Home General Discussion

3d feature film analysis?

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
(apologies if this belongs in 2d/3d discussion, but everything in there seems techincal-related and this is more to do with film theory. I hope it fits better here?)

Hi, I'm continuing research on my dissertation topic of mise-en-scene in 3d animation, but I've run into some difficulty. I'm hoping maybe someone here might know something useful or be able to point me in the right direction (fingers crossed)

for those that don't know, mise-en-scene pretty much describes everything the director has control over in a film- such as camera angles, use of props, colour choices etc. my dissertation focuses on how these elements can be controlled to engage the viewer with narrative structure, and how the use of mise-en-scene varies from film to 3d animation.

my problem is that I can find plenty of information about mise-en-scene in film (particulary hitchcock) but very little about it relating to 3d feature films.
my question is:

Does anyone know any site, book or journal that discusses any 3d animated feature in more depth than a simple review?

all I seem to be able to find are short reviews, which themselves tend to be little more than a simple plot synopsis. Any input would be greatly appreciated on this one!

Replies

• FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not sure there's really a huge difference between live action film and 3D animation in terms of manipulating the space in a shot. Many of the concepts and theories of film making that arose during the early days of the moving picture are still used today in constructing a shot, whether it's for live action, 2d or 3d. What kind of information are you specifically looking for?

You might want to try contacting artists directly that work in 3D feature animation. If you're lucky, they might help you get in touch with a director or art director. Try to get an interview with someone in charge of shot construction, people love talking about their job, especially if it's a job they love.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the aim of the dissertation is to explore the differences, but its possible the conclusion will be there are none. before I come to that conclusion though I need all the reference material I can get my hands on smile.gif

I guess specifically I'm looking for how information on character emotions, plot points etc are communicated to the audience through camera angles, lighting, colour costume etc. I think that these points are generally more carefully considered in films than 3d animations (in relation to communicating meaning), and that these elements are used in 3d animation mainly to emulate the feel of film and give the impression that the action has really taken place

I will definately follow your advice on trying to contact 3d animation directors, cheers!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    You need to look at:

Cinematography: Chris Malkiewizc
    Painting With Light: Robert Alton
    The Five C's of Cinematography : (I forget)
    Digital Cinematography: (I forget)
    Digital Film Making: The Making of Kaze Ghost Warrior: Tim Albee.
    Dinosaur: (Basically a book about the making of Disney's fiol and all the pallette studies aand image manipulation they did for Backgrounds.)

Hope this helps

Scott

Scott
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I guess specifically I'm looking for how information on character emotions, plot points etc are communicated to the audience through camera angles, lighting, colour costume etc. I think that these points are generally more carefully considered in films than 3d animations (in relation to communicating meaning)

[/ QUOTE ]

I woulnd't think that at all. 1) because changing anything about a shot becomes increasingly more expensive as the shot progresses in terms of level of finish, and 2) overall, 3d feature films in america are meant to be viewed by a younger audience, and so everything about a shot is carefully considered for the clearness of the message, and to make sure nothing offensive accidentaly gets through.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I don't really mean to suggest that they aren't carefully considered full stop, what I'm trying to say is that I think that those elements have more potential for communicating meaning than they currently do in 3d animation.

This is my current view, but I am open to changing it- the problem is there seems to be very little literature discussing specific 3d animations beyond reviews.
    I will check out those books you mention Scott, cheers
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    I don't have any references to add, I just wanted to say good luck smile.gif My master's thesis was "Defining the Art of Interactive Real-Time 3D", basically discussing the aesthetics of low-poly design, and reference material was similarly scarce.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't forget all the "making of" books for Pixar movies, although I don't know how much they go into the actual movie making part of the process versus just a lot of pretty pictures.