Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

City building environment art

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
It's finished and I probably won't be making changes to it. Just wanted to pimp. It's 6849 polygons total and 39 texures no bigger than 128x128 totalling 495kb. Render is with Maya's default crap renderer.

render_frontTHUMB.jpg

render_closeTHUMB.jpg

render_topTHUMB.jpg

render_leftTHUMB.jpg

render_rightTHUMB.jpg

wireframe_variousTHUMB.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great. My only crits are the pipes/railings on the side (with the ladder) look too thick to be real, and the texture for the pavement (sidewalk) is too clean and regular.
    Apart from that, very nicely done! I like the lighting, and the texturing looks very consistent, always a good thing.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Mop. I totally agree about the sidewalk. Ran out of tex space and that what had to go. I see what you mean about the railing being a bit fat.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, asoon as I looked at that I noticed the rails. Also, I think it needs a bit more trash, like pop bottles, some glass maybe, cans, torn paper, little rocks and stuff. Imperfections is what im getting at. Just think you need to grunge it up a bit, that would definatly make it look alot more real. Very nice so far smile.gif.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    That looks great Jeff. Very atmospheric. Would slot nicely into the Godfather game being made not yards from where I'm sat.

I agree with Pauls crits. Generally the weakesst aspect is everything on the ground plane. So If there was any optimization to be done to your texture set I would free up more space for that. But nice work.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i agree with daz, word by word

k honey ill be waiting outside...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Pfft.. been there, done that laugh.gif

Ha! I am of course kidding and really enjoy what you've done with this. The resolution of the texture used on the street lamps throws me off some (not consistant with the rest of the textures - which are really well done btw).

I think the sidewalk texture could benefit from some dirt and grime - or cluttered with more news paper/garbage to give that dirty look.

The curved pieces you have as support for the roofs trim could of been done with less polys IMO. The ones you save on that could of been used for more garbage and such.

Overall this is great. Good atmosphere, which in the end is what you're looking for. There's other things I'd comment on but that'd give away the test's requirements.

Good job jeffro, keep us posted with how it goes laugh.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    nice renders!

dig the windows
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. Looks like I'll be tweaking this one out more. I'm going to add to the textures and try to hit 1mb and add another 500 or 1000 polys. The ground area was the part that lost the most when I ran out of texture space. So I'll redo the railing area then focus on that. Thanks Daz, that's my dream project. Ashame it's already being made without me. Adam things didn't go so well. Not real upset about it though.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nice work!

My only crit is that you wasted a serious amount of polies on the roof TV arials, they could be planes with a texture and no one but the very most hawk eyed gamer would ever notice / care. Those polygons could be better spent else where or removed to make the game run faster.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point hawken. I suppose that would have been a better way to go about it.