Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Theif girl

GoK
GoK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
GoK polycounter lvl 18
Hi chaps, this is a model iv been working on for a mod group. Its at about 2500 tris at the moment (with a limit of about 4000) it will be textured with one 1024 and one 512 maps. Its still pretty early yet just getting the proportions right. Crits welcome smile.gif

untitled19mm.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Her face and hair is looking good, and the body is starting to shape up nicely. Good stuff.
    Her legs look very thick (something i've noticed in a lot of your character models) ... try just selecting all the leg polys and applying a Push modifier, make the value a negative value and see if you think it improves it... I think it will - she's a thief, she should be light on her feet, at the moment she looks pretty heavy.
    The arms are pretty weird in silhouette, they don't look very natural - have a look at some anatomy reference and try and get the outline and shape of the arms more natural, they just look like cylinders expanded at the bicep and the forearm at the moment, which is not very natural.

More polys in the breasts!!! And make those boobies a little more obvious, her chest is looking very manly at the moment. This is also because she has very wide shoulders - try bringing the shoulders in a little.

I like the face as it stands now.
    Keep it up.

MoP
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks man, cheers for the advice ill certainly fix it up smile.gif im working to concept art at the moment and the boobs are very small so ill work on the shoulders and see if i can get it looking more femanine. I really need to work on the body loads im not happy with it. ill get more polys in thos breast wink.gif just a note ill put up the concept art but i havnt already cos its quite cartoony ( i didnt draw it) but i was asked to get a more "realistic" look to her so im quite far away from the consept.

Jody

PS i used to go to abertay wink.gif
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Fun course, eh? smile.gif
    Meh, it's a degree.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    What a cutey.
    Definitely like the style of clothing and hair that's being suggested by the existing polys. Cant wait to see her textured!
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    i really like the hair and the face

i think the legs are ok, but i think the whole upper body should be thinner, and close the gap between her legs a bit as well. i think that will make her look lighter on her feet as mop said.

whats with that cut on the back of her knee?
  • johnwoo
    Offline / Send Message
    johnwoo polycounter lvl 18
    Definitely looking really good. totally diggin the proportions and overall use of polygons, but just a side note...personally I would just scale down and decrease the width of her biceps in the front view and maybe the side view aswell, but just a bit....good stuff so far.... wink.gif
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    cheers guys! ill work on my proportions a bit more... what cut on the back of her knee?? MoP i smoked too much to ever actualy go to classes.

Jody
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    ok tried to work on the form a bit more....

untitled15ne.jpg
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i dig it, except for the hands. the proportions seems pretty good, it borders on manly though - kinda like the ambiguous Robin from early batman comics.

the biggest thing that bugs me about the hands would be the wrists, she seems to be completely missing them. The thickness of the forarm does not blend well into the hands, making it seem like she has a cripmed wrist or somethin.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    i hope iv addressed the issues brought up i all the great crits! i sorted the jawline as it was very masculine , the size of the chest and a few other tweaks here and thier... if anyone has anyother helpfull advice fire away wink.gif

Cheers
    Jody

untitled17aq.jpg
  • calbar
    Offline / Send Message
    calbar polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, looks cool so far - I like the look of the hair and face mask.

For the hands, I agreed with moose, but now they look like they lack thickness themselves compared to the wrists - like the fingers on her hand arent actually in the fingers of the glove (from the side). I also think she may still be a little thick in the mid section for a nimble thief.

For the boobs, they look like they are being pressed down to allow acrobatic movement, which could be a good thing - thats the impression they give me. Good work so far smile.gif.
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    if you look at the wireframe shots you posted, the cut is in between the row of vertices at the top of knee adn the verts making the middle of the knee. i cant see any reason for it to be there.

looking nice. shes quite a bit more feminine now

looking at her again i think her breasts shouldnt be so defined. theyre fine in the side view but i think that her shirt wouldnt fit to her body in between them. its kinda hard to explain but a liitle more like this:
    Juicy%20Couture%20White%20Polo.jpg

also her boots are reminding me of cowboy boots, not very stealthy. i think that can be changed by making them flat along along the top instead of slopiing forward

sorry for nit-picking but those things are bugging me a bit. anyways im looking forward to seeing this textured
  • Herr-Maestro
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    Usagi? In otherwords, you mean there should be some folding on the shirt top like how it folds under her ribcage, giving the breasts some more definition yet not? Am I right on this?
  • Asherr
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    a thief would have flat soled boots with little to no heel on them. also you should probably fix it so that her center of gravity is not so far forward. she's about to fall on her face.

herr-maestro: i think he means that the material should stretch across the breasts and not dip between them. a top view of the breasts would look like: (__) not (_/\_). a uni-breast if you will.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    cheers chaps, more good advice! Asherr about the heels... the conscept art im working from has boots, ill take to the guy who did the drawings see if he minds me changing it a little cos i agree about the sole being flat. anyway guys cheers.

Jody
  • Asthane
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    also her boots are reminding me of cowboy boots, not very stealthy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah, all videogame thieves wear heels, otherwise they wouldn't have to walk at a snail's pace wink.gif

(Yes, that goes for Garret and Solid Snake too! smile.gif)
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Damn looks tight !
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    asherrs got it, what he said.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Started on the texture tonight... only done the head buit thought id get some crits anyhow. my tablet broke (again, i really need a new one) so its all done with a mouse hence the lack of little details so far!

Jody

untitled21ky.jpg
  • D63
    Offline / Send Message
    D63 polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet man, I'm liking that texture so far. Maybe the cheeks are a bit too red at the moment though.
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    her eyes shouldnt be blue like that, unless its supposed to be cartoony i guess. either way it should still be toned down. the shading makes her face look like shes covered in soot or something, but im not sure if that intentional or not
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    cheers guys.. ill work on the eyes next!

ok tried to fix the cheeks up a bit....

Jody

untitled24tq.jpg
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Still plodding along, would love any crits about the texture as its not my strong point really!

Jody

untitled29pk.jpg
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    its looking good man

the highlights on the wrinkles on her clothes are too close too the shadows, making it look like there a crease and doesnt look very realistic.

her neck looks quite blue, it should be shaded with warm colours, not cool ones

keep going, the shoulder thing looks really good. i cant wait til the rest is that finished
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    cheers man, ill look at the folds some more tonight !

Jody
  • Silva_Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Silva_Spoon polycounter lvl 18
    Textures are coming along great man, how about adding some life to it with more color though. Not necessarily bright colors after all she is a thief wanting to stay incognito, however some complimenting colors would make it more interesting. I'll be keeping my eye on this one for sure. Keep it up dude!
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    thats exactly what im trying to work on just now... any ideas where or how i can get those colours into the texture?

cheers

Jody
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    This thread is getting kinda long! does it not split off into seperate pages?
    Yet another update

Jody

untitled22av.jpg
  • Cubik
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    I like it. If you want more help with the creases, just look up the tutorials on Qbranch:
    http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/qbranch/tutorials.shtml
    I really like the muted colour, but some more complimenting colours would be nice.
    Very solid groundwork, all it needs now is some dirt and tears. Not too much mind you, just a hint here and there.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers for the link man good stuff! ill work on roughing it up a bit too laugh.gif

Jody
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Ok taking a break from the texturing for a little bit, as this model is gonna be in a mod i thought id better check it would deform ok... never done it before so it was REALLY hard to figure out what the heck was going on for about 2 hours... im gonna re do the whole rig as this one doesnt have movable fingers and is a bit basic really... but thought id get it up and see if anyone had any pointers or advice about rigging. i wont be animating it personaly ( i hope ) so that isnt a problem just the rigging. any way fire away!

Jody

untitled2pose7ti.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    That's quite a chin...
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    its jimmy hills doughter!

Jody
  • peanut™