Home General Discussion

Mediocre games, interviews, and lying.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
Sure, sure it's part of Hollywood culture. But do we also need to evolve the same way?

I constantly hear about how companies want people who like their games, who have this "stokeness", and even more people who say as much in interviews. The problem is, what if their games really aren't that good?

I mean especially for someone entry level, you take what you can get. But most of the games you do like are only from companies that hire vetrans, or no interns, or are located half-way around the world.

How could you be,I guess the idea is like a business version of "politically correct" to them, without lying through your teeth? Try to point out the stronger assests like the character texturing? Without mentioning how utterly slow and boring the game play itself is? What about children's games? Do you have to like them as well, or just show you respect what the developer is doing? I don't want to give any example as I know people here who work for one in particular.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18

A job interview is selling yourself to a company so they will pay for your services.
    Familiarizing yourself with that company's product is paramount. Showing enthusiasm for that product is part of what they want to hear. Good pay, benefits, royalties, etc is what you want to hear, and how the company sells itself to you. Only time will tell if you or your employer told the truth.

Personally, you shouldn't try to work where you don't want to work. Nevertheless, I understand we all gotta eat. At this point, give your ego a rest and be a true professional as best you can.

Another perspective to consider is, they are the ones making the games, they are the one paying the bills, maybe the games are actually good, and you're just being immature and negative.

On the other hand, try going in there, fully and confidently tell them how you really feel, and answer every question as honestly as possible. It would be entertaining for someone.

Welp, I'm done building this playground, ya'll have fun. :P
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So are you saying lying is the best bet? Your answer seemed rather inconclusive.

Or are you stating, just only allowing the few good "tidbits" shine in your conversation to them. Again as above in the original case situation.. making no mention of the game play. In short, not offering any of the "downers" of the game.

Maybe trying to skirt the issue and refocus them back on your portfolio like a good politician? ??
    ?

"Yes, I have played "X" game, and the character design was great. Speaking of character design, have you looked at mine?"

(Shoulda been a lawyer I tells ya!)

[ QUOTE ]
    Another perspective to consider is, they are the ones making the games, they are the one paying the bills, maybe the games are actually good, and you're just being immature and negative.

[/ QUOTE ]

AFAIK A perspective as the above has nothing to do with maturity or negativity. It more reflects the own thinkers short sightedness. It's the same as movie people getting mad at others for saying "X" movie sucks. Then responding that they weren't involved, as such they shouldnt be judging it. But it takes a more mature person to realize that everyone has an opinion. Especially so since the movie was made for the end user, not the movie makers themselves.

Its like "The History of the World Part 1" (love that movie). Where the caveman makes the first wall painting. The voice over goes "The first artist". Then the leader above looks at it a bit, and pisses on it with the voice over "the first critic". smile.gif

Does bring up an idea I have been thinking about. To me, all the best rockbands the members had differences. Police, Pink Floyd, Led Zepplin. It made the music more dynamic. It seems without that tension and differences all team creative endeavors have a tendency to deflate like a balloon. To become boring and static. At least without a strong central character. Modern Business practices seem to make the strong character dilluted in the layers of management. (This is an opinion, which like assholes....)

(Hey your talking to someone who totally believes in the Peter Principle, so granted my viewpoint is colored).
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    hawken: Yeah, I thought this was going to be about bought reviews in the gaming media as well.
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    when i applied here at mythic i have never ever played any games from them, not even DAoC. I told them this at the interview, and they did not care, they were hiring me because i was an artist and did decent enough work, they were not hiring me because i was a fanboy who needed a job
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I got hired onto MXO even though I told them I don't like MMO's at all smile.gif
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    AD:-"Look, just take this idea and make it renderable object for the game engine. What's all this talk of 'art' and 'integrity'."

"Oh and can you make that spaceship more ninja-ish? Thanks."
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    hawken: Yeah, I thought this was going to be about bought reviews in the gaming media as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel sorry for anyone who has that game on their CV
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ndcv.. what was funny was that everyone on that Conference (and even before this) said you really needed to have played and liked their games in order to fit. Including that Matrix lead from Monolith. Actually come to think about it, it was the Surreal person that pushed it alot. And knowing someone who worked there before and was fired because he was "negative" about the success of the title they were working on at the time (which did bomb).

So now Im totally confused. You guys didn't need to be the fan boy.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I've got a couple of shit games on my resume. Unfortunately it's beyond ones control. I don't think it matters though. Any potential employer should be looking at your work, and understand that you weren't responsible for the game being a turkey. I don't believe for a minute that the fact that I did some work on Goldeneye2 makes me less employable. I can laugh at it quite comfortably.

As for the subject at hand, I don't think you need to be a fanboy at all but I guess it depends where you work. Heck, where I work there are a ton of people from a film background who don't even *play* videogames. They managed to get employed no problem.
  • Brian Reynolds
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian Reynolds polycounter lvl 18
    In my experience it's less important that you be really into the specific games that you would be making at the company than it is that you demonstrate a real appreciation for how your work would fit into the games the company makes. If you get to the interview stage it's taken for granted that you're capable as an artist so the next step is to determine how well you'd work within the production environment and that means things like:

How fast do you work?

Can you learn quickly? Ie: How much training will you need to be brought up to speed?

Are you a good teamplayer?

Is your communication good?

Are you prepared for the level of effort that will be required of you to do the job?

The issues of whether you're a fan of the company's products or the genre they specialize in only becomes an issue if there are numerous other applicants to the position who are as good as you in terms of their abilities to do the job. Person A may be just as good as person B, but if one of them is already familiar with the work that went into the company's previous products then they'll have an edge since they will require less training to get them up to the required level of performance.

Bottom line is that most companies are looking for professionals who can fill their production needs with the least amount of extra work involved.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    To like some games you must be retarded and i doubt many companies want retards working for them.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you'd think that. But...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i doubt many companies want retards working for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

*giggle* I'll keep quiet. smirk.gif
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    I'm working as a level designer, so my job is gameplay, and I never played any of the games from the company before the interview. It wasn't until after I got the offer that I played one.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    to promote some sort of creative innovation within a game, or genre, you'd be wise to hire someone who HATES it

Interviewer: why do you feel our games suck so bad and how can you help?
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I can speak from experience on this one, as my first game gig was working on simulator games, which I generally don't care for. If I remember right, they did ask me if I had played Flight Simulator, and I answered honestly that I hadn't. They then asked me if I would be OK working on that type of game, to which I said "Yes."

So anyway, after working there for a few months, I begin to figure out that a large portion of the art team does not play the game/sim just for fun. I was a bit concerned about this, but nevertheless, the game did very well, and consistently got reviews in the mid 90s.

The reason for this is that you can make good art, and take pride in your work, even if you don't care for the game that you are working on. I actually had a good time making assets for the game, and looked forward to the challenges that the game presented.

Did I actually enjoy playing it? Nope. I couldn't understand why anyone would want to play it.

Did I enjoy working on it? Yes. Very much so.

Making games and playing games are two very different things. Just because you like playing games, does not mean you will enjoy making them. And just becuase you have a good time making them, does not mean that you will enjoy the style of gameplay.

Any smart company will hire the artist who will do the best job. This does not necessarily mean hiring some geek who just really likes playing the company's games. It means hiring the artist who will do the most high quality work.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I agree with Ryno, Ive only worked on one game, Junior Boardgames, and it was good fun to make it even though playing it sucked. We nicknamed one of the subgames "the 'press enter key' game!"
  • BIOS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BIOS polycounter lvl 18
    i think knowing when to pick your battles is very important. respecting and understanding different points of view, even if they seem fundamentally "wrong" to you, is quite important as well. personally i'd rather hire someone with the ability to gracefully bridge personality and opinion gaps rather than a know-it-all that, while maybe more qualified, will rock the boat instead of helping to paddle in the right direction.

also, there is a huge difference between a company that makes games that you don't like and a company that makes games that you don't play.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    i'm not going to give advice, because i'm just getting into the industry myself. logic would dictate however, that even if their games suck, then show interest in what they're TRYING to do hehe. if they make bad real time strategy games, tell them you like real time strategy games.
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah like Ryno said, I told them I'm not an MMO person. Then they asked if I would have a problem working on an MMO and I said hell no! And I really do enjoy it; I've never had a job making games before and it's a blast. I put a lot into it and I'm really proud of my contribution, even if it's a game I would never buy.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Everyone that I hire, I hire for artistic skills in certain areas.

My studios mode of operation is to put the responsibility of combining the conceptual artists ideas into the art directors hands, so that all 3d artists contribute to a similar artistic style.

So when I hire 3D artists, I would say that the major ability I look for is the ability to adapt your artwork to the in progress creations of the other artists, directed by the art director. And our art tests reflect that.

Passions for creating new worlds and new games are a must. I could care less if you've ever played a game before. It may help for ideas on gameplay and such, but its not really needed. If our games bomb, then I would expect a "lessoned learned attitude" from everyone, unless it puts us out of business completely, which is doubtfull.