Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WWII Thompson Sub-Machinegun & BAR Assault Rifle

Currahee
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Currahee polycounter lvl 18
I'm doin a series of weapon models just for the practice. This is the first one. Please feel free to C&C.
thompson.jpg

This ia a BAR Assault Rifle i'm currently working on. I will be posting more shots as i progress.

BARpimp.jpg

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    lookin pretty good, you should try and get it texture tho.

you know that for each untextured weaponmodel made, god kills a kitten
  • Currahee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

ElysiumGX, thanks smile.gif

motives, he he, thanks, i am going to texture it, but i'ms till very new to character process and i'm not very good with UVs or texturing for that matter. I was hoping i could post my progress here and get some feedback on my UVs and what not.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Proportions and silhouettes look nice. Will advise as project proceeds.

Welcome aboard, Airborne!

Scott
  • Currahee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have added a ammo clip and finished the trigger area. More update soon. I will be posting the development og the UVS on the Thompson as well as the BAR progression.
    BARpimp2.jpg
  • Currahee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the Poly count with the clip on the BAR? Also could you also post Wireframes of the geometry as well. SO far looking good.

Scott
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I was gonna say, these GI renders aren't showing us much. We can pretty much see the silhouette of the gun and a couple of the details, but it's not giving any information on the level of detail, or the poly usage. Which is what we like to crit the most smile.gif

Sure the shape looks good, but is your meshwork as clean as it could be? We just don't know!
    Flatshaded and wireframe please... try just one directional spotlight rather than global illumination... easier to see form and shape that way.

They look good though. What's the polygon count?

MoP
  • Currahee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott, the polycount is at 688 with the ammoclip. Thats 84 more faces since i started the thread.

MoP, your making sense so here is a shot of the wire and the a render using a spot light as you suggested.

BARpimp3.jpg
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aside from the forward part of the triggerguard to the magazine release, that is some pretty clean geometry.

Scott
  • Currahee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Aside from the forward part of the triggerguard to the magazine release, that is some pretty clean geometry.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Scott, thanks Yeah i'm aware of that area by trigger guard, i'm still blocking out the parts, i'll get to the cleaning after i'm happy enough with the proportions to start attaching all the parts. I'm abit concerned about the iron sight. They are for som reason very complex on BARs. Still i'll give it a shot.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Iron Sight may push you over 1000, if it is supposed to "work" in the game (a.k.a a First PErson model for the hands) Otherwise you could get away with just a squared "U" channe; with a block in it, and let textures handle the smaller details , cuts, and chamfering.

Scott
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great, and motives is right god is gearing up to smite a few kittens, so you best hurry with the unwrapping =P

Scott hit the points I was going to bring up. Also remember that most weapon models will be viewed from "back and above" when in game. Sometimes accurately modeled barrles and far away parts get really tooth-pick like. When I do weapon models I put a camera locked about where the ingame first person view will be, and switch to it often to check. Often I end up making the barrels bigger the farther the details get away from the camrea. From the side the gun starts to look like a pilgrim gun but not that extreme. Also keep in mind that the camera in 3D apps might be different than the ingame camera. So if you can check your model ingame as you go, you should be in really good shape.

Long story short, remember to check how the gun will look ingame before you get to unwrappin' because everyone is going to see it from up and behind not the side. =)
  • Currahee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig, Thanks for all the advice i will keep it in mind.
  • Currahee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, well i have started the UVing of the Thompson model, and as i predicted it is PURE HELL, i have no clue what i'm doing so please feel free to help me out :P

thompsonuv.jpg