Home General Discussion

“Sod off, Swampy”

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I hope Greenpeace now learned one thing, never attack a demon hideout without automatic weapons.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    That made me so happy. Petro Traders 1 Greenpeace 0. LOL!

Scott
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    What a bunch of thugs. Really they are the worse of the two. Greenpeace protestors protest. They dont physically fight you.

[ QUOTE ]
    But they were set upon by traders, most of whom were under the age of 25. “They were kicking and punching men and women indiscriminately,” a photographer said. “It was really ugly, but Greenpeace did not fight back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its rather disgusting that anyone roots for those traders. If you love that, then jump back to the early 20th century and join in a union busting organization. Or in the 60's with the white supremecy groups (and police) who beat down protestors.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    LOL
    They illegally entered a private building where nothing illegal was going on only to commit an illegal act and they are astonished they got their asses kicked for it.

YAY!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    You lot scare me. Greenpeace are trying to save the planet for fucks sake. They have always been peaceful in their protestation. When global warming finally melts all the polar ice caps, and turns the planet into hell on earth for your kids, I wonder If you'll still think this is funny.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mishra polycounter lvl 18
    if by peaceful in their presentatation you mean being annoying as fuck, damaging the hearing of everyone in the room and committing crime, then yes, they were being peaceful. they really should have gotten their asses kicked for being such douches. im all for saving the earth, but they should do so through other means. illegally entering a building, storming it and placing rape whistles on balloons is not going to help anything and will only serve in your being an annoying douche bag who needs to get stomped.
  • Dukester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dukester polycounter lvl 18
    The one guy saying the SWAT team were a bunch of angel compared to the traders.
    They were not protesting the SWAT teams means for making a living.
    You get in the way of a bunch of people trying to earn their living, cost them their days take, there is a good chance this will happen every time. You wanna protest against a corporation thats one thing, but they found out quickly that this was different.
    They had it coming.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    Swampy himself did a lot of damage: he should have kept himself clear of television/radio and simply remained something of an enigma ...

as it is, every jobsworth bullyboy in a hi-vis vest has taken great pleasure in kicking in every slightly retarded, speech impedimented dreadlocked poshoid they come across, just on the offchance they might manage to clock that swampy tit
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem is in many places tresspassing IS the only way to get ones voice out these days. This compromise you mention is just that compromise. Sometimes there shouldn't be.

I swear, some of you have the mentality of living in the wild west. Last time I looked outside, I didn't see a stagecoach.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah that's pretty much what I meant Mishra.

Prick.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    This is gonna make me so fucking steaming mad If Im not careful. Best bet is to not look at this thread anymore.

Im not really saying Im suprised that they got their asses kicked, and Duke, of course, I totally am not surprised that you get in the way of people trying to make a living, and you get your ass kicked.

But what sickens me is that y'all actually find it amusing when you consider what the ultimate purpose of Greenpeace is.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no i like greenpeace, they have noble intentions. their method of getting their voice across though is horrible and they should stop being just an inconvenience and annoyance to the companies. people will not listen when they do stupid shit like this.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    dang those pesky greenpeace flies ...

sorry mishra, what exactly are you expecting a protest to be if not an inconvenience and annoyance? A polite, genial request? Who the frigging fuck is going to listen to that?
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    who the fuck is going to listen to a bunch of cunts throwing around rape whistles and standing on tables with microphones?

if they presented a clear, concise and damn good reason as to why these companies were evil, and pound a way to get it to the people, people would listen.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "annoying douche bag who needs to get stomped"

"no i like greenpeace, they have noble intentions."

"bunch of cunts"

WTF? Your opinion of Greenpeace is ambigous to say the very least Mishra. Wait a minute, why do I care about your opinion? Fuck this thread. It's going nowhere fast.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    the way of getting anything through to "the people" is through excitable reports of your actions, from the tv and papers, local and national.

"Breaking news : greenpeace release a clear and concise statement of intent! Relax while a vaguely attractive news anchor sits back and reads it to you". Not gonna happen.
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes and them going into a private meeting and shouting is not going to get their message heard, it's just going to be told that greenpeace broke into a building, set off rape whistles and got their asses stomped out.

let me clear what i mean, i like greenpeace, but not the people in greenpeace. does that make sense?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No. It seems your making a false dichotomy. Greenpeace IS the people who work for it.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    "Climbers scaled scaffolding to unfurl a banner reading, “Climate change kills, oil industry parties”."

yep, i read that message just fine. And i'm hundreds of miles away from london. D'you get it?
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As far as proof Mishra:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3-1489955,00.html

[ QUOTE ]
    The strongest evidence yet that global warming has been triggered by human activity has emerged from a major study of rising temperatures in the world’s oceans.

The present trend of warmer sea temperatures, which have risen by an average of half a degree Celsius (0.9F) over the past 40 years, can be explained only if greenhouse gas emissions are responsible, new research has revealed.
    [The study] found that natural variation in the Earth’s climate, or changes in solar activity or volcanic eruptions, which have been suggested as alternative explanations for rising temperatures, could not explain the data collected in the real world. Models based on man-made emissions of greenhouse gases, however, matched the observations almost precisely.

"What absolutely nailed it was the greenhouse model," Dr Barnett told the American Association for the Advancement of Science conference in Washington. Two models, one designed in Britain and one here in the US, got it almost exactly. We were stunned. They did it so well it was almost unbelieveable."

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Mishra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes ok i have been severely owned ill just back out now
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it did alot of good for greenpeace to get thier asses kicked. Think about it now everyone still thinks of them as the poor down trodden victoms fighting the under dog fight for good. If they actually stormed the building and kicked ass, everyone would be really shocked at thier actions more so than they already are. Everyone would be calling them a bunch of terrorist and want them locked up. Instead (at worst) most people would just shrug and say don't bother locking them up they got what they deserve. I hope they had the presence of mind to think "hey lets let these SOB's get a few good licks in for the cameras!"

I hope Greenpeace takes this as a lesson learn and are willing to get thier asses kicked more offten. It really helps to turn those they are protesting agaist, more into monsters that everyone can hate. Everyone loves to hate a bully that picks on the pacifist, they can sure use this as nother trick in thier deck. If they are willing to go that far they are hero's in my book. There are people who have taken beatings for less.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean kinda like what Jesus and Gandhi did?
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Vig, I understand your theory and sentiment and its heart is in the right place, but as long as there are people that think it's amusing that people trying to save the planet from climate catastrophe get their asses kicked, I don't think it holds as much weight as it should.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    That made me so happy. Petro Traders 1 Greenpeace 0. LOL!

[/ QUOTE ]
    You are a sad individual.

I'm now going to stay out of here, because this pisses me off more than it should.
    Greenpeace can be annoying at times, but when they keep it civil in situations such as these, you can't do much more but respect their resolve.
    And if it's proof you're looking for: there's plenty of proof allready, but unlike what i hear ("i'd listen to it then!") nobody gives half a shit.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    you guys are funny.

from what I can tell via reading threads like this on different forums, it usually ends up in two camps: the US & Canadians screaming that global warming doesn't exist and practically everyone else getting their teeth kicked in.

yes climates change, over millions of years. But hey climate change by human intervention is very apparent, locking heat into the earth is only going to cause trouble.

I for one am on greenpeace's side, even if they do end up doing daft things at least they are trying to shake up the "old boys network"
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    About climate change: I hope we manage to ween ourselves off fosil fuels and onto other things such as solar charged electric cars. We are already making that switch slowly. I see more and more hybrid cars on the road which is a positive step. Hopefully we can build that momentum and make the switch before we melt the polar ice caps the world becomes a much smaller place.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    hydrogen fuel cells are better than solar cells. especially in some northern countries with shitty weather 90% of the time like britain, or scandanavia...
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hydrogen is still ineffecient as its a three part process...

(Natural resource to electricity, Electricity used to convert atmosphere into hydrogen, hydrogen converted in car).

Im a fan of electric myself. It's been covered under since the fuel companies have more interest in hydrogen (because they can still retain control).

(Natural resource to electricity. Electricity to car [given the power loss in battery conversion].)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also we don't know what will happen if we start using alot of hydrogen. 100 years ago they thought gas was a clean fuel (compaired to coal) whats a little C02 going to hurt? Plants put that off naturally right? Now look at us...
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I am a huge proponent of environmentalism, and believe strongly in what Greenpeace stands for.

However, it seems at times they have the collective intelligence of plankton.

They were trespassing, and disrupting a private business. Just because their intentions were noble, doesn't mean that their actions were.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, have Greenpeace EVER cared for the law?
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

amaging the hearing of everyone in the room and committing crime.

[/ QUOTE ] holy 'reaching for any excuse' lol

"oh my gentle virgin ears...those roughians and their law breaking!"

I'm not a tree hugger by any means, but I have as much respect for the traders bullshit as I do the tree huggers. their both guilty of crimes. I think battery oversteps some strained typanic membranes (gimmie a fuckin break!)

-R

-R
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant

Sometimes the law can't address issues that need to be addressed. So I see nothing wrong with trespassing if they know they will be arrested.

They know they will be caught and prosecuted by the law. Not by some overzealous yuppies wanting to take their frustrations out.
  • ndcv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ndcv polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah hydrogen has a lot of problems in its way, not the least of which is its low energy density. In order to have the same amount of energy as a tank of gasoline, it has to be compressed to something like 15,000 atmospheres. Just look at it wrong and it will blow up. Then take into account all the energy you used to compress the hydrogen to that degree, plus the loss of energy when you first store the energy in the hydrogen, then later convert it back to electricity to run an electric motor (like oxy said) and you're looking at a horribly ineffecient and dangerous power source.

Things like biodiesel, ethanol, and electric cars are all available and feasible right now. My car runs on 100% biodiesel (basically just vegetable oil) and loves it. Ethanol from switchgrass is an incredibly efficient use of land, and restores soil fertility to boot.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Sometimes the law can't address issues that need to be addressed. So I see nothing wrong with trespassing if they know they will be arrested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but there IS something wrong with it.

Laws, no matter how much one disagrees with them, or disregards them for their "greater purpose" are there there, and should be respected. We don't live in an anarchistic society. There are proper channels for making change, and breaking laws is not one of them.

As strongly as I feel about the environment, and believe me, I am INVOLVED in making changes for the betterment of it, I feel even more strongly about respecting and abiding by the laws that govern the land.

Like I said, "the collective intelligence of plankton". They are lucky they only got "beaten up". Somebody could have been shot, pulling a stunt like that, say by maybe an overzealous security guard, etc.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Law is not an absolute, there is always exceptions. Jim crow laws prohibited equal right for blacks. Should have blacks followed those laws and gone through the "proper channels"? Should have Indians followed the laws set down by the British Empire?

No. Sometimes breaking the law is the only means of correctly fighting a injustice. Again, compromise which would inherently favor those making the money (ie the petrol) is not a compromise.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    The problem is that many of these companies who they are protesting dont give a shit about the law either and to make it worse they dont give a shit about the people their law breaking affects.

there was a report issued in the city i live in(Houston) which highlighted the fact that many of the petrochemical companies in the area were falsely reporting how much chemicals were being dumped in the air, those assholes are breaking the law and unlike the Greenpeace people, their law breaking kills people but since its indirect and these assholes have bought off every politican in town theres no outrage in town.

The whole "Dont mess with Texas" ad campaign should be renamed "dont mess with texas,unless your industry.

around town we have many nicknames for all the little towns affected by this type of crap in the air.

League City=Cancer city ,cancer rates there are way above the national average

Pasedena= Stinkadena,theres a constant horrific smell in that city,no surprise they have high cancer rates too.

Wheres the ass kicking for all those petrolchemical pricks breaking the laws polluting peoples neighborhoods which lead to many people suffering and dieing from cancer while on the other hand the rich affluent areas they live in are petrochemical plant free.

I may not like their methods but they are actually fighting to make our lives better.

on the other hand those richers who defend the practices of that industry only really care about their bottom line.

I agree with oxy on respect for the law,some laws must be broken to bring to light bullshit when it occurs.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oxy, do you think tresspassing is on of those "execeptions"?

Next time you wake up in the middle of the night and find somebody rummaging through your house, you let me know.
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    well maybe you should call greenpeace and get them down in houston jo420, sounds like if they cared they could actually do some good, those people know what they are getting into, i guarantee they knew to expect a violent response, you can't illegally invade a convention and disrupt it without expecting some kind of violent action on someones part, i agree with greenpeace but they like peta and other groups need new tactics, their actions just make them look stupid and disruptive and sometimes terrorist like (people burning hummers on car lots). they lose credibilty when they act in this way and they are only taken seriously by people that have like minds and have little regard for laws when it comes to something like in which the "little man" fights the corporations, to the rest of the world they seem like fanatics, and sadly enough i see them in both lites, i agree that something will be done but will have to be done on a world or government level, these little disruptions do nothing but bring negative attention to both parties.......my -.02 cents
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant: When you want to go the legal way, file complaints, etc you join the green party, when you want to do it the radical way and are prepared for jail or death for the cause you join Greenpeace. Besides, don't play the lawyer here and claim you may only trespass if you object to the trespassing laws, they tried to stop the oil trade which they objected to, breaking another law in the process.