Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another anime pimp

Enix
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Enix polycounter lvl 18
Pimpin another anime model :P. Its at around 850 polys, my budget is 1800. Credits to Davidskiwan for the refs. His name is Conan Edugawa, hes from the anime known as "Case Closed" in america, and "Detective Conan" in japan. Check it out:

conanrender16ty.jpg

C&C welcome, if i get any :S. I know anime models aren't exactley popular here tongue.gif.

Replies

• Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    Enix, nice work on the form out for the body. looks like you took your time to get the form correct. It kinda reminds me of a Detective Conan Viynl Kit. Can't wait to see how the head and arms turn out.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good. I immediately recognized who it was.

Try rotating the feet out slightly some more... to make his pose more solid. The feet feel too straight at the moment, though, it could be the angle.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Is one is rigging for Maya, you have to keep the feeet parallel, and the ankles, knees and hips on a veriacl line on the "Z" axis.

otherwise that is very very good form, expecially for the current polycount.

Scott
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys ^_^, heres a small update:

conanrender29cf.jpg
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin cool. As SouL said, just angle the feet outwards, having them parallel makes them look rather stiff.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    mkay ^_^, havn't done that yet tongue.gif, but i will smile.gif. Here are some wires:

conanwires6hl.jpg

Just adding more in my spare time :P. Polycount atm is 1100, the head shouldn't be more then 400, so i just might be under my bundget. And there are still plenty of polys i can cut. Its gettin there tongue.gif.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Little update:
    conanrender32ul.jpg

Hands need some editing, the polycount is now 1450.
  • stingray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stingray polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hands need some editing, the polycount is now 1450.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that this will leave you only 350 polys for the head if you want to stick with the 1800 limit. Great job on the model though, looks really nice. smile.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Actually it's Conan Edogawa. Well I really like the lighting of this(I know that isn't what this is suppose to be about) what's the setup?
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    I used brazil for that, i dunno why i use it tongue.gif.

Uber small update:

conanrender42rp.jpg

Used default scanline renderer on that one. Im gonna start the head soon. I might just redo the freaking hands if i have to :\.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    I like default scanline, means you have nothing to hide. Don't get my wrong, brazil is great for full production renders but when your showing off a peice of game art i think it should be 100% self illum and texture or a wireframe/faceted view. Its looking great man. Could you post a reference pic? I'm not a huge fan of anime so i don't know the character. wink.gif
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Sure ^_^. This is the ref my friend david drew up for me:

http://img203.exs.cx/img203/3779/conanref3on.jpg

That dude is always helpin me out smile.gif.
  • Berserker_4d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Berserker_4d polycounter lvl 18
    i doubt you know who this but oh wells, he probly knows though, i can remember at least 2 times your bud david promised to hook me up as well and didnt follow through >_>,
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    You know I had to look at the updates 2 or 3x to see what it was that was changed. Maybe wait for more substantial changes before posting a new image?

The model looks pretty cool as a static mesh, but from an animation standpoint it looks kind of weak. At joints, you need at least two loops that go all the way around. By ending them at the halfway mark, and only having one edge at the front (elbows, waist, etc) those areas are going to collpse when you bend them. You need one loop to keep the volume of the first chunk, and one loop to keep the volume of the second chunk. Also the front flaps of the jacket look like they will have clipping problems. You might want to give another edge to them about midway point.

Keep it up and let's see a head.
  • thinsoldier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinsoldier polycounter lvl 18
    ok, now, this might be an odd request but,
    I've been trying to work from the ref you posted and I"m getting NOWHERE very SLOWLY. Would you consider posting a top/front/side in the wire/shaded style of your 3rd pic so I could have a better idea of why mine totally sucks? please?
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Sure, no prob smile.gif.

http://img207.exs.cx/img207/4007/conanviewport7si.jpg

I didn't find it very hard to work with, but im not going to
    model the head on directly from that ref, i have some anime
    screens im gonna work with aswell.

Poop:

The main change in that pic was the hands, I have a habit of
    posting every freaking change i make tongue.gif, i denno why. I see
    what you mean about the joints, i'm just used to doing my low-
    poly models joints that way. And there is a little clipping
    on the jacket, but it is connected, its not overlaping it, i'm
    trying not to half ass this model, and i think its goin on :\.
    I will get started on the head soon, lots of commotion around
    here, we where supposed to move but plans have changed and we
    are trying to unpack everything. So i have little time to work
    on him. But it will get done eventually tongue.gif.
  • thinsoldier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinsoldier polycounter lvl 18
    I find it hard because I suck probably. I can't seem to model without reference (straight out my head) but when I try to use reverences in program as image planes...i dunno, i get confused.
  • hezz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hezz polycounter lvl 18
    I would turn the the feet abit more outwards. That abit more natural. Im a noob at 3D so I really give any more comment than that :]
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    hezz: You're right, but as Scott already pointed out to SouL, leaving them like that makes rigging a whole lot less troublesome.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Started the head:

conanrender50it.jpg

goin real slow, just did that today though. We just finished unpacking and stuff so i can finally get back to work laugh.gif.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty much done with the basics, time for editing smile.gif

conannew40ab.jpg
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18