Also, here's a head i made this morning
http://student.nackademin.com/dg04220/headzo4.jpg

Crit away!

Replies

• Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the textures underdetailed for the resolution you've chosen, there's no lighting at all either
  • skullsplitter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skullsplitter polycounter lvl 18
    I like the model itself, but the skin is a bit flat, perhaps you can practise on shading and detailing a bit more...
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Looks great, but you need to push your values more. It looks like you've only got some (nicely done) midtones in so far.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    A LArge Number of Authenticity errors. Is this supposed to be from Viet Nam, or WW2? It looks more viet Nam, but the insigina on the helmet is for the US Army 1st Cavalry. The Uniform looks like a mixture of the first pattern and M 1967 Field uniform. The vest is an "army" Flak Vest, and the marines had a different, and "Better" pattern M1951 Vest that they used in Viet Nam. The Boots need some work as well. Do you need reference?

here's one for the Boots.
    Jungleboots.jpg

and the rest of the site is good for general "ARMY" issue gear. for USMC Issuem the equipment was slightly different.

http://hometown.aol.com/rtoartilleryfo/helmets.html

Monsoon.jpg
    Young Marine wearing ERDL Uniform in the Monsoon in Vietnam, 1969.

The guy's site.
    http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/7414/USMC.html

gomer-usmc.jpg
    Only the older guys will get this one.

Viet%20Nam%20Soldier%20kneeling.jpg

If you want I can get my USMC 'nam gear ut of the closet and Photograph it.

Hope this helps

Scott
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin like a great start man. Depends on what engine is going into but if you are just doing it as an artistic piece you probobly need to add quite a bit more shadow depth in there. Also scott knows his stuff, definantly listen to his crits. smile.gif Thoes boots ALWAYS throw people off, i have a pair on one of my characters and i keep getting "make his boots more bulky"... but army boots aren't bulky at all in reality.

Also, with the face make his eyes closed a little more, he looks a little like a deer in the headlights of a huge truck. wink.gif Add a layer on top of the skin with alot of reds, blue/greys, yellows, and oranges where they should be. Red - cheeks/nose, blue/greys - stubble, oranges - forhead, yellows - bone close to skin. Just slap them down and then play with the opacity of the layer. Feel around on your face and look in a mirror the best reference you have is one you can touch. Good luck. Keep us updated. smile.gif

Scott: Gomer pile goes to the marines hahaha. That was a good episode. laugh.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Spinks, this has a lot of potential. As allready said, you need to boost your contrast values a little more, and n30g3n3s1s has some other good texture crits there. Listen to Mr. Ruggels with the authenticity help. You at least wanna get it 95% accurate I would have thought.

I think his proportions might be making him a little child like. So get a pic of mr. average stood in that stance and compare. He feels a little on the stumpy side. The other biggest thing I would work on with the geo, is the helmet. Curvy helmets are tough to get right, but it's so worth it. Since its often the signature of an army at a quick glance. Yours is a way off right now ( in fact in side view If you turned it 180 degrees it would work better than it is now ). I bet If you googled hard enough, you could find an actual side, front and underside ortho of a period U.S helmet. Import that in your scene and use as a template. Never consider that cheating btw. You're simply making life easier for yourself and getting the best result possible.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Very true Daz, The more you just "wing it" the more funky it looks. A good reference is the key to making your life easy. Here's the first thing that poped up as a good angle reference http://www.fortmadness.com.ua/vietnam/images/steelpotlarge.jpg

Scott, if Spinks isn't interested and its not to much trouble, I am. I'd love to get a good reference shot of those helmets, ive been wanting to a Nam USMC character myself. Seems like an under-done type of game. Usualy its all WWII. wink.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Okay I can put together some Helmet reference tonight or tomorro night.

Scott
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Haha, Scott is on the case, better be ready for the long haul on this one Spinks!
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    Hey everybody. thanks for the replies

Marine, Skull, Cheese: I agree about the contrast and detailing being low, gotta work on that. This is the first texture i've brought to this level of "completion" so i might have been too concentrated on getting it all together rather than making it look good smile.gif

Scott: Vietnam was what i had in mind. I originally worked off a concept sketch but i realised too late that it was far to vague and i ended up doing a lot of guesswork... i probably wont do any major reworks for now but i really appreciate the input. Some helmet shots would be nice.

n30g3n3s1s: i agree about the eyes, will tweak it. I actually did use an overlay on the face with the colors you suggested, maybe because the contrast is lacking it isn't as clear as it should be.

Daz: Proportions are a bit stumpy. i didn't want to make him look like a comicbook superhero but maybe i overdid it. Good call on the helmet, will tweak it some.

Great, constructive replies overall, if i take on a similar project again i'll be sure to do more research beforehand