Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

another...WW2 model

Jonathan Nascone
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan Nascone polycounter lvl 18
This was done for the Stainless Steel Art test. 550-600 tri(mine just hit 600) model for a RTS, with a 512 texture map. Heres what i turned in. Kinda late for C&C, but thought i would share since this is just my 2nd post here.
final%20render3.jpg
stainlesssteelwire.jpg
stainlesssteel.jpg

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice man. The model has a good dynamic too him, especially from the side. I think the biggest crit I have is in the texture. It doesn't look like you kept the game view in mind when making it. It reads pretty well in the shots you gave us, but from a couple thousand feet up, with this guy as a small unit, it would probably read as a bit muddy.
    When texturing for a game with a differnt camera angle than most, set up a viewport with the view about camera distance and from the angle it will most times be. That will help you as you texture to make it read well from that view.

Looking sweet!
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    you have some nice details going on, but the folds in the cloth look smudged and low res.

Also you photosourced the helm and gun but painted everything else, which kind of lacks a cohesivness to the overall feel.

But like ben said, it's all about what the model looks like from an RTS view.

Good luck with the outcome of the test smile.gif
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
  • Jonathan Nascone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i like both links, the last is most impressive!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool man. I feel cheeky critiquing this since I didn't quite have the same polygon restrictions as you smile.gif But anyway, If you want some input, you might want to knock back the contrast in the folds and unify them somewhat. From a distance the arms read as tonally lighter than the torso which looks strange. The belt is a little thick, and you could definitely use a drop shadow under the tunic on the tops of the legs, to fake geometry that you dont have. It's a good job though. Working with these limits isn't easy. I really like the face and the helmet.
  • Jonathan Nascone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DAZ! man o man i saw your WW2 model somewhere else before, but man your site ROCKS! I love your models, totally inspired me to make something jsut as good as your bond models. What is the poly count on thoes and texture map size please.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    hah thanks. It's a wip really. For the Bond stuff we usually have about 4k polys for a main character, with a x256 tga for head, another for body, and a couple of smaller maps as needed such as alpha eyelashes and hair, and a 64x64 eye targa.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    I probably would have defined the shadow under the coat a bit more, as it is now, I couldn't figure out why he had detatchable legs, and then I realized that's where his coat ended.
    Nice though.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    the knees might not deform so when hes rigged (I'd move that set of verts on his shin area up, it's an elbow in reverse remember, like you did for the elbow) but overall the poly dispersion is really well done and should stand up to most animations
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I second what hawken said, I don't get how he's going to deform at the legs when the loops are like that. It looks like the hips have five sided polygons as well?