Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sakura

spider2cool
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
spider2cool polycounter lvl 18
ok...I am doing this model for a friend of mine. I was givin this consept to work with. (note: I am not all that fond of this manly consept...that was all I had to work with)
sakura.jpg

well I basically changed my tanya model for this one. I know you can still see some of tanya in her but I think it looks good. I know the legs are not the same as the consept....but the legs on the consept are not proportioned right. I worked it the best I could while trying to stay in proportion to a real person. I refuse to madel that guy with tits of a cosept...lol. I had to really feminize her..afterall it is a female. I don't remember all the details that go with this character...something about a japanese gang leader or something. confused.gifpictures2gd.jpg

Replies

• Laheen
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen polycounter lvl 18
    Um, im not too fond of this either, i though it would be the girl sakura from that fighting game D:. It looks um. Original.
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    does the face look like that cause shes supposed to look japanese? cause its really freaking me out. the pants dont look like you put much effort into them at all compared to the rest of the skin, or is it still a wip?

sorry if i sound harsh, but the whole thing looks like it could be much better with some more effort. find some reference pics for the face
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    i would say this is an improvment over Tanya ....

Until you are very confident your topoligy is very good , you should make new heads for each project ...

also , why didnt you make the hands?
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    It looks too cartoony, the flesh is too washed out and the hair doesn't look much like hair.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Get yourself some decent reference of asian faces. You're a long way off at this stage.

She's also way off balance. shift the entire upper torso back a bit so she doesn't look like she's falling over forwards.

Overall its looking ok for the most part. A few areas that need some attention, but on the way to being a pretty decent model.
  • RageUnleashed
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say focus a lot more on getting the human anatomy down more in the model before unwrapping and texturing. The model's proportions are wonky all over. Then work on your paint skills because the skin in particular looks extremely flat.

You seem to have the tools down pretty well, you just need to focus on the artistic technique going into your work more. Do anatomy studies, get a feel for proportions, work on your digital painting skills, etc.
  • Michael Knubben
    [ QUOTE ]
    Um, im not too fond of this either, i though it would be the girl sakura from that fighting game D:. It looks um. Original.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not only are drugs bad, as you state in your sig, what's infinitely worse is comments such as these.
    You're not excactly going to get a warm welcome when you try to be funny, instead of giving usefull criticism.
    Comments such as : "oh, it's not what i (in my sad fanboy-ness) was expecting, but it's err *insert totally useless deregatory "funny" term*"
    Short of throwing in a few LOL and ROFL's, there's little you could've done to be more useless.
    I'd link you to the excellent guide Gauss (i think it was him, anyway) wrote on comments and criticism, but i can't find it.
    If someone could sticky that thread again, that would be lovely.
    Spider2Cool: First off, you might want to work on that face. As it is now, the ears are vaguely elflike, and her facial features are manly to say the least.
    The face is probably the first thing people will look at, and it's definately what makes something like this recognizable.
    I'd slant the eyes alot less, and i would make them far less stretched (i can only tell you to look at reference here, and NOT that concept. Even though you're following that concept, she's a women, and therefor you can follow a few guidelines.
    The forehead also looks very manly, and i think this could be because of the hair, but i'm not sure.
    Moving on to the body: she has no knees, and because of this, the top of her boots starts looking like a knee, and it makes her legs look very weird. Her legs also look very much tapered towards the bottom, and rather shapeless
    I think you can stand to move her bottom and breasts up a bit, this looks like it should be a relatively young woman, right?
    Then about the texture: those pants are NOT working. I don't know if you rendered that on, or if you did it in photoshop, but it's nothing like leather or latex, and it's very weird.

edit: this may come in handy: http://www.beautyanalysis.com/mba_reposefrontalviewethnicvariations_page.htm
  • Thermidor
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    yeah , that thread was by Vahl or Gauss ... either way it was a good thread , and should be brought back over to the new boards.
    I think i joined the old boards in sep last year , so not long before they went down , but i read that thread first , and i think it was valuable to me , as i had never posted on a forum before ... it would definately help newcomers to polycount ...
    Once again ive goto agree with the general crits here ... get reference and study heads faces and general anatomy.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    simply - the art concept looks better then your model 3d.
    When it will be contrary ( your model looks better then the art ) - you win .
  • Herr-Maestro
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    The Facial features could use a little bit more of refinement, especially around the eyes and nose area.
    The hair, is a lil flat, I think Thermidor had something over at the Old Boards regarding his female recreation model from I's. The hair on her was almost w/o a doubt near perfection. The Pants could use a fold or two to help out with a lil more of a realistic cloth hang feel and the tube top give it a lil bit out from the bottom to again hang and that should give her a improved appearnce. She looks good now but not "as" good as she could be. Your CatGirl Rei model was really nice, and this one can be too if you can pull off those changes. Great stuff man, will follow this.
  • stoofoo
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    I totally disagree with your choices to stray from the concept. You have thrown away any stylistic choices the conceptual artist had made when designing the character. Why did you do this?

That being said, you need to take a good look at your materials and how you render them. Take a look at her skin tones, purple shirt, and the leather(?) shin guards. They all have equally flat looking surfaces. Use some overlays or paint them more thoroughly.

I dont understand the way you rendered the pants either? Looks like you burnt it out with levels or something. Try using a flatter texture with some well places specular painted in. use less process, more painting? I dunno. Keep plugging at it.