Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RO vehicle goodness!

ShadowM8
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ShadowM8 polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys. This is a vehicle that me and gemini did for the upcoming version of Red Orchestra. I did the model and mesh and gemini did the beautiful textures. C&C are welcomed and appreciated. Gemini will surely check this thread as well so if you want to compliment his textures please do so smile.gif
mfiieniuye.jpg
P.S. tracks are not textured....

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice tank! Although whassup up with the tracks?
  • ShadowM8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!
    Tracks are textured by a different artist, so unfortunately they aren't completed in this render!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Doh! I missed your p.s smile.gif

It's really nicely done. How much of that lighting is baked into the texture? How about some wires? smile.gif
  • ShadowM8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as I know gemini paints all his lighting into the texture. Here's a 100% self-illuminated render. http://www3.telus.net/hc_art/wiptest3illum.jpg
    And here are some wires:
    is2wire.jpgis2wire1.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, both of you. How many polys is the tank? Modelling all those struts in those grilles on the back seems a bit pointless... you could have achieved a depth effect with a 1-bit alpha map on a flat plane instead of all those bars. Especially since it doesn't seem to be an area people will really stare at in the game?
    Ahh well, regardless of that, nice work all round, the end result is impressive.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Its looking really good, the only thing that i dont like is the cylinders on the sides ... somthing about them make it look more like a model kit .... In general the texture looks good, but i feel it looks like a model kit again in areas.
    Im probly being abit harsh
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good, maybe add some dirt to it? And the red star could be a bit more red?

Oh and a backside and turret mounted machinegun? That will be very annoing for the guy using it if the other person controls the turret, right?

AND I have to add (as a RO fanboy) thanks for this great mod wink.gif
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    awesome textures smile.gif
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    yes incredibly awesome textures. you modeled a lot of awesome stuff on the tank, so besides the tread, perhaps some contrasting dirt of mud on the the body. or maybe a thic black smoke spot.

looks VERY good though. gj to both of you.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Beautiful IS-2, No complaints, no crits here, other than can you make a 2nd Guards Armour skin?

Scott
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    model and texture looks good but i think the texture has have too much noise.
  • Painreliever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Painreliever polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Earthquake on that one. It does look like there is a bit too much going on in the metal areas. I think dirt and scratches make things look more realistic, but at a certain point they start to detract from the model and draw attention to themselves. Some of the "noise" throughout the texture just seems to jump out a bit more than it should for a painted piece of metal. The texture that came to mind is the underside of a lawnmower that has all the grass tidbits stuck to it after lots of mowing. In my opinion I think most of the metal areas should appear a bit smoother and by reducing the contrast on some of the wheel well specularity you'll have a model that looks a tad less pixelated and rough. It's still a great model and excellent texuring in my opinion, it just seems its gone past realistic a tad. Hope that makes sense... smile.gif Great work!

Edit: Also it seems to me that in the muzzle area the polys facing up on the inside of the holes are missing the spec highlight, or at least the contrast between those edges and the bottom round area of the muzzle should be more drastic. The inside of the muzzle could probably get lighter with the holes letting light in. Neither is a big deal but they seemed a little off.
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty sweet indeed, but I'd agree with pain and earthquake that it's a bit noisy.

It also almost seems that the paint has a bit too much of a spec to it, these tanks are completely matte flat. Shine just attracts the enemy. To me it almost feels a bit more like a battered and worn screw head, or something else metal thats seen a bit of wear to give it some shinyness.

Nice though.
  • Jonathan Nascone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan Nascone polycounter lvl 18
    I always wanted to know, how do u get a wire render like that?
  • sniper 1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sniper 1 polycounter lvl 18
    Jonathan: clone your model then add a slight push modifier to the clone and give it a wireframe material.

Shadow: nice tank - I agree with EQ, I think the noise is a bit too uniform over the entire tank. Still looks very nice though.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    not very fond of the roadwheels at all.
    the edges are not exactly circular..
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Polygon limits. Deja. As to the nopice isue, part of it is you have to think at the distances this will be seen, as well as the fact that in most cases, these were homogeneous, rough castings with two coats of paint. The Soviets were never known for their level of commercial polish. Maybe the paint should be pushed more towards the Pullman Green with the fat white stripe tactical markings?

Scott
  • ShadowM8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments and crits everyone, much appreciated.
    [ QUOTE ]
    How many polys is the tank? Modeling all those struts in those grilles on the back seems a bit pointless...

[/ QUOTE ]
    The polycount is 5500. I totally agree with you about the struts, but I'm a poly whore smile.gif I like to model in details rather than rely on textures, therefore my game models get carried away and over the limit rather fast. I usually would model a 10k model and then just optimize to the limit set by the director. And my guess is that he just missed those struts and I’m more than happy to get away with that smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    model and texture looks good but I think the texture has have too much noise.

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks. The noise is part of gemini's style, he puts noise on everything smile.gif Granted sometimes it maybe too much, but as is usually the case inside the game engine that noise becomes less noticeable and gives a nice sharp feeling to the texture overall.

We've done some tweaks to the texture, as soon as I can get some in game screens of this baby I'll post them.
    Cheers guys.