Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Weekly Challenge #2 Final Post thread

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
bearkub polycounter lvl 18
OK guys, it's 1100AM Sunday where I am, so finish up what you got and post the final results here. Since each of you are supposed to have 5 textures a piece, it would be nice if you could use thumbnails in your post with links to the full-size image. Let's see what yah got!

Replies

• JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Rushed out the last couple to fill up the numbers, just to call it done.

vicdoor1-tmb.jpg
    vicwin1-tmb.jpg
    vicwin2-tmb.jpg
    vicwin3-tmb.jpg
    vicwin4-tmb.jpg
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    [EDIT: Fixed the textures!]

Done in a bit of a rush tonight.
    Not exatly traditional victorian style, but based on photo-ref from St Francis Xavier church in Liverpool, described by the Liverpool Architecture and Design Trust (LADT) as 'the most moving repository of Victorian Catholic art in the country'. The church opened in 1848.

wall1t.jpgwall2t.jpg
    wall3t.jpgwall4t.jpg
    wall5t.jpg

[EDIT #2, 17/03/05: More Textures completed!]
    wall6t.jpgwall7t.jpg
    wall8t.jpgwall9t.jpg
    wall10t.jpggrass1t.jpg

More info on St Francis Xavier's
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Hey guys

Looking really nice there guys...

Jon are you there not just straight photos?? wink.gif they look soo damn nice,I still can't get my fat head round that cement I posted about before though!!...oh well no matter smile.gif.

bast:- Simple but nice,one thing that does bother me though is where the bricks meet the cement (cement round the doors and edges of your textures,me and my damn probs with cement smile.gif ) it all looks far to purfect,I would ahve thought there would be cracks appearing also a shadow where the bricks would hang out over the cement wouldn't go a miss to add abit more depth. apart from that good job

Looking forward to other submissions,the qiality displayed throughout peoples threads is really nice this week,hopefully the final touch ups meet the bill!!

Good luck

john
  • kleinluka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kleinluka polycounter lvl 18
    i only made 2. eat me.

kl_polycount2.jpg
    kl_polycount1.jpg
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Bronco, aye, they do come from photos which I took specially for the contest. They hav been made to tile, and hue-shifted to match. The texel/scale is off between the first two and last two, but I was pushed for time. I think I only spent about two hours on this in Photoshop, all together.

If anyone is interested, I'm happy to package up the original photos to have a look.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Jon,If you could do that would be great,see if i can come up with similar results to you (tiling practice etc,still getting my head round these elements of texturing).....even if I can't they do make some great texture ref pics smile.gif.

Unfortunatily I ddidn't take part because I got a flu bug mid week and was then bedbound for two days and after that just lost all motivation for art,despite going as far as the libarary to find refs.

Klein:- I really dig the wall paper,has a nice dark gritty,old feel to it,sort of thing ya maight find in a max payne game.
    The wall is also pretty good.

john
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    floor2.jpg

wall.jpg

window.jpg
    Well I got 3 of the 5. I find this whole victorian subject a bit difficult, I hope for some sci-fi setting or something in the future.

kleinluka I love your texture and I would love to know how you did them, but thats maby too much love :P
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    bast:- Simple but nice,one thing that does bother me though is where the bricks meet the cement (cement round the doors and edges of your textures,me and my damn probs with cement ) it all looks far to purfect,I would ahve thought there would be cracks appearing also a shadow where the bricks would hang out over the cement wouldn't go a miss to add abit more depth. apart from that good job

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Bronco.

The real-world church is actually in pretty good condition, so there's no real cracks or wear to speak of. You're probably right about the shadow, though.

I guess it's more about what looks right than exactly replicating the real-world object, though, so I'll probably go back over the textures at a later date & give 'em a polish.

Any idea who won, by the way?