Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Critics needed on Portfolio. thx

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Lore polycounter lvl 18
I know I don't have my logo on any of the images in the gallery’s. I'll get them on marked with the logo as soon as I can once I redo it as I lost the vector based one on a hard drive crash.

Being that this hour 19, my English is the first thing to go, so I must apologize. That and get this done late. It always seems that nothing is quite the way you want it. confused.gif

I would like critics of my online portfolio and any quick suggestion before GDC.

Thanks. tongue.gif

http://students.uat.edu/jefjonai/

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Why do you have a wireframe view, then just a lowered opacity wireframe view? I can't see your texture work on the model. If you insist on doing wireframe overlays, leave it on just the texture flat, and let us see the model with the texture on top unadulterated. No one is going to steal your textures.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Oh I need to mention that then don't I... smile.gif

My boss on the project for the game Wellspring wanted to see the triangles. So I made it part of the texture. And he also wanted it as low polygon count as possible and the smallest texture sizes possible.

I'm sorry. I thought I put it in the description fields but I must have forgotten. Thanks Poop. I'll add that in for others reading.

Edit: for better english: Hour 23 of no sleep.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    I'm sorry it seems that everyone is to busy. But I would appreciate any further critiques.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    The interface is nice and clean, although I would like to see the iframe have more height for those of us running more than 800x600.

Don't really need to know the max file sizes wink.gif

I would lose the Gillian and Hetfield studies. Placeholders need to be more subtle (and not linked)
  • HotHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HotHead polycounter lvl 18
    Hey its a fellow UAT alumni. I myself graduated from UAT back in spring of '03. Good to see that some talent is coming out of that place. Anyway, as far as crits on the site, layout and navigation are exactly what they need to be for a portfolio site.

Your 3D work is good but I think you texturing work could use some improvement. It looks like you photo source a lot of your stuff, which is cool because I want to start utilizing that technique a little more myself, but they lack depth and look a little flat. Paint in some highlights and shadows to show form and shape. A good example would be your door. The model is good and so is the texture, but only as a diffuse color. Its to bright over all. My suggestion would be to darken it up a bit, add some contrast and paint in some shadows and highlights around where the wood meets the window frame and handle. If I were to right now look at the door strait on, it would appear that the wood and metal areas are flush. You see what I'm getting at? I don’t know, it could just be the renders.

Anyway, those are my crits. Keep it up and good luck at GDC....wish I was going this year. Last time I went (2003) I won a copy of Max5.1 with character studio.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    lots of toilets and sinks eh... nice.

no one cares about the logo, it'll just make you look stupid.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Thx all for the info. This helps me out big time. I moved stuff around in the 3d gallery and got rid of a few things.

JonMurphy: I know the file size on the Max files is pointless. But I added it to just show how much disk space it used up. But when I get back from GDC I’ll charge the file size to a listing of a date that I worked on it. But right now I want to get some sleep to catch my flight at 7am. The Gillian and James stuff I was using to show a series of sketches and characterizations. I sort of feel reluctant to remove them. If someone can second on getting rid of them by 6:00am then they’re gone. And I forgot to remove the placeholder icon. Thanks for reminding me to get rid of them.

HotHead: The sad thing is since teaching texturing is not important to the higher ups at UAT. Learning on your own seems to be the only route. And I didn't start until less than a year ago realizing that not only do you need to know how to model, but to texture and rig. And since I wasn't lucky to study behind Curtis Smith's back or any help from anyone else, I'm sort of left struggling along on my own. The sad thing is once a month after GDC the Asylum photosourced stuff and it other models (except for the Extinguisher and Colt 4.1) will be gone to be replaced with something more current. But that’s then and unfortunately not now. The bathroom textures represent what my skill is at now.

mr_Rockstar: I don't know you well enough to tell if your joking or not. I was told if you show your stuff to a artist they will remember faces and image better than just names. Especial at GDC when you’re meeting maybe 500+ in a day. A logo might be a little more rememberable.
  • HotHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HotHead polycounter lvl 18
    Lore...I know what your saying about the lack of teaching at UAT. I just dont think they know what needs to be taught as far as the gaming end. I was lucky enough to work on a project with Kurtis that my friends and I put together called Lost Shadows (not sure if that sounds familiar), and I learned alot from just watching him do his thing day after day. I'm the type of person who learns better from hands on and doing, rather than reading about and trying to apply what was said.

But as far as UAT, I realized from seeing many of the people who complained and dropped out, that you have to be an artist, and understand art if your going to progress at it. Art is only learned though doing, over and over and over again. The computer and programs that are used are meerly just a brush and canvas, nothing more. So the teachers there can only show you how to hold the brush and push it across the canvas, you have learn the art on your own.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Let's see here:
    1.I don't like your logo.
    2.I don't like your design.
    3.I don't like your "art"

Lets address these issues one by one, shall we?
    1. The logo is childish and unintresting. Does it say anything at all exept: "Hey look, a cartoony snake and a scorpion..."? Not really.
    2. Annoying logo switch each time your move your mouse-cursor over a button, weird tables everywhere that makes reading much more difficult instead of actually helping you read it and why do you insist on displaying all your work inside a infuriating scrolling window?
    3. Very basic models, confusing use of texturespace

The good things: You are showing improvment with your restroom models. The fire extinguisher has a nice texture.

The bad things: The rest. The Wellspring models take the price though...
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    HotHead: I know what you mean as the drop out reason. And I heard of Lost Shadows, to bad that it only got so far. Did you see the Operation Anubus stuff, I think you where still there when the showed their stuff at tech forum.

Cubik: I like your blunt candid. Its very refreshing. Right now I would like to address each of your issues with my work. But right now I just want to hit on the texturespace use in this last few minutes before my flight. Can you please point out what confuses you the most on the unwraps?
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Can't get on your page right now, but from what I remember there was quite a lot of dead space in most of your textures. For example, there is no need to texture all six sides of your wood-crate. Just do 2, will save space and your texture will be much sharper.

EDIT: Would just like to say that I really think it's a good sign when people can think over someones' critique without taking it personally. Keeping working on your stuff, as I said, you are showing progress.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    I would reccomend not showing this stuff as a portfolio. I'm sorry to be so harsh, but the quality of work represented in your portfolio is quite disturbing. If your a graduate from an art school (whatever UAT is), I would get your money back. All of the art iI see lacks even the most basic of any art school fundamental teachings. You even list that it took you 5 hours to complete that sink. That is about 4 hours more then industry time, you even used a photosourced texture.

My only reccomendations, are that if you still wish to persue this career, that you step away from what you are doing and start over. Whatever that school led you to belive was "multimedia" career quality, was wrong.

All I see on your web site (which is attrocious) are boxes, and primitives, nothing indicative of any modeling skills whatsoever. Most of what you have created, is surpased by any tutorial in any begginers 3d modeling text book you can buy off the book self. Do your self a favor and pick up a few.

Your traditional work is the most promising. Focus on learning form and shape through that first, since you are more familiar with it, then step over to 3d. I do see that your are very open to critiques, that is what is going to help you the most and drive your art to a level on par with career status individuals. Good luck, and seriously consider a refund from your school....seriously..
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    Curbik: Thanks. I'll keep trying at it. I'm no Michelangelo.

Downsizer: Getting my money back is legally impossible and they would just laugh hysterically at me, so I'm not going to be a fool. I have my own issues with UAT, and that’s my thing. If you think I photo-sourced then I guess I'm better than you think. As the only 'photosource' layers in it where selection layers. Where I deleted stuff away. Maybe the reason on why it takes so long is I count unwrapping as part of the process and I do to many subtle texture layers.

Thanks for your concern about my skills as an artist.