Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Hero" Character Art Test

calbar
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
calbar polycounter lvl 18
So I got an art test from a company with a concept sketch to work from titled "Hero". The twist was that they wanted it in 3D Studio Max, a program I had never used before, with the model due in a week.

Requirements:
- 2500 tris max
- one 512 x 512 map
- articulated eyes and mouth

So after totally freaking out, I decided to just go ahead and learn it. I owe Ben Mathis (poop) a massive thanks for the tutorials he provides - my character was modeled and uv mapped in 3 days as a result. Obviously, this is my first 3dsm character - crits are welcome as always smile.gif.

hero_shaded.jpg
hero_wire.jpg
hero_close.jpg
hero_tex.jpg

And then I just had a question for you guys - how long could you expect to wait for a response for these type of things? It's been a few weeks now and I've followed up twice with no response - is that bad? normal? I just don't have a frame of reference for it yet. Anyway, thanks for any feedback!

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Nicely build mesh, but the texture could need some work. It looks too "muddy"... maybe more highlights would help?
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    looks like the rock hehe, nice stuff
  • yourface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yourface polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, I did the same test three weeks ago. heres mine if your interested

->TRUE DAT<-
  • yourface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yourface polycounter lvl 18
    you want to see somthing REALLY funny, I was cruzing turbo squid looking for some doctor models for this GIG i got and ran across this..

if he didnt get hired at least he got some use out of his test

also here is my friends test too. its pretty awsome, you have to navigate though its in 3dart/personal work/ second picture
    3d art/personalwork/2nd pic
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    It's funny how fast you can adapt to different programs so easily, isn't it? I was in the inverse of your situation some time ago and found it was actually fun learning the pros and cons of similar software. The model looks really great, although it could be optimized a bit in the legs and feet. The texture is pretty good too. I would personally like to see more contrast throughout and maybe a smidgen more saturation in the green. Also, the face is really nice untill you get to the cheeks where it looks like you've just gone in and burned a faux shadow around the cheekbone. Some more attention to that would fix it right up.
    As far as how long you should wait for a response, everyone company is of course different. I wouldn't sweat it too much. My first art test was reviewed and responded to within 3 hours. The second test was in their hands for 2 weeks before a response. It's a busy time right now with companies hiring up for the new wave of holiday-release games so just give them a bit more time.
  • calbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks for the feedback guys.

I just checked it out on a CRT and I totally see what you mean about it being muddy - I don't get that impression so much on this LCD.
    About the face, that was me trying to rationalize a really defined line down the cheek of the concept confused.gif; I never thought I hit it right and let it go to hand him in.

So, speak o' the devil, I just got a reply from them and they decided not to go with me anyway, haha. Oh well, back to the drawing board (tablet). This model's just another piece in my portfolio now, so additional crits and feedback are still welcome grin.gif.
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    Hey,

I did the same test about 6-8 months ago; also turned down but heres what I came up with if you care to see what other people did. If you feel I'm hijacking your thread let me know Ill pull it.

And yes.. I think I made his eyes too squinty smile.gif

melkior
    CarlKidwell-Test.jpg
  • calbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah, that's cool - it's very interesting to see how the concept was interpreted by other people, and I don't seem to be getting anymore feedback on my guy anyway. Thanks for sharing grin.gif
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    yo wassup calvin ( i was in demo reel with you i believe),

this guy looks great. my only hangup is with the face. not the head, but the face itself. it looks like its somewhat scaled down and placed as a whole on the head itself. check the proportions maybe?

i thought you were doing animation? why you trying to give me competition..:p
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, that looks very cool calbar, i realy like how the pants look. Nice poly useage too imo..

Is it possible for us to see this concept sketch like on thier site or something? or do you actualy have to sign up for the test or something?
  • calbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, thanks guys!

Badge: I can't glean any information from your profile - I'll PM you about DRC grin.gif.
    I can kinda see what you're saying about the face though. The concept only provided a side view of the face, so I made sure to match those proportions accordingly; maybe it's squished horizontally?
    And about animation, I tend to dip into alot of things - I'll be doing some more animation as soon as my animation character is rigged up wink.gif.

IceWolve: Thanks man - the concept was provided when I was given the test. I wish I could show it, but haven't gotten a response as to whether I can or not. I'm assuming not until they say otherwise smirk.gif.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    cool cool. i talked to Erice the other day and he said you got the job?

so congrats if you did.

catch ya later.
  • calbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, I wish - the hunt still continues crazy.gif
  • renderfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderfox polycounter lvl 18
    CALVIN!!!
    when are you gonna crit my stuff? i like this alot, especially the the torso texture, the legs seem to have too much going on with the texture, very busy. the face kinda bothers me too, it just doesnt feel like the rest of it or sumthing, cant really tell.

And why would anyone listen to Erice, like he knows!, just kidding, but for real calvin, crit my shit!