Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Jason of the Argo hi-lo

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
lo poly character is 3300 polys would appreciate all feedback/ comments,Would like to normal map if poss(use max 7) if anyone has links.
It is not supposed to be realistic.trying to get that soul calibur/tekken look.
Really wanna bring him to life with texture.what do you suggest (1x512 for head,1x1024 for body?)also want to add sheen effect on skin like boxers in fight night 2(any ideas) also if normal mapping is no-go or beyond me then what about bump?
Any critic good or bad welcome.
jasonwirelo2bo.th.jpg
jasonhipoly3le.th.jpg
jasonlopoly8wg.th.jpg

Replies

• kunglao
    Offline / Send Message

the texturing is where i need help,i am good at freehand painting using photoshop/painter but really want to encompass some new techniques especially normal mapping(any tuts please donate)
    normally when model is complete i then delete all symmetrical parts (to be mirrored later)
    assign different id's to parts and uvw/unwrap in max using checker map in order to line it up nicely.once done i use textporter to get my mesh bitmap which i then paint in photoshop/painter.
    But i wanna take my texturing further(ignoring normal mapping which i wanna learn)i want to take on vertex bake.
    I have read endlessly different opinions on doing things but was taken with bob the seal's work and looked at his vertex baking tut,one thing i need to know does he get the model ready sim to my outline above before he sets up lights?
    next(sorry for long post but really after serious answers so i can crack on).
    As said earlier want to achieve that sheen effect on skin like fight night 2 is this achieved by using specular?(can someone go into detail or give links on tuts)
    thanks for your time
    one last thing on fight night2 there eyes look fanatastic-they have like a watery film over the eyeball any ideas,also when i paint highlights onto eye both eyes seem to have hightlight facing diff directions
    again sorry for long post but want to get a good understanding of advanved texturing before i get into my model for my portfolio
  • kdub
    Offline / Send Message
    kdub polycounter lvl 18
    it looks good man, you should have no problem normal mapping that. i think max 7 itself supports normal mapping without any plugins or anything so you should just be able to look in the documentation and figure it out in no time.

also, if you are going to use a normal map there really isnt much reason for a vertex bake. the diffuse texture for a model with normal mapping will not have very much shading painted into it, so there really isnt any reason to do a vertex bake (the normal map is essential a higher resolution dynamic vertex bake anyway).

as for the glossy eyes with the good hilights, that is done by adding sort of a 'shield' over the eye. the hilight and shadow from the brow and eyelid are painted onto this shield. this way the higlights dont move with the eyes.

the only thing that bothers me about the model is the hips look a little womany
  • kunglao
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks kdub,appreciate your feedback.I do admit the hips look slightly feminine but thats largely to the skirt and plates hanging off chest armour,as for why i asked about vertex bake it was to be my 2nd option if normal mapping dont work out.
    I have grabbed the vertex bake tut from bobo the seal(great artist)but what i would like to know is do you id,uvw/unwrap before starting bake and what about all symmetrical parts in my pevious models i always deleted them can you advise,lastly any idea on that sheen effect on skin (as in fight night 2) is this specula? if you can offer ideas links for tuts etc.I would thankful
    gonna have a quick attempt at normal map until feedback rolls in,will let you know how i get on