Home General Discussion

Robot Rock

polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Btw... I heard DAfts new single on the radio.. "human afterall" totally bitchen!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool man. I've been a bit of a fan for years. I've liked a lot of their stuff, and hated some of it. To me they're one of those bands that make albums that you cant listen to all the way through. It's just too much. You have to skip.

Funny you should post this, as I was just listening to Mirwais ( production ) as I read it. Daft punk cite him as an influence, and I just did a bit of googling. It's interesting that he has a very low opinion of them. He really doesn't hold back!

Mirwais on Daft Punk: "No, we don't have the same philosophy at all. People like Daft Punk, they don't have any message. They belong to a generation-what can I say about the young, white generation, especially in France? They are all middle class, bourgeoisie. They are well educated. They had good adolescence. They don't have a lot of problems."

I actually find that an exceptionally wanky thing to say. I mean, who's to say that having a white middle class background means that you cant make meaningful good music?! It's that same silly argument that artists in general can't be exceptional unless they're tortured souls, and comedians aren't truly funny unless they were buggered as small children. Bollocks!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hmmmmm

I really can't believe what Mirwais says here. Is that really from him? He actually produced Madonna's 'Music' and wrote 'Naive song' recently. So these words somehow don't really fit :/

Besides that... I obviously grabbed the new DP album right when it was released and I'm a bit disappointed... A few tracks truly kick in the butt, but alot if not all the others are very repetitive and miss the little extra DP touch that was unmistakable in their previous works. (read : huge break in the middle of the song that creates a unpredictable change of attittude on the dancefloor, if you have ever danced on one of these tracks you know 100% what I mean smile.gif I know it's a restricted view on their music but it's so great when it happens)

I've been waiting for these little moments to happen all along the album, and it never happened... I was all sad.

Something else is that, just like Daz says, DP used to build a whole story with their albums, and I like the fact that you have to listen to the all thing. It strangely not happened for me here... but the music videos might very well tie the all thing together, wait and see.

I need to listen to it again, maybe I'm just plain wrong.

Anyways, grab the cd just for the packaging. It's great!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I can't absolutely verify the source of course. This is just stuff I found tonight. To be clear, I think Mirwais is amazing, and I love the Production album, and 'Music'.

Here's the link to the interview I found:

http://www.nextmagazine.net/features/mirwais.shtml

and yeah! So what about the content of the rest of the site!
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Has anybody ever seen the anime movie Interstella 5555?
    It's a collaboration between Daft Punk and Leiji Matsumoto.
    Been meaning to pick it up.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    You mean, "The hippest guide to gay New York" ? laugh.gif

Anyways, weird words from Mir. Hmmm.

Ikraan, grab the movie now! It's great, catchy, and moving. I had the chance to see it in a movie theatre... It's awesome to be there and see the spectators shaking heads on the rythm smile.gif
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    The double-neck guitar really seems like overkill for two chords. Ha. Seriously, I think I liked their last album a lot more. What Pior said.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    interstella 5555 is great and different. I love the ending.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    rockin.
    dunno what more to say, that was indeed one kickin' tune smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i've been listening to the album for a while and i dig it. but i think that's about all i can say about it right now, because i know there's a great deal of variance with their work with regards to accessibility and longevity.

i love Homework and Discovery about equally; hey're two very different albums. while Discovery was much more immediately rewarding, when i bought Homework i was still in high school ... and it was one of the first electronic albums i ever bought. i really didn't like it all that much, i wasn't ready for it. it was a puzzle to me, the overtly repetitive elements were an enigma. but over the years, if i'm in the mood for Daft Punk i find myself reaching for Homework. it gets better with every listen almost 10 years off now, because it's a distilled essence.

just like you can't sit some kid down who's never had beer and give him the best beer ever and expect him to appreciate the difference from Bud Light--he has no frame of reference, and he probably doesn't even like beer. Daft Punk's Homework is like that. after i had weaned myself on more rock-friendly stuff like the Chemical Brothers for a while, Homework sounded better and better, as did all my more 'hardcore' electronic albums (early Autechre in particular).

anyhow, not that i think that 'Human After All' is going to be same kind of slow-burning gem that Homework was necessarily. to me the album seems like a return to the formal structure of Homework, but with the sonic palette cultivated during Discovery. i'm looking forward to seeing how the album sits with me after about a year's time, which is about the length of time i think it takes to even begin to properly rate an album smile.gif