Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Firebrand SDK for ut2k4 (fixored!)

CheapAlert
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
Yeah, like my third thread created in the past few days =P
Thanks to Vailias, he uv'd the model with my permission, and he'll rig it too. It's not rigged yet but it's gonna be put into ut2k4 with custom animations. smile.gif

A little over about 3000 triangles, two 1024x1024 textures, .psk and .3ds provided. You may need to weld all verts since MS3d's 3ds exporter sucks (breaks smoothing) and the .psk currently has badly shaded wing membranes, so have lighting off when skinning those areas.

Get the SDK! (220Kb)
FirebrandModel.jpg
FirebrandBody.jpgfirebrandHead.jpg

My skin in progress, very rough, just started
nfsk3.jpg

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    !!!! dude thats a ton of wasted space.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    And the head map is GINORMOUS!
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Anywhere you have bilateral symmetry you can 'fold' on top of the other half. You did it with the wing, why not the chest and face?
  • Darksun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darksun polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    agreed. ooo.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ: well, what could vailias do without distorting it :P

Irritant: Welcome to UT2k4, where body and head maps are both 1024x1024 as a standard

Sett: Perhaps for tattoos and damage?

nfsk6.jpg

Still doing my skin here laugh.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hang on, you put the UV seam for the arm on the FRONT of the arm? That's quite probably the worst place to put it, especially if you actually want other people besides yourself to texture it.
    If the seam was running from the armpit to the bottom of the wrist, it'd be MUCH less noticeable, therefore people wouldn't have to worry about hiding it so well during texturing. Nobody ever sees the underside/inside of the arm in-game anyway, while the view you're presenting there is one of the most-seen angles, and you've gone and put a seam right down it!
    I'd also recommend shading with colour, not black/white or dodge/burn or whatever you're using there. Flesh especially is not just a lighter or darker tone of the same colour/hue, highlights should probably be warmer, different colours, while shadows would usually pick up the environment colour so blues or greens look good in shadows.

Your areas of shadow around muscles are also very large and blurry, they should be sharper on some sides, and smoothly blending out on the other side, to simulate planar angles and light catching form, rather than just "lighter on a muscle, dark around the muscle" which is what you're doing at the moment.
    Study some of Bobo, Qube or Moose's texturing work (those who I can think of offhand who paint lighting well), see how they do it, and learn from that.

Your modelling has improved (although it's taken a while...) but your texturing is still living in a cave hitting dinosaurs with a big stick, you have a full range of colour to play with, so use it!
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Irritant: Welcome to UT2k4, where body and head maps are both 1024x1024 as a standard

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah ok, from the way you posted it, it looked like a 1024x512 skin.

Is 1024^2 required for the heads? Seems to me that a 512^2 flat would be alot better of a resolution match. I understand the whole point of the head being more detailed because it's what you mainly look at, etc, but that seems a tad overkill.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    ok a few things:
    1.) most of you should know by now that you can map any texture that's a power of 2 to any uv map and have it apply. Just because the SDK includes a 1024^2 wireframe doesn't mean you cant paint a 256 map and have it apply the same way. UVW space is vector space just like XYZ, and cares jack about the image pixel resolution. Seriously how do you think Mip-maps work?

2.) Bilateral symetry.. I freaking hate mirrored maps. Its a personal pet peave if I can't have one part of the body different from another. Symetrical Maps look like symetrical maps. Especially if you do anything pattern wise, or if you add "damage" elements to the skin. Nothing like having perfectly symetrical bullet impacts on a chest plate eh? The wings got mirrored because they are so huge they would need their own separate texture to skin appropriately otherwise. Since this is bound for Unreal where the UPL files only specify 2 materials, having the wings on their own map and material just isn't practical. The only reason I didn't separate each leg and arm is cheapy requested them not to be. wink.gif So anyway if the lot of you can find a way to better use the remaining space, while keeping an EVEN Texel-res across the model, and not distorting the texture placement, well hell, I'm all for it.

Now as far as that arm seam goes, yeah that was a mistake due to me not paying enough attention, so disregard this version till I can fix that little detail.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    So anyway if the lot of you can find a way to better use the remaining space, while keeping an EVEN Texel-res across the model, and not distorting the texture placement, well hell, I'm all for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I imidiatly thought, too.
    Keeping the restrictions in mind cheapy wanted (no mirrored geometry etc) it is a reasonably well placed uv-map.
    Some smaller improvments here and there, and being a bit less 'fanatic' about the even texel res might improve the uvmap, but that is really nothing to write home about.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I usually am quite a bit less fanatic about it, but for this one the entire body is really of interest so having random areas become blurry was just a no no in my opinion.

Anyway I've fixed the arm.. still can't believe I didn't realize it was on the front of the arm. Its good I came back to this anyway. I found a few minor distortions I didn't catch the other night, and went ahead and enlarged the cuff areas on the map so it will be easier to print text on them should anyone so choose.
  • renderfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderfox polycounter lvl 18
    there is never a need for 2 1024's blurry is not solved by the map size its done by photoshop skills, the best maps ive seen have been done on 512 and even 256, think about it
  • renderfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderfox polycounter lvl 18
    i dont know UT very well tho...
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    there is never a need for 2 1024's blurry is not solved by the map size its done by photoshop skills, the best maps ive seen have been done on 512 and even 256, think about it

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't conclude to details right at the beginning of skinning. That'll just get me distracted. Besides, UT2k4 relies on 1024x1024 as a standard for it's maximum detail level setting, so you have to be consistent with that (for example, lowering the texture to "normal" detail will bring it down to 512x512 with every other character)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    "Besides, UT2k4 relies on 1024x1024 as a standard..."

nah, you can have your texture be whatever size you want. The highest detail setting will use the highest mip. id suggest a 1024 body and 512 head on this imo. do whatever you want, its your skin smile.gif it isnt necessary to have the head that large, since the head texture will be noticably higher res than the body, and turn out kinda yukky.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the SDK up there. It's all fixed up now, enjoy and have fun! smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *an annoying remindful bump of Page 1 love.*
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My previous skin sucked imo so i'm starting over using his sprite as a side reference effectively "replicating" his sprite look lol (as you can see on his wing there, the rmb color picker is useful). It's rough for now , he won't be this smudgey for long (and a 512x512, but i'll give him 1024 detail and smudgin' love again after i plot his skin down first)

fbsvcskin1.png
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about not making it smudgey to begin with?
    You really are making it more difficult for yourself by putting effort into doing that in the first place... just flesh him out using areas of flat colours (areas larger than 1 pixel, don't get smart with me, heh), and use some transparant brushes to add some early shading, and you'll be able to plan everything much better. As you're doing it now, chances are you'll end up with something that might be nothing more than a polished turd, ie: it's nicely rendered out and all that, but there are areas that could definately be improved...
    And if you'd want to change it you'd have to start over on that bit, and that would be too much work, so you leave it.
    Also, try sketching on all of the details (without shading, ofcourse, but just outlines) with a black 1 px brush, i find that helps me alot in following an idea without getting ahead of myself by detailing an area.

It's good to see you're improving, but i (and everyone else, which warms my hard ever so slightly) can't stress this enough:
    Enough with the goddamned gargoyles.
    It may seem like a great idea to try to do the same theme (and the same variation on that theme, as you've done quite a few incarnations of this particular one) over and over again, but at this point i wonder how much more quickly you'd improve, doing something else.

We should set up some sort of a bet:
    Everyone should pledge to skin his first serious NON-gargoyle (no, your duck isn't quite serious/good enough)
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    wings are too small cheapy.
  • Daedalus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daedalus polycounter lvl 18
    thermidor: did you try the SDK?? wing are as big as the gargoye lOL

chearpalert. i'll try to give a shoot this weekend. i'm strangle by milestone for the moment
    i found there a bit of waste on the polycount but since the anatomy is OK thats..well.. Ok :P
    i ust don't like the hand and feet but the rest is fine
    . Damn you milestone !!! *shake fist*

BTW nice improvement
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mp - good idea though i'd rather blot the colors and stuff of the skin down first then do some skin edge fixing, i'm not keeping it blotchy for long

WArning, there's a slight distortion on some parts of the wing and spar

However I skinned my way through it anyway

http://www.planetgargoyle.com/fbsvcskin20.png
    http://www.planetgargoyle.com/fbsvcskin21.png
    http://www.planetgargoyle.com/fbsvcskin25.png
    http://www.planetgargoyle.com/fbsvcskin26.png (ASS SHOT!)

http://www.planetgargoyle.com/od2y.png (Skinmap)
    http://www.planetgargoyle.com/hedad.png (head skinmap *not pretty*)
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    hi man, looking good but with the sheer mount of space you have you could get ALOT more detail into it! try playing with some design ideas like puting something interesting into it opposed to just a large red muscle structure... and tighten up the painting too get some more colours in thier and sharper shadows and detail... keep going man its looking good so far!

Jody
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    ok waanted to illustrate more what i mean (hate leaving people hanging with criptic crits wink.gif anyway i did a very quick paintover of the torso hope it helps....!?

this could obviously taken furthar by defining the muscles more and creating better ighting as mop said but its start wink.gif

Jody
    before
    od2yours7se.jpg
    after
    od2y8pw.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice to see you using some hard brushes there man, you work is getting better... I think its suffering a bit from a cell shaded look(i know you're going for the .GIF look but still) I would soften up the non-shadow edges(the hard edges by the ahdows are looking good) and work on your transitions esp on large parts like the wings i think that just looks bad. If you've really got a hardon for the cel-shaded look than i would spend a good deal of time cleaning up your lines/edges to make it look nice and polished.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap I forgot about this.

Vailias said he's getting it done very soon, so i'll pick this up again smile.gif

fbn3.jpg
    edit: late update lol
    fbn4.jpg

1024x1024 this time, blender can't paint 1024 very fast on my ath950 so I have to psp5 my details, heh

The wing uvws are still a bit stretched as you can see, however
  • PeteJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJ polycounter lvl 18
    thats looking pretty good cheapy! across the chest area has a real sense of depth and shape. im impressed! the rest of the texture still needs sharpening up but good so far! get a bit of colour variation in there and polish it off.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, cheap with a sense of subtlety in his textures, i fear the world is coming to an end.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    looking nice cheap.

make sure not to forget middle ground values in the skin. You have a ton of highs, and a ton of lows.... but very little 'fill' middle ground color. it makes it look patchy and blocky as opposed to an organic curtain over muscle.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    the wing uv's are a bitch
    FBwings.jpg

i'm way out of practice in the texture department. of all people, guess whose sdk i picked to play with. about 2 hours so far. gargoyle week continues.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK HERE IS A WHOLE NEW MESH GUYS

Currently standing at 2438 triangles.
    fb9.jpg
    fb8.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Seems to be a big improvement from your last version, so i definately can't fault you for doing him up again. You've really made some leaps and bounds in your modelling with these last models.

the only thing that looks like its been neglected are his feet. they still look rather blobby and unrefined. everything else got so much love, why not the feet?

also sort of looks like his wings are just stuck through his back polys... not actually connected. I suppose thats for animation purposes?

now show us your leet unwrapping skillz!
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL they're my 1337 unwrapping skillz bitch. :P (cheers Ian) I just buggered the wings on the last version.

heres to hoping I get some more time to finish the animation set for the garg.
  • Zatoichi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatoichi polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, Vail. Thought I'd find you here! I would skin this if I had the time...but now I barely have time to skin Cybrid stuff! wink.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2610 triangles
    fb10.jpg
    fb11.jpg

He now has teeth planes that can be alpha masked. He has no modeled fangs.

He also has bracers

The feet are now fixed.

The wings aren't welded because I chose not to, i wanna have a back without holes :O and i don't wanna wreck up the edgeloops there also. However, I have moved the wings closer into the back to fit it in more.

There's something up with those knees, and i can't put my finger on why.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Is that a mirrored instance or the mirror modifier from the CVS build?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, it's a Linked duplicate, which has been in blender for quite some time.
  • Augh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Augh polycounter lvl 18
    The calf muscle at this angle (the fatty one in the back, whatever it's called) seems to start just above rather than below/at the knee... Is that it?
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I think that is the problem.

Also, those forearms are a might bulbous looking.

Otherwise, nice job smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I have a tendency to call "linked duplicates" instances. Must be too much OOP.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Knees fixed, new uvs are underway hopefully. They won't be as much as a pain in the ass the last time.
    fb14.jpg

Also, i've started work on the highpoly mesh, and yeah i'm gonna try to normal map this sucker also
    fb13.jpg
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    cheap... man... you've gotten so much better. smile.gif Good work so far!
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah

working slowly like a jerk

fb16.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    not bad at all dude smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy shit kp posted in my thread and gave me a bit of praise omg omgogmogmgommomg

anyhow, i resumed on him again, not much big changes but i'm on the stage where i flesh out the limbs now

fb18.jpg
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    NO MORE GARG PENIS! If I never, ever, EVER, EVAR, NEVAAAR saw another gargoyle penis it would be too soon. Good progress tho.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i seriously hate seeing so much penis.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's actually more of a normal map experiment, he'll have it replaced with a nice bulge in the end
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like Cheap is keeping this one's peni a little smaller than normal. You guys should be happy. wink.gif

btw, it's really coming together, could turn out pretty good.