Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character:Jason c/c Welcome

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
Still some tweaking to do but mostly done.A few questions-
1.the sleeves and skirt,i have not modelled inside can i use a 2 sided map instead.The belt as faces back and front if i can getsomething like this then i can del some more faces
2.Can anyone give me links on vertex bake?(where you get layout with shades)
3.How do i get that shine on the metal(like the sheen the boxers have on fight night)
4.Bump mapping how do i get that look so that details not modelled appear on mesh when painteed in photoshop
5.Can someone please explain how specular would be implemented on model.
Please any links for the above warmly recieved.
I am quite good on texturing but really wanna put some work into it and use these techniques

j6zo.th.jpg

Replies

• King-Vitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
    2. BobotheSeal tutorial about vertex baking.
    http://www.bobotheseal.com/tuts_vertex_bake01.htm

4. If you want it bump mapped you would generally want to make a high-poly version of your model from which a bump map can be generated, as it would be very complicated to simply paint a bump map.

Everything else would deal with shaders, which are game dependant, and I'm no expert, what game do you plan it for?
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey mate

Nice model ya have there,is there any chance of a wireframe? as it would be easyier to crit.

I think alot of what you want with the specular(which I think the metal shine comes under also) would need to be added once you have made at least a basic texture.
    Which as vitamin said is game dependant.

using 2sided maps would definatintly work for the belts,though im not so sure wether its the best way to close off the sleeves.

Its a good start any how...

john
  • D63
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D63 polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one. I think maybe the hips are too wide at the moment, looks more like a female's figure.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey there, good looking model.

1. Yeah, most likely you will be able to use a 2-sided material, but as has been said, it depends on the game you want to put him in (most games seem to support 2-sided materials though).

2. What King-Vitamin said.

3&5. Since they're essentially the same question - again it depends on the game engine, but to do this in 3DS Max, you'd put a greyscale texture into the Specular Level slot of the material editor. In the greyscale texture, pure black would represent "no shine at all" and white would represent "really really damn shiny", with all the grey shades in between being varying degrees of shininess.

4. I disagree with King-Vitamin, it's a reasonable undertaking to paint a bump-map, again you'd use a greyscale version of the texture, where black = sunken, and white = raised. If you pick a basic grey to start off with, then any lighter areas you paint will appear slightly raised on the model, and any darker areas would appear sunken. Again, in 3DS Max, just put this greyscale texture in the Bump slot of the material.
    However, as King-Vitamin suggests, there is an alternate route, by which you'd make a high-detailed version of the model, and then use some software to render a "normalmap" or bump map to be used, which would make the low-poly mesh look like it contained the detail of the high-poly model.

A good painted specular map combined with a subtle bump map and well-painted diffuse (colour) texture can look really impressive all together.

Technical crits on the model: I think the eyes are a little too wide horizontally, unless you're going for a more cartoony look. If you were aiming for realism, take a look at some facial reference photos and try to tweak the size of the eye socket to make it smaller and more natural in shape.
    Also the mouth may be a little wide horizontally, too.
    The palm of the hand seems a little chubby to me, and the thighs look pretty massive, but apart from that it looks fine.
    Any chance we could see a wireframe image of this so we can critique the mesh construction? If you set the viewport to Facet+Highlight shading, turn on Show Edged Faces, then take some screenshots, that'd be cool.

I look forward to seeing this guy textured! Are you planning to put him in a game engine or is this just for practise?

MoP
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IMPORTANT:Character is 3480 Faces(the extra is for fleece and sword which i didnt include in render.
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your feedback guys-keep em coming.
    The character is supposed to be cartoony (think soul calibur).The mouth is a little bigger than norm as it was modelled open so that i could show the teeth and back of mouth.I do have a hi poly model of him that is not finished and was considering doing a normal map, but not really sure how.I agree the hands are a little plump(will tweak) the legs are larger than life but the look i wanted as said above is a cartoon look.The shoulder pads and skirt can be removed as i built details underneath(such as groin/buttocks and shoulders/collarbone)I built him for my portfolio as i am looking for a job in the games industry.
    will post wire renders later.
  • kunglao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is wire frame. final count is 3439 faces
    untitled17aa.th.jpg