MAUL0r
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
Updated shots of my western level:

http://sacland.submatrix.org/crap/levelshots1.jpg
http://sacland.submatrix.org/crap/levelshots2.jpg

i just put links because the images are quite huge :P

I'm always open to C&C... it still has a ways to go tho.

Replies

• Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    I quite like the direction its going in, I'm making one in old quake 3 at the moment, smile.gif Are you planning on any lighting changes? church will be cool when its done smile.gif
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    Are you allowed to use bump/normalmapping? I think it would improve the ground and rocks a lot. I think the rest looks awesome, with a nice skybox and a bright sun lensflare the atmosphere will be lovely smile.gif classical western alike
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I like the cracked ground texture seen in the first shot, but it repeats quite badly. If it's possible, I'd consider using a layered texture for this, to increase the variety and make it look more natural.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I agree on the ground. It looks great, but the texture should be more random/larger. The church benches also look like couches to me.

This is a huge improvement though.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback guys smile.gif i agree about the ground... i will look into layering for more variety, that may do the trick! I might also just clean up some of the more noticable cracks so it looks less tiled.

any comments on the color pallet? I've desaturated alot of it because i wanted it to seem more "dry" but my teacher loves to rip into dull color pallets...
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I think palette is pretty spot on for the atmosphere of the level.

Nice improvements.
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the wood and brick textures. Is the church the only model that has an in door environment?

As for the Church benches they do look a lot like couches. I would raise the back and create a slope of the back feet/legs. Look up ‘pew’.

http://images.google.com/images?q=pew&am...n-US%3Aofficial

http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10...amp;btnG=Search
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Mountain texture and wagon look great.

First thing I noticed is the tiling of ground texture. Get on it photoshop with the healing brush.

Now to the design, a box, flat ground, some buildings dropped in, I think you could do a LOT better than this. Personally, the hardcore level designer inside of me wants to say "nice objects, now build a level with them," but I'll try to keep him at bay. wink.gif

Your teacher is right about the pallete, I think you can correct a lot of this with lighting.

Speaking of which, what are your plans with the lighting? It can totally make or break your level. One trick, that especially works good with organic area, is build and test your lighting without textures. The will make the bland, repetitive areas of lighting stick out. Slight color variations in lights that are supposed to be the same can add huge variation and a more natural appearance. And you're doing this in Unreal, it has POWERFUL lighting.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do have some big plans for lighting... wheather or not ill have time to implement it all is still a question... but before I release it publicly I will make sure I'm in love with the lighting.

I agree that it's a bit boxy with buildings just dropped in... if i were to make a second pass (IE: Start over) I would probably put some of the buildings on a different elevation or possibly... or put the entire thing on more of a slope so it feels like a real mountain pass town... for now though I'm limited on time to get the project itself finished... but fear not! I'm taking advanced level design next qtr and I'll have alot more freedom to do what I want...

till then, ill continue to take your critiques into account and try to make what I've got going now something worth playing.

Side note: some of the guys in my class are replacing the powerup models for UT with stuff like jack daniels bottles etc... If I can ill include that in the final version smile.gif