Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

FPS game character (WiP)

Badge
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Badge polycounter lvl 18
i started this guy with a generic male model, just to get some practice. then i wanteda lot of cool tattoos on him. then my friend said he wanted to use him for a FPS ( with his pre-pro influences added).

i geuss ANY criticism would be nice. id like to know what to focus on most. i can get some dif angles if anyone would like.

ps. ive pre-rigged this guy and i got some really good deformations all around, and also completed 4 blend shapes for the face ( but lost em frown.gif ) [image]http://deb29qs.jpg[/image]

Replies

• DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    all i have to say is, wow

very nice stance, proportions, and figure. He is looking great
  • Jeff Gran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Gran polycounter lvl 18
    I agree. The model looks very nice. The posture and proportions give him a good sense of character. The texture looks WIP... I would concentrate on that. Put some more contrast into the skirt, blend the skin texture some more, add some color variation.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    thank you both. honestly im glad to hear that kind of reaction, only because i didnt let any of my nonsense affect the product, im proud in some ways.

BUT, i do realize the texture needs work. i feel a discrepency in the cloth area, and i also wish the skin had more impact.

Im unsure whether i should have some geometry in the skirt affect the appearance, or have a dominance in the texture itself creating the illusion. any opinions?

also, i see this as being a more thick canvas type texture, based on the color alone, come to think of it, i may just redo the skirt entirely.

thx for the feedback.

ps. Tattoos: yes or no?
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    Reminds me of Arnold Vosloo who played The High Priest Imhotep in The Mummy. save for the eyes other than that looks very nice smooth work on the skin and tone. Is there a possible view from the back? His ears I'm not sure what to say can't see them close enough to tell but from the view the ears look a lil deformed.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff. Yeah i think you need to concentrate on the texture more than the model. The hi-lights on the pecs are in a strange place. It would make a little more sense If you pictured a subtle light source from in front and above. Right now the hi-light seems to be sort of at the sides of the pecs?
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    My friend mentioned the ears were very ghetto, but i thought it would suffice if i textured it right. theyre very simple and i admit i could tweak them a little better.

as i write this im in the middle or tweaking the shading, especially on the lips. i started with the pecs, and i dont usually texture like that so i tried to keep the whole thing in that style. but you made a good point about the negative highlight, thanks.

heres some more if you guys can spot anything else

appreciate it smile.gif [image]http://mojodeb34gu.jpg[/image]
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Badge,
    Overall body model looks good. Some of the face proportions seem a bit weird, kinda hard to tell what's going on there.

You starting the texture soon? j/k, but really, I can barely tell you've done anything to the texture. Research fps game textures, ie Q3A (not some friend's texture you found online, I mean real professional work).
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    he has a tanline on his boobies
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    i suppose i shouldn t have said it was for a game, yet. i made this purely for practice, then someone came to me asking if they could use it, provided i tweak it according to their design specs ( which i have yet to recieve.)

i geuss im just going for accuacy here, but seeing how it should be for a game, and hes half naked. what else could i do to improve you think?
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    change his necklace from being a perfect torus. unless its that way so it can be boned and animated?