Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bad Dude - Cloth Setup Test

S-S
S-S
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
S-S polycounter lvl 18
20050318 Bad Dude - Cloth Setup Test

- Hi! Haven't posted anything for a while... Bysy trying to make some euros....with bad luck.

- But anyway - here is a cloth simulation test which i have been tweaking during last 3 weeks

- It is not finished yet, but i thought i will show it.

- Been trying to develop scene setups for various things - for animation / personal short film project or such (i have been making a library of effects and animation setups, whenever i have freetime...)

20050317_bad_dude.jpg

- Arms and shoulder shapes looks crap, no cloth simulation there - will test that too when i have time! I also had big problem in general to get things working - Neck bones and hands too are not animated. Animation is obviously just mocap fixed with keyframe layer.

CnC Welcome!

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, that's pretty sweet. Though to me it seems the coat flops about too much, I'm assuming you want it too be leather, though it seems to be bouncning about a lot, and leather is pretty heavy, I think it would hug his legs a bit more.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    His head wobbles around way too much when he is simply walking and makes him loon unnatural. When he pauses in her walk and looks around, that is when the jaunty wobbling motion of his head looks natural.

I would suggest you severely limit the amount of head wobbling he does when walking. It seems like you are trying to imply a specific devil may care sort of attitude in his walk through the head tilting, but it looks like he's trying too hard , like a child trying to immitate an adult.

It might be worth studying an actor like Wesley Snipes in films like Blade or Demoltion man. or Vin Diesel in Pitch Black or the Chronicles of Riddick.

Both these actors always manage to impart a genuine sense of flair and attitude into quick or slow, subtle or dramatic movements, that seem more convincing than many would be action heros.

The thing about acting, good acting, is internalising, your actor is externalising.

Other than the head wobbling which I clearly have issue with, it looks like solid work.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Is there clipping on the right leg or am I seeing things?
    Head moves a bit too much. The rest of the coat looks dead but then...
    Not bad.
  • joolz8000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joolz8000 polycounter lvl 18
    what codec? I tried opening with three different players- no luck.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    what codec? I tried opening with three different players- no luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

XVid codec: http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

Looks good though. The cloth on his coat moves nice. Maybe it should be a little bit more heavy like has been mentioned already.
    I would make his arms move a little bit more stiff. They seem to flop around a tiny bit to me.
    The way he leaves his right foot on the ground when he turns at the end doesn't seem right.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for comments!

Rorshach:
    I understand what you say, and agree on the fact that head is moving too much and looks funny - as i said i used stock mocap and only adjusted arm/shoulder/hand directions to make animation fit for this character! - Like the topic says, i tried to focus on cloth simulation/setup smile.gif - I hope i will have time to alter the animation too.

lkraan:
    AS i said, i tried to focus on cloth. I used reactor, and this is really first test which resembles somekind of usable setup! Will try to tweak it to be more like leather!
    - I think i tested 10x different ways to make skinning / hierarchies to work with cloth simulations... I think overall performance is quite good, but reactor seems very problematic, it is very easy to make clothes "explode" by just tweaking certain parameters a bit - it is very unpredictable IMO frown.gif

- BTW does anyone know any good reactor cloth tutorials?
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Is his coat made out of tire rubber? hehe

I like the motion of the cloth but his sleeves really need some wrinkles. His coat is also a bit too form fitting. Big leather coats like that hang off the pecs, not wrap underneath them. The coat needs to come off his mid-section more as he moves around.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Reduce the amount of "bounce" in the coat, and even more so in the belt, but in general thisw looks like a good way to go.

Scott