Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Larger than Life fella

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Empty polycounter lvl 18
For my next project im going to make a well built middle aged man wearing a toga. As far as polycount im hoping to make him 3.5k polys. Here goes 2nd character model and I've already learned alot.

Heres what I have so far (Currently 2.1k Polys)
merchant1.jpg

CC please.

Replies

• Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Merchant2.jpg
    still no clothes
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    The shoulders and upperarm are far too skinny, I suggest working a lot more on that area. Fat guys always have chubby arms. I also think his "boobs" could come down a bit lower. Keep it up smile.gif
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    yea youve just got a guy with a big stomach. there are a lot of things that make a person "fat". fat and overweight are pretty different.

sag the pecs, flab the arms ( dont make them muscular mind you) add some rolls, and for the love of god give him some pants!!! jk wink.gif
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Lol badge. Hes got nothing to hide. :P

Merchant4.jpg
    Any better?

Hands are looking a bit small to me now.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hey matt, this is a good start. Basic proportions are a little off though. Most people ( average build or otherwise ) are around 7 to 7 1/2 heads tall.
    Your guy is about 5 and a half giving him proportions that wont look adult.
    So, scale the head down or stretch the torso up. I think he's perhaps a little too wide in the shoulders right now too. Make sure you have lots of ref. of naked fat people as you're modeling this guy!
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, his proportions are difinately off. I'll get on that.

Ive been having trouble finding good "large people" refs. Which is definately the cause of my proportion dilemma.

Thanks for the CC so far guys, im currently spread between 3 projects right now, but im on spring break and have no friends so I've got lots of time to work.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    A good way of getting a very basic idea of a fat person is take a regular person you've done and just add a push modifyer to him! Just select the verts you want to push then collapse the stack afterwards. It makes them bloat up and you can just play around to see what you like. He'll always stay 7 1/2 heads tall if you dont select his head verts. Anyway, good luck you may want to render on a neutral grey next time. Its easier to see the silhouette of your model. Also, Showing off your wire frames will always get you extra crits that could save you a load of time in the end!

Good luck, keep on keepin on. wink.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Bingo wings.......he needs bingo wings.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Bingo Arms :P
    http://www.telemedicine.org/dm/fh.jpg

I dunno if he's gonna be that large, but anyways heres where I'm at now. Looking back through this thread I can really see alot of progress being made. Thanks guys.

Merchant5.jpg
    Merchant6.jpg
    Keep CC comming smile.gif
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Nice start dude smile.gif It looks like a solid mesh and the edges are flowing quite nicely, especially liking the upper body and arms smile.gif

The main thing that you might wanna look at though is the weight of the character- at the moment, he looks as though he's been filled up with helium rather than carrying around an excess of fat. You want to be having more curvature towards the undersides of the surfaces rather than on top, so you get a bit of sagging- you have started to do this on his chest, and if you can translate this in to the stomach, his backside and in the face, it should help give him the weight that you're trying to imply in the mesh.

Once you get that sorted, it will make him look like a proper lardarse laugh.gif
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    needs love handles, he looks more bloated than fat, i could send you personal reference pics of myself, but i charge alot and you'd be turned on, that and i dont have any that arent on a bear skin rug...
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Hah, The refs would be awsome foehammer.

When I said fat I really meant a guy with a beer belly and no butt.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/matt22181/MerchantConcept.jpg
    Kinda like this sketch but not as muscular.

CC is awsome!
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Hey sorry for taking so long , school and internship stuff really had me bogged down.. Portfolio stuff frown.gif

Anyways, I decided it was high time to put some clothes on this guy. Im not sure if I went about this the best way but I'll leave it to you all to decide.

Merchant7.jpg
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    Giving the Buddist Monk look. Nice touch !
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    actually trying for the ancient greek look but i'll take it :P
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    TOGAAA! TOGAAA! I like, give him a beer keg and one of those rings of leaves on his head he's gold! I likey.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    hes actually for a mod.. but now that you mention it I think I will give him a keg. smile.gif