Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Raymond Deep Reach Hilo 6200

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lore polycounter lvl 18
Since I'm a gluten for punishment I'll post up this model to see what you guys think. I was aiming just under 6000 polygons and got 5913, so I could play around with adding in some more. The intended use of this model was for a game design I have been slowly working on, and I need to model up some sort of transportation vehicle.

Another note is I'm hoping to do some of the detail in the texture and the normal map that I'm working on for all the metal plates and welding points. The cables and hydraulic hoses are going to be done on the planes inside the mast area.

As source goes there isn’t a whole lot of an image, I even tried to find the schematics at http://www.raymondcorp.com/ But they mostly have brochures and small images so I had to work off those and from memory (why didn’t I illegally take a picture when I should have….). I also viewed the video to figure out all the mechanical parts, but feel very unsatisfactory in the Reach components.

Hilo_render_01.jpg

Hilo_render_02.jpg

Hilo_render_03.jpg

Hilo_render_04.jpg

Hilo_render_05.jpg

Hilo_render_06.jpg

Hilo_render_07.jpg

Hilo_render_08.jpg

Hilo_render_09.jpg

Hilo_render_10.jpg

Hilo_render_11.jpg

Oh I know I don't have the planes reach all the way the bottom. I had fixed this after I had created these images. That and the push isn't showing all the lines. Maybe next time I wont set it to .001 but I hope you get the idea where the geometry is at. Also I need to force the flow of geometry in the instrument panel. So far it has taken me under 8 hours for to model this.

Replies

• The3DGuy
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty good, i drive a Yale model of somethign similiar at work everyday, only we call it the Starwars for some unknown reason. Looks pretty realistic. good job.
  • dabu
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Looks mechanically feasible, I had to stare at it for a while to figure out what it was. Good luck texturing that bad boy.
  • Lore
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Update time. Sadly I need to improve my texturing time big time.

t_hilo-render2_1.jpg

t_hilo-render2_2.jpg

t_hilo-render2_3.jpg

t_hilo-render2_4.jpg

t_hilo-render2_5.jpg

t_hilo-render2_6.jpg

t_hilo-render2_7.jpg

t_hilo_texture_case.jpg

t_hilo_specular_case.jpg

t_hilo_texture_mast.jpg

t_hilo_specular_mast.jpg

crits are welcomed.

Edited: fixed links
  • Enix
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, unwraping that must have been a bitch. But I think you handled it very well, i think its really nice, simple and clean, and you pulled it off very well. Good job laugh.gif.
  • SjetvsKerrigan
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    Your renders link to 404 errors. frown.gif
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hey man, this looks really good. Few questions though... why such a high polycount and why such a high resolution for the texture?

Generally things like this aren't a main focus in a game and wouldn't get as much lovin' as you've given it. A 1024x1024 for DeepReach seems extremely steep.
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Your model is very technically sound, but not very efficient use of your polygons. That aside, does your UV layout use any mirroring at all? I'm confident more detail could be achieved from one 256x256 texture.

If this is 3d art, pretty good job. If it's game art, start over.
  • Lore
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the input.

AdamBrone: The use of 1024x1024 was a quick decision. I was going to break it down, but for some reason I didn't. If I had a time machine I would have done 4x 256 textures.

Cholden: Yes I do have some overlapping mirrored UV's, but I'm not following with the ability to nock it down to one 256 without losing the lighting information on it.

Though it is a little late, but could help me next time I model. In what way have I wasted polygons, please point out the general area on the Raymond?
  • cep
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    Fair enough

I think this is very well done, both texture and model.
    Good job.
  • Jon Jones
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Jones polycounter lvl 18
    Lore, decent model, but I agree with Chris Holden here, especially on the texture. In theory, you're correct that you would lose some lighting information, but from looking at the texture itself, there isn't that much lighting information to lose. Especially on the small pieces.

It could definitely be reduced in size dramatically with some creative UV work, and it could have saved you a *lot* of painting. Trust me, I do this all day. smile.gif If you're interested, I can highlight a few areas you could save space in.

Cep, it's clear that you've never worked on games where polygon and texture efficiency matters. Chris has years of PC and console experience, and for my part, I'm currently working on a major PSP title. What he said is completely accurate and draws from a much deeper well of experience than many of the artists on this forum. You're a good kid, but perhaps you should show a little more respect to those with more experience than you.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    id exaggerate your specular a bit more, will pop edges a little better.

ahhhh memories of home depot come back with this model.... smile.gif