Home Technical Talk

Strip modeling?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
I can strip model in max by selecting an edge and pressing shift+transform to clone edge. What other apps support this kind of function I can't find it in wings3d. How about Maya, XSI,silo,..ect.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Maya has the Extrude Edge tool, that you could bind to a key... not as fast as Max's method though I think.
    I've never used XSI, or tried extruding edges in Silo. I'd imagine it would be possible though.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    xsi has the N tool. press n and click about to find out how to create faces. works pretty well..

you can also select an edge and press ctrl D for duplicate, which will bring out the edge, like extrusion.

you can also do that on a polygon, that's the extrude function in xsi, just selecting a poly and ctrl+D. works alot faster than a button, IMO.

what is this shift+transform in max? something i dont know about? tell me before i drool all over myself.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    John: Just select an open edge in an Editable Poly object (ie. an edge which isn't surrounded by polygon geometry on all sides), hold down Shift, then click and drag it with the Move tool. It just makes a new face, really useful tool. I don't know of any other apps which have a method this efficient, it always seems be a combination of more clicks or key combos.
  • TechSmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TechSmith polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys, I'l fire up my learner editions of those and give it a shot. I've been doing a bit more of this type of modeling style and it's kind of fun and fast.