Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Base Female Head

HotHead
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HotHead polycounter lvl 18
Ok well, here's my latest WIP. It's the start of a base female head which I'm going to use for a pair of female characters. I'm mostly looking for some crits on my mesh flow and proportions. I'm planning on having the characters a little higher poly than normal, around 9K-10K max like that of a character in a fighting game. I'm undecided but I'm thinking of maybe doing a higher poly version for a normal map.

FemaleHeadWire.jpg

The two girls are going to be twin sisters but one who is and Archangel warrior and one who is a Demon warrior. Both will have wings (feathered and batlike respectively) and armor. I want the armor to be light and non-bulky so that I can show on my reel that I know my male/female proportions. Both will also still be very humanoid looking, with no major deformations other than the wings. Maybe some claws and fangs for the demon. As far as weapons I was thinking a slim and easy to handle sword(like a katana) for the angle and a scythe or pair of meaty sickles for the demon. The angel will be pretty typical looking over all for and angle but I want the demon to have a decent Goth over tone. Lots of belts and straps.
The only problem I'm having now is putting that down on paper. I always run into this problem when I'm creating characters....I can visualize it but when it comes to putting it in physical form on paper I hit a brick wall. Most my drawings end up with holes in it from erasing too much.confused.gif I always seem to model better from others’ concepts anyways.

Replies

• Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Lol, I know what you mean. I can imagine what I want, but when it comes to drawing it for someone else to see, I tend to fall short. tongue.gif
    But the concept behind the project sounds good. I can't wait to see it all finished grin.gif

The chin is kinda wide and squarish, which is fine if that's the look you're going for, but it doesn't give it a definitely feminine look.
    You could also chamfer that edge around the eye, since it looks a bit sharp, and add another loop around the mouth.

And off to sleep . . .
  • Kashaar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kashaar polycount sponsor
    Hmm, the face is kinda long, especially the nose, which looks pretty masculine to me. I agree with Slipstream about the chin.

Then again it's perfectly fine... we tend to look for beauty ideals when criticizing proportions, but real people mostly don't look like the ideal ;-)

Then again you have to consider what potential employers look for in your rig... the train of thought goes on and on...
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    Thats one massive forehead. Its so.. flat and square. Im not saying that people dont look like that, but still, its a little scary.

Great work on the rest!
  • HotHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone got and crits on my mesh flow? I know that mesh flow is what really sells organic models in lower poly forms, as well as deformation when animating, so I wanna make sure that my technique is up to par.

Thanks for the feed back guys. I'll tweek the chin as you guys sudgested. Now that I look at it, the chin is a little wide. I'm sure the forehead looks a little bigger than what it'll end up looking like because there isn't any hair yet. But I'll take note to check that once the hair gets in. I used Natalie Portman's face as a reference and she has a slightly more pronounced jaw and cheeks than your idealistic female. I'll keep you posted once I get my concepts finished.
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    This week is not a good week to post stuff for comments. Most of the regulars are off to GDC this week

At the moment, I don't think she looks very feminine. I know you want realistic proportions, but having some style is also nice. The chin does need to be narrower. I think you need more detail in the lips too. Another ring around the mouth would help. Add some detail to the nostrails too, currently they just end at the face, give them some roundness. The inside of the ear needs some work too.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not in the best mood to give crits right now, so ill just post and example and say your loops could use some work. Ill try to give you a better post when i wake up tomorrow.
    ricci.jpg
    Im not trying to say this is the best way to do your loops but it worked very well for me, also one thing i will say is you should work on make the lips flow into the rest of the geometry and maybe post a smooth shaded shot... From those shots it looks like you might have some odd corners on her lips and a very sharp edge on the upper lip but its just too hard to tell. Anyway, it looks like you have a good base so far but it could use a bit of work.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    i think your eyes are a bit deep set.

and bring the muzzle (mouth area) forward. draw a line straight down from the front of the forehead. the front of the mouth and chin should line up with it. tends to happen if your head ref is slightly tilted forward.
  • HotHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick update with a few tweeks I've made. This is the Low poly verion I'm posting now. I posted before with a mesh smooth to help with the feel of the mesh flow. I got the impression that some of the comments were made asuming that it was ment to be critiqued as a high poly model. Sorry for the confusion. Anyway...I've narrowed the chin and jaw...toned down the cheek bone very slightly. Dropped the forehead some as well as the top of the head over all in attempt to help stray from the defining male characteristics. I also added another loop around the mouth as sudgested. Let me know if you think if I'm moving more towards being more feminine looking?

FemaleHead.jpg
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Huge improvement!!! I think the forehead sticks out too much, though. Like, have it pull back a little bit after the brow. Also, could you post a shot from the front, with pure black eyeballs so we can see the shape of the eyes? They looks too slanted, to me.