Home Technical Talk

Question: How to put head in water

Weiser_Cain
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
I was thinking of making a chatacter that has his helmet filled mostly with water or some such fluid. I wouldn't know how to do this in the first place but What I really want to know is how to make this work in a game engine. UT 2004 is the prefrence but if it's impossible I'll go with whatever game I can get it to work in.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's a cool idea. Makes me think of the pink stuff in The Abyss.

I don't know what shader support UT2004 has, but I would try to Multiply a 2nd fluid-like map on top of the existing color map, using some sort of combiner shader. The fluid map could be red with a white wavy border along the top (multiply colors by white and there's no change, so no fluid appears there).

I would try masking off the combination with a third combiner map, to get the fluid effect to only appear in the glass areas. If there's no mask avail. or it's too slow I would just assign the glass material to its own set of faces, using the triangle boundry as the mask. But then you get aliasing if AA isn't on.

To make the fluid slosh around I would animate the fluid map's UVs to be out of sync with the character's motions. Also some scrolling would be nice for waviness. It would be nice to wire it to world space or somesuch, not sure how much control you have.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    i did a character just like that not too long ago.

since you cant actually fill the bowl with "fake" liquid, or any geometrical mass of any kinda, the only option is to really just fake it.

my best approach would be sprites inside the bowl. i added bubbles and specs of whatever, and changed the opacity of the bowl material.

some sort of distortion effect would be awesome, but i dunno about stuff like that.