Home General Discussion

Hey anyone got any ideas?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
b1ll polycounter lvl 18
Yo, So yeah, I bought a ps2 like 3 months ago ( the new tiny one). and so, this afternoon for some weird reason, its giving me a "Disc cannot be read" error or some shit.
I played that same game last night, and it was friken working fine. WHATS THE DEAL. I tried like 4-5games, same deal. WTF IS THAT!

Anyone got any suggestions before I get this LOVELY GADGET back to the store?

THANKS!!
b1ll

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Don't buy stuff from kanada.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Except beer...
  • Kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    Boot up your PS2 but without a game inside. You should get to some screen with Browser and Configuration. Press the Triangle button. Try turning on Diagnotic Mode by highlighting Console and pressing Triangle. See if that works ...

Note that you'd have to do that everytime you want to load a game though since Diagnostic mode defaults back to Off when the machine is turned off.

You could also try cleaning it up the lens using some lens cleaners you can get at RadioShack ... at least ones for Audio players.

Hope that helps.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I tried turning that diagnostic thingy on, didnt do much.. mmm. Ill let the ps2 cool down I guess, and Ill clean that lens, well see
    Thanks thO!!

b1ll
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Sony gives out a six month warrantee, use it. I think they're also forced by some settlement to replace any DRE'd PS2s free of charge.
  • sumguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sumguy polycounter lvl 18
    you got screwed, we've had two cases here of what your describing with the sleek sexy mini. they fixed it by returning the system. new systems seem to be working fine. We also have 3 broken PSP's already daaaaaaaaaamn....

come to think of it, had allot of original PS2's that't broke to nothingness.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Shame, I HATE THAT Ps2!!!
    so I ship it directly to sony?

Crazy, Ill buy a gamecube until then hey!!

Thanks dudes
    b1ll
  • Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    yeah i was getting them on my original ps2 and had to open it up and swab the drive lense with a cotton swab. not sure if that will work on the new one or not, i'd take it to the store if i were you, that thing is too new to have that kind of problem
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I got my little brother a PS2 off of Ebay. It was having the dreaded disc-read-error, when we got it. Of course, that meant he got it for $120 with two good games. (back then it was still going for $250)

When it arrived, it wouldn't play silver PS2 discs, or PS1 games. It only red the blue PS2 discs. I cracked it open, and cleaned the lens off with a cotton Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. Worked like a charm. I have to repeat this process every six months or so, to keep it in working order. But it is still functioning today, and he has had it for nearly two years.