Home Technical Talk

Sharpening viewport images...

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys
pretty elementary thing...whats the best way of sharpening the actural viewport(template/blueprint images)..

I have made my refs big (2500x3500),sharpened them up...changed my driver settings in max to what drivers are required but its made no diffrence..the viewport images look just like big pixels taht look more like a dot-to-dot game. They look fine when rendered.

What else can i do?

Thanks

John

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I dont use Max these days, but surely there are some settings somewhere to up the hardware texture resolution being displayed? Sounds like you have them set low.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Customize>Preferences>Viewports> Configure your driver for either OGL or D3d. Under Appearance preferences, click the largest texture size for both, and check Match Bitmap Size as Closely as Possible.

That should do it.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the help guys..someone told me it was proberly soemthing todo with the driver options just I have no idea what to chnage and what to leave...:(

anyway unfortunatily that hasn't made much difference,improved it abit though,see below:-

buggar.jpg

Thanks for the help.

john
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    These are my max settings. I'm pretty sure the image has to be square so it can load it into texture memory correctly. EX: 128^2, 256^2, 512^2, 1024^2. Load your images into photoshop and first change "canvas size" to be equal to the width/height. Then scale the image to 512 or 1024. I always round up because there is no need to cut down your reference size. smile.gif

maxsettings.jpg
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,its working,i see lines..not big blobs...i see the plane I can now model,instead of being a lazy arse trying to conquer europe on Rome:TW....

Thanks alot guys...still unsure why it didn't work,but I went away did other things for awhile came back tried max again for like the 4th time and it just worked.

Anyway,must model hurricain for my dad.

Cheers

john
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    If you made the changes to the viewport settings, it won't automatically update the textures until the scene gets reloaded, reload your textures or restart max.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Another tip... make sure your image is a power of 2 (1024x1024 is usually good). The video card eats this for breakfast, so you get faster frame rates whilst working than if you did 1024x1010, for example.
    I also suggest darkening your guide image to mid grey and dropping the contrast a little... it will help your eyes whilst your modelling. smile.gif