Home Technical Talk

XSI mod tool .obj import

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
OK XSI users I'm trying to import an obj file. This one to be specific file (Right click and save target as. Otherwise it opens in Notepad.)
However when I import it nothing shows up. Does anyone out there have some advice for me? Hopefully I haven't missed something obvious.

Replies

• Squid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squid polycounter lvl 18
    Works here, i just unchecked 'user normal' and left the rest at their defaults.

smile.gif

/edit - my bad, i was using advanced. obj import has been disabled in the exp version. sorry about that
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Squid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squid polycounter lvl 18
    dotXSI import works fine though. is this a workflow thing or just the one mesh ?
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This will sound silly but I'm doing much of my modeling at work using Wings3d. I usually use Max to do my UV mapping and such at home. I'm now involved in a HL2 mod so I thought it was time to start use XSI to finish things. Unfotunately this won't fit my workflow with this limitation.

If I can get used to the interface I might shell out the dough for XSI Foundations. That would fix the problem with Import/Export.
  • Squid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squid polycounter lvl 18
    I'm a big fan of wings3d and use it daily smile.gif

You could always ask on the wings3d forums for a .xsi exporter.
    /begin famous last words
    as it's an ascci file format, i would think it would be a trivial matter for an erlang coder
    /end

good luck on the mod.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I once modeled and uvmapped in Wings3D. When i was using XSI/EXP, i had problems importing obj files from Wings3D. Actually, the mesh was fine, but the uvmapping was not imported. There is no fix for this so far. If you learn how to UVmap in XSI, you can work around the Mod Tool problem. UVmapping in XSI is one of it's easiest tools, once you know how to start. I can give you a quick explaination if you like.

I use Foundations now, and there is no problem transfering between Wings and XSI. But, if you're applying UVmapping with XSI, you MUST remember to Freeze after you're finished, then in the explorer, delete the cluster named User Normals before you export.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help grindy. How were you able to import obj files when it's diabled in Exp/mod tool versions? Me confused frown.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I was able to import only the mesh BEFORE it became the Mod Tool, back when it was just XSI|EXP for HL2. I assume with this release they've completely disabled it. That sucks.

This must be Softimage's way to influence users to atleast TRY their modeling tools, and not just as a HL2 exporter. Good marketing strategy.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All I can say is BLAH! I can see why they did it but it sure messes with my workflow. I'm not allowed to install the ModTool in the Support Center.