Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character: Warrior (High Poly)

Super
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Super polycounter lvl 18
Hey all, been doing this character for a while now but its starting to drag so I'm throwing it up here, hopefully for motivation. More or less based on one of the characters from Troy. Trying to push for demo reel quality here, so all crits welcome - however I'd really love some arm specific crits too. The forearm in particular is proving to be a real bitch, I've redone it like 5 or 6 times now and still can't nail it. Think I've established a life long hatred of them. smile.gif

war_1.jpg

If anyone has some nice topology of arms in their picture folders I'd love to see 'em. Cloth/Belt haven't had much time spent on yet, hence the roughness. Cheers.

Replies

• Jeff Gran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Gran polycounter lvl 18
    Nice model so far. It does recall the Troy costumes/characters in my mind.

It's always interesting to see how other people work...I find it odd that you did the feet before the legs... that would never occur to me. smile.gif

For the forearm, I don't have anything to show you but I would recommend going back to the source - which is of course your human anatomy book(s).
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good, reminds me of S-S's stuff. If I were you I would block out the other areas at least roughly for now, so that you have the entire mass to guide you as you make your decisions. Going the straight ahead mode is ok if you really know what you are doing, but I find most people come up with better results when they slowly refine.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    The boots are the weakest aspect of it right now, they lack that leather feel, and are strangely shaped. I would shorten them a bit, make them less flat, and move the 'flaps that are later connected by the strings' closer together. But to be honest, sandals or something like that would maybe fit better to the character.

Otherwise it is coming along nicely. Good upperbody topology.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool Super, this is looking good. I agree with JKMakowka about the boots. They feel a little flat in the profile shots. But design wise, are boots appropriate? Would they not be sandals of some kind? I thought the Greeks wore sandals with shin armour on top.

I fully agree with you about the forearm being incredibly hard to model. The twists of the muscle as they travel down the length of it are really tough to nail.
    I just grabbed turntable rotating frames of a muscular guy from 3d. sk, and compiled into an mov. I found that immensely helpful.