Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Average dude

Jeff Gran
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jeff Gran polycounter lvl 18
I'm creating a 'content pack' for the Torque engine over at GarageGames. This is the first of two characters I will be doing (one male, one female).

roughly 2400 polys.

While painting this texture, I felt like "I know what I'm doing" more than I have in the past, and I'm happy with the result. Of course, I still feel the need to improve, but I can't see the faults.

So... Please crit the texture! What would make it more realistic?

(Thanks to Poopinmymouth for the awesome hair tutorial, it helped me immensely on this).

GGmale01.jpg

GGmale02.jpg

GGmale03.jpg

GGmaletex_512.jpg

BTW the texture was painted and is shown on the model at 1024, just shrunk it to 512 for easier viewing.

Jeff

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Hey there, glad to see you posting work, and I am glad that my tutorial helped you.

The overall look is very nice and clean. He has a good dynamic despite being so plain. I think his face is looking really nice, but his clothes are looking very monochromatic. Were they painted in true color? It doesn't quite look like they are greyscale, but it looks like they have undergone a buttload of hue shift, levels, and other filters. It has those tell tail artifacts, especially in the pants.

Also I think 1024 is overkill for this type of character. Try keeping it at 512 and just sharpening some parts up.

Great job and give him eyes and a pose!

Edit: I think I know what it is. You did a light bake for him and overlayed that, then had to play with your painting a bit to get it to look right with the overlay. See if you can collapse the light bake in, then go and do some more painting on top to elliminate those artifacts.
  • Jeff Gran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Gran polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the crit. Nope, didn't use any light-baking.

My method was: all painted in final color. I used a 1 pixel brush almost exclusively, and crosshatched the light and dark shapes in. Most of this was done directly on to a single layer. Much revising was done to get the shapes to line up correctly and to look like they were supposed to. After it all looked how I wanted, I went back over with a small smudge brush and smeared out all the hatching marks. Then just fine noodling over top. Finally I used a low opacity hue shift to get some more variation.

I'm not sure I see the same "artifacts" you do. Is it just that it's not quite all smoothed? Or is it that weird noisiness associated with all the smudging?
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    I'm no expert, but the shirt is better right now then the pants. It would seem that your shadow levels don't seem to match. on the shirt, it dissapears into blackness in the shadows, whereas on the pants, it's much lighter in the shadows. the highlights on the pants look a bit flat as well, especially on the very bottom.

There doesn't seem to be much color shift either. You probably know this all ready, but in real life, the color and saturation of an object are affected by light and shadow.

This just makes me realize that I need to do more study on the subject, because I can't explain it like I should!

Another thought: You may want to try for another color for the slacks, because right now there's not really much variation in color. It might make him 'pop' a little more if he had black, or say tan slacks on. Just a thought.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    i sorta see what psuedo is saying, but IMO the cloth looks absolutely great. for a texture its really getting the job done.

im not feeling the head too much though. i cant quite put my finger on it , perhaps its just too symmetrical. the hair could use a more crisp stroke to the strands and seam.

looks very good though.