Home General Discussion

VUG Dissappoints a whole community

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
notman polycounter lvl 18
http://community.vugames.com/WebX?14@65.CRNreJ7WkyR.9067637@.1dd97878

I don't know how many of you follow the Tribes series, but recently(Sept 04) VUG released Tribes:Vengeance. Dispite warnings during beta testing, they opted to release the game rather than completing it. Hell, half the supporting features don't even work.
Anyway, they promised a patch in Dec, then strung the Tribes community along for months and even posted a couple days ago that the patch would soon arrive. Then yesterday they announced all patch support was cancelled.

Me and many others have spend a lot of time working on mods for this game, only to have the game totally abandoned.

I just wanted to spread the word of this action for those who are considering future purchases from VUG. Swat 4 is getting developed on Tribes Vengeance's engine. I've also heard the same group is developing it. I suggest all be very cautious when considering this game.

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Aren't most people more interested in Starsiege 2845 (or something), anyway?
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Starseige moved on to the Torque engine because of T:V's lack of support. So did the Renegades mod group.

I was working on the next TAC mod, one of the other most popular mods in the community. We are unsure what our next step will be now.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Vailias sounded more like they moved because the engine couldn't do what they wanted, not because VUG sucks.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    It was kind of a combo of both. We were also having problems with the engines restrictions. But one of their statements was the lack of patch support. The player base was getting extremely low also, which I'm sure was another discouragement.

There is a lot more than one reason that SS stepped away, but many of the reasons are results of mismanagement by VUG. SS was SUPPOSED to be released with the game, but VUG rushed it to market and didn't give the SS guys enough time to get the package ready.
  • AstroZombie
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I just wanted to spread the word of this action for those who are considering future purchases from VUG. Swat 4 is getting developed on Tribes Vengeance's engine. I've also heard the same group is developing it. I suggest all be very cautious when considering this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same company, different group. Tribes: Vengeance was made by Irrational Games, Australia while SWAT 4 was made by Irrational Games, US. It is also not the fault of Irrational Games as the developer because VUG pushed them to release an unfinished product or have cut funding for future support because of a lack of interest in T:V.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I agree. IG is by no means responsible for all this. I don't believe they were ever even contacted to create a patch. I didn't realize that there was a IG Aussie and US though.

I do think a little responsiblity lays on IG in relation to the bugs, but I definitely see in the code areas that were incomplete, most likely from being rushed to market. But the netcode is horrible on the game, and I'm not sure if it's a result of a rush. It seems to me that IG didn't know how to handle an online MP like Tribes. (I know a few of their previous games had online abilities)
  • sundance
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    i couldn't get on with the stupid ballistic- arc pack commonly refered to as a jetpack and gave up a tthe demo stage.

jetpacks should allow you to fly not be something that just makes you jump an long way...
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, that thread was officially removed. They locked the thread where VUG publicly announced the cancellation of the patch support, so one of the members had started another post (my link). Everyone was giving their opinion.
  • parasyte7
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 19
    thats why irrational games is self publishing their newest games.
  • notman
    Offline / Send Message
    I've spoken with the IG guys in the past to get help with the code, and they truly had their hearts in T:V. They are a great group of guys and I want to make sure my comments to get perceived otherwise.