Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character WIP - Adam

Currahee
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Currahee polycounter lvl 18
Well this is my first chrachter wip post here so be gentle. C&C are welcomed. adam.jpg

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    That doesn't look like me at all! Redo it, only better!!

You've got some issues with polyflow. The legs need as much attention as the rest of the model. The overall shape is nice - and the stance it really good too - perhaps he could lean back a little more.
  • Currahee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdamBrome Yeah i know that the mesh flow is abit messy, but i'll take care of that as soon as i finish modeling.

Here are som updates, did some work on the abs and wings in the back. Also added kneecaps for better deformation.

adam2.jpg
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    careful not to fall into the trap of creating what your brain thinks is correct. you've got some forms in here that are a little strange and it looks like you might not be using reference, or you're probalby going from a propotion sheet with little detial. i know it's tempting to think that the knee, for example, just comes out with a bump, but untill you acctualy get refference of a whole shit load of knees from every angle and figgure out how you're going to build one, then it won't look correct. there's a few parts of this model that speek to me that that's what you're doing. the whole knee area is thin, and he's got sausage legs. the knee section doesn't have that profile, nor that internal detial. here's a quick ref for the knee:

http://www.vfs.com/~3d45john/035.jpg

i'd suggest for every single area of the model (ribs, abs, knees, thighs, etc etc) you go out and get reference, and figgure out how you can model the area with a nice, clean mesh. i'd suggest modeling in quads, too, but since you're doing low poly.. what ever.

i know this sounds tedious man, but when i acctualy sat down and did this i got over my modeling platau. you'll find that if you sit down and really force yourself to understand human form and draw out lineflow over your reference, at a meticulating pace, then the next time you do it, you can whip it out a billion times faster. you'll also have a better sense for mass and proportion once you start matching reference. suffer once, then live in.. bliss, really. happy, loving.. wonderful.. bliss.

anyway, that's just my 2 cents. everyone learns differently, and this step might be later on down the learning process or not on it at all smile.gif take it or leave it bro wink.gif
  • Currahee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John_Warner Thanks for taking the time, i aprciate it, and thanks for the reference.
    adam3.jpg

I realise that i have taken certain artistic freedoms in so areas, but that you were correct it is largly due to not having apropriate referece. I don't have a reference for the back. So i used other models as reference. I know thats not a good idea but it seamed like the only option after failing to get any good images from google. However, the knees as you pointed out, i did have reference for (see above image). I didn't really make much effort. So now i have tried to make some changes inline with your suggestions. I'm not to sure about the outcome. I'd apreciate your response to this.
  • avalean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    avalean polycounter lvl 18
    I feel you are using to many polys trying to do the same job very few can.

I see the character as a medium poly version (not a very high one) and you can cut down in many places. Since its your 1st what you need to work on is the flow from one poly to the next.