Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Western Adventure - Cowboy

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Showster polycounter lvl 18
This semester I was able to choose a game development project so I am making all the art for a project be it restrained.

Anyhow heres a new model and texture ( the model is losely based of friends model but with quite alot of modifications).

The model weighs in at 1700 polies and 1 512 texture map no bump, normals or anything smilegif

anyhow heres the goods hope its atleast average hehe

please ignore the uvwmap it went through a big edit due to some dopey max work so its not efficent, thus the shoes looking like there from an 8 bit nes game upps

MainCharacterjpg

regards

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shoes look very out of place, they should be boots! or atleast have leather texture to them.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, this guy does not look like a cowboy. You've got some inaccuracies to deal with. They can all be forgiven since you're in the UK, but I'm a Texan, so listen up, kemosabe... wink.gif

I think I see conchos on those Levi's... those little metal buckle things along the leg seams? They only came on leather chaps that went over the trousers, and only if there was some Mexican influence in the guy's style. This dude looks like he's from Back East, originally.

What EQ says about the shoes is correct. Steel toe caps were unknown in the 1880s, AFAIK. Make them all-leather shoes, and he'll look okay. Laces should be brown also. Cowboy boots are not required, esp if the character is not a cowboy. He looks like a generic gun thug, so anything goes there.

Meanwhile, that is definitely a fedora hat he has on, not a Stetson. If this is intended to be a cowboy hat, check your reference. The brim needs to be much wider and the crown higher. Also, his holster is either stapled to his pants or hanging from nothing. Give the guy a belt!

Lastly, some spelling advice. Unless he's Scandanavian, his name would be "Joe", not "Jo". And "The New Planes" should be "The New Plains", since it seems to refer to the prairies and not two-dimensional surfaces.

All of this is not a slam on your modeling or texturing, which look like they're doing all right, at least for student work. Carry on!

/jzero