more messy. I probably could reduce the polycount a little more in certain places, and maybe add some detail elsewhere. Its at about 4500 now, which is just about right for the highest LOD in a Source Engine(HL2) game.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    my main crit is the wolf's eyes... if it were a pelt there would be no eyes shown, unless the vikings took the time to put clean little glass eyes in their pelts...

if you look at wolf pelts that were used for this sort of thing, you can see that the eyes look more like dried slits.

other than that, just the stuff said by the others could use a once-over, but a very solid concept and good execution.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    My main crit would be the abs. They don't seem to fit.When I think of a viking i think beer drinker, and i have never seen a ripped beer drinker :P. The rest is really nice, maybe a little more shading on the pants and boots.
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh well, vikings were actually a very cultured group for the time, and the berserkers were amongst the elite warriors. I don't think people would want to see a fat slob with a beer belly running around. smile.gif
    And the wolf eyes are glass. smile.gif
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    the anatomy of wolf's teeth is wrong.
    http://www.skullsite.co.uk/Wolf/wolf.htm

also i think the pelt needs something to hold it on the guy. right now it looks like it would slid off rather easily. maybe you could add the forelegs draping over his shoulders or loosely tied across his chest.
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    These guys used to braid their beard before going into combat. He looks abit too "wow-dwarf" and not enough viking. Other than that, no real crit that haven`t been pointed out already. Nice one.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ahh well, vikings were actually a very cultured group for the time, and the berserkers were amongst the elite warriors. I don't think people would want to see a fat slob with a beer belly running around. smile.gif
    And the wolf eyes are glass. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Berserkers either wore ONLY wolf/bear skin or were completly naked in battle.
    They might have been elite but not very civil, they ate toxic mushrooms and howled and did all kind of other crazy things before battle to get into frenzy. (theres also a theory that they had some illness that made them go frezny as there have been plenty of cases of them killing their family/friends/fellow combatants).
    And vikings didnt have glass back then.
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vikings certainly did have glass. See here -http://www.regia.org/glass.htm
    I also heard that it has been proved that them eating toxic mushroom to go berserk is false. Regardless, i'm not so concerned with making a historicly accurate game. It just has to be fun and interesting smile.gif
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    I like hime, and never want to meet him. smile.gif
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    todman polycounter lvl 18
    cool, really cool, man. I think the beard cuts off too quick, maybe you could end it with the alpha maps like you did on his boots (I love how you did that by the way) I agree too with the beard having to many polys. His face looks nice and smooth though. good job
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good. the mesh looks nice, but could use more rings around the thigh, for deformations. As dense as he is, he should be able to have perfect definition around there as his legs rotate.

I think over all on the texture, it seems light on detail, and heavy on overlays. It looks like some floodfills with some grime layers overlayed. See if you can get the pants to read more like leather, and make them a bit less perfectly constructed. They might be dirty now, but they look like dirty designer leather pants. Make patches and tears and criss crossed seams, and parts that don't match colorwise cause they ran out of leather, etc etc. Dirty up his beard, and definately make his wolf mask more macabre. Right now it is so pristine, give it tears and dirt, and make it assymetrical, floppy torn ears, rotted out eye, dried up nose, etc etc.

Looking good, but could be better. Face is the best part.