Home Technical Talk

make stuff stick to stuff

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
Now I must sound like a total n00b but how do you geniuses get stuff to stick so well together when you model it? I mean it can't all be skill wink.gif In the image below (by earthquake) he's modelled the gun holsters flush with the legs / trousers, and then went on to model a freaking jacket with perfect alignment to the body model. I must be missing something here, whats the secret?

millarender01.jpg

(btw I like the fact that this 2d and 3d discussion area is in much more use than before, it warms my cockles guvnor!)

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well I usually just do it by eye.
    You could do stuff like the leg holsters by modelling an extra row of faces around where you want the holsters to be, then duplicating those faces to a new object and extruding them out from there, so they'd be an entity in their own right, but perfectly flush with the existing geometry.
    I think Daz has mentioned before he sometimes models stuff separate from the character (like bags or belts) then uses deformers to match them to the character's surface, approximately. That way would also make it easier to uvw-map and alter an object's geometry, especially if it's an instanced object that you're using with deformers applied.

Apart from that, I guess it's all down to moving polys and verts around so that it looks about right smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah by eye is a good start. But to further proliferate on what Paul has said, take the example of a watch and its strap around a hand.
    Model the watch as is, but then of course you don't really know exactly how the strap should go. So make an instanced copy, and rotate that version into place. You can then work on a combination of the original without transforms or its copy ( either has its advantages ) to make the strap fit snugly.

watch.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Wise advice. I should do that more, it makes a lot of sense.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Oh and like you said, deformers rock. I use a lot of different stuff in Maya like wire and lattice deformers for straps n' stuff.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I do a lot of that too, working with instances, and deformers.

Splines and surfaces also work great for fitting things to each other, not sure what the equivalent in max would be.

But it always comes to down to tweaking in the end. These are just tricks to get you there faster.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Another obvious technique, is to make sure that extras have a related topology to the character. A belt for example, should have the same number of edge rows around it as the characters torso. Snap the verts of the inside of the belt to the equivalent verts of the torso, and hey presto, when the model is subdivided it all smooths in the same way and fits together snugly.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    In max you can create a helper called a grid.
    Then you can use the place highlight mode (its in the align drop down)to place the grid parallel with the surface. Then you can activate the grid, and you can change the view to grid, or any view relative to the grid. You can also set coordinate systems to grid and more. Plus, anything you make occurs on the grid too. you can have several grids in action and voila. Im sure maya has something similar, right guys?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Im sure maya has something similar, right guys?

[/ QUOTE ]

Was that meant to be cheek?! It would have been better If this thread didn't get too software specific. That sounds like a neat gimmick, but I don't find that I'm held back by Maya when modeling.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Damn Dave, I didn't know you could do that. Sounds pretty handy. I'll have to try it out sometime!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    cheers for the advice guys! I'm off to attach myself to a wall...
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    daves comment didnt seem cheek, seemed like helpfull advice, that maya may have something like that,

I had no idea about he heler grids, tho sometimes if i am working at an odd angle i will make a dummy object and rotate it in the posistion and then use the "pick" coordinate system and select the dummy as my coordinate ref so i can move things along its local axis.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I took it as a 'Maya is a bit shit' comment. Of course, we all know Maya has nothing like that. Apologies If it was misconstrued. I can't stand the 'my software is better than yours' attitude. I'm sure it's a useful tool.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Max must suck, I can't make my models look as good as Daz's smile.gif