Home Contests & Challenges Archives

MoP - Victorian texture set!

MoP
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MoP polycounter lvl 18
OK, gonna try to finish this one... cos I really like the subject matter :P

Stuff like this is just fantastic, this is the sort of look I'll be going for - peeling painted metal, smoke-stained brickwork etc. Very industrial workhouse feel. I actually found a decent victorian-era out-of-commission tram house about 30 minutes walk from here this afternoon, got some video of that.

Reference I'm looking at:

cid_2510402.jpg

I'm getting this stuff from http://www.greatbuildings.com/types/styles/victorian.html
A little treasure of nice reference photos.

Replies

• Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Haha MoP great minds think alike...

Im gonna have ago at this one as well but first wanna finish up the Suess(hopefully tonight at last).But im not gonna make my thread.

Anyway about that ref pic ya have,I have the exact same pic in 1 of 4 books I hired out from the libary yesterday,its of the Midland Grand Hotel....got plenty more refs of it and lots of info baout its construction etc,intresting stuff.Also has the constructions and images of Towerbridge.

The Book is called "Britains best Buildings" if you get a chance to pick something up from a libary smile.gif.

john
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That's actually St. Pancras' station, I think. But thanks for the book recommendations smile.gif

Edit: Oops, they are one and the same! St. Pancras' was built into/over/around the Midland Hotel, apparently...
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *hits MoP over head with book in question*...I know smile.gif.

Ok man ill stop spamming your thread now....good luck with the challenge.

john
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    Now there was me thinking about popping into town to do some resource gathering on Bristol Temple Meads station.

Best of luck
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Right, here's my first batch.
    Yeah, there's 6 here, but I like this theme so much I might even do as many as 20 :P

This is my "Workhouse" set ... I still have a few to make, archways for doors, and some brick trim and such, but I'm fairly happy with these ones ... I haven't done any texture work for ages!

The set so far:
    vicset1.jpg

Quick test render:
    testrender.jpg

Enjoy!

MoP
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    5 256x256 textures that can be tiled for use on a floor or wall

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than that, these looks ace. Your base (and ultimately all the rest) have a row of dark bricks that run horizontally through the texture. It's really noticable on the test you've done - might be something to think about changing later on.

Good job man!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, as I say, I'm gonna do about 15-20 of these then pick the best 5 for submission. I have plans for floors, ceilings, interior walls and trim smile.gif
    And you're right about the dark brick row, I was aware of it but didn't get round to fixing it. I'll go over these later and sort it out smile.gif
    Thanks!
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
    Great start.
    The black dark brick is the only complaint I can see at the moment.

Can't wait to see the rest.
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
    Out of curiousity, how much of that is photosourced and how much is painted?
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work MoP
    I wonder too, the bricks are so well done are they pictures or painted? Could you post a link to the foto if this the case, and they are free :O
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    About 80% photosourced, 20% painted. I wanted to go for industrial realism, so I figured the easiest route would be photos as bases rather than trying to hand-paint everything.

Badname: I bought the CDs from http://www.mayang.com/textures last year, they're a great resource, but you can download the textures for free off their site too. I just like having them all on one handy disc smile.gif
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey looking really good there MoP...

Though ya know,same complaints as the others....

The quality this week is of very high standard im impressed,not sure I can get mine done though,picked up a flu kind of bug and feel like crap,spent the best part of the last 24hours in bed. frown.gif

Anyway,keep them coming sir!!

john