Home General Discussion

just a small thing ...

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
danr interpolator
... but i'd like to say how pleased i am they now sell PC games in snappy little DVD cases.

Way back when i was buying PC games before, i'd have a pile of loose CDs on the desk or shelf somewhere, and cupboards full of huge cardboard game boxes, and another plastic bag full of loose manuals. Most, if not all, got lost or throqwn away or trampled, and i've have nothing to show for my collection but a stack of scratched discs.

but now, a revolution : i've bought about 4 new games in the past week or so, storing them in a neat line, and i'm even putting them back in the boxes - with the manual and everything!

by the way, does anyone remember when full-price 8-bit games (Spectrum, C64 etc) started to come in small, thick cardboard boxes, just big enough for the tape and a manual? That was an equally good move, easy to store and manage, and looked really good when you stacked them together. Shame the 8-bit market died soon after

Replies

• Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I noticed that when I was back in the UK in Jan. Cool. This side of the pond they still package 'em in those ridiculous oversized cardboard boxes. They need to get with the program.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    that sucks, i had no idea ...
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I live in the UK, and like the US boxes - just call me a freak.

I also design a lot of DVD box art, which is soooo easy nowadaye when you only need the one guide template for any DVD title, compared to countless card box net designs - with gate fold sections, folding tabs and whatnot.

I still like boxes. I think it's a childhood thing, 'cos it certainly defies logic.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    its somthing to do with size related value , some people feel they are getting more for there money when they get a bigger box ... it subliminal i think ...
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    What I hate is how some publishers abuse the DVD cases. The CD stacks in some of these (e.g. UT2003, Beyond Good & Evil) are really annoying, with jewel cases they'd more likely give you a case where you can access all the disks individually. Nothing beats the idiocy exposed in the Anachronox budget box, though: One CD is in the normal holder, the other is in a fucking paper sleeve that's tucked under the manual holders!
    A huge advantage of DVD boxes are the more durable center thingies. And often they're easier to get CDs out of, except for those cases where the publisher went with a rigid solution that forces you to pry the CD out. Fortunately, the more widespread acceptance of DVDs as the storage medium for PC games makes most games fit on one disk and makes more games use the standard DVD boxes with their easy releases.

While were on that topic, why are there still games being released on multiple CDs at all? Why do I have to juggle three CDs when installing Doom 3 as opposed to one DVD with HL2?
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    KDR, they did that with both NFSU and FIFA 2005, the first disc is on the peg thing, but disc two is in a card sleeve under the manual...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I for one enjoy the DVD case phenomenon. Aside from the minor annoyance of some games putting the extra CDs in paper cases under the manual, it's mostly worked out well.
    It used to annoy the hell out of me to get a foot-high, 2-inch thick cardboard box which was 90% empty space, so stuff just rattled around a lot if you shook the box. I can now fit 3 games in the space of 1 old one on my shelf.
    Also games like Black & White did a pretty cool thing with the reversible cover inlay, so you could choose whether your box art was black or white... more companies should do that, like have alternative box art on the back of the inlay. Would be cool!

MoP
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Uhm, here in Canada they're in tinier cardboard boxes.. not CD cases. And they come in jewel cases. The boxes stand the same height as a DVD case, only thicker.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    they still put discs in paper packets? wow and sims2 had 2 discs on each side of the case with the manual sandwiched between them, of course, they're a bit thicker than the standard dvd box
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    well out of my recent multi-disc purchases, CoD and CoD:UO had the discs on a single thick post, as did JK:JA whilst NFSU had one on a post and one in an envelope. likewise my dad's FIFA 2005...so it looks like that's an EA thing to me...
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    DVD's cases here which is a lot better than the big cardboard boxes they used to have. Anyways, I put the discs in a CD binder anyways so the package doesn't matter much smile.gif
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    i bough a huge cd wallet/book thingie.

I havent kept a dvd box in years.

I think it's a horrible waste of space.

Besides...I can move everything i have from home to work in one hand.

-R