Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Char: James Anderson

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
You all remember Outlaws don't ya?
This would be my first character model, and I'm not finished, but I thought I'd better get some feedback on it from all the great talent spilling out all over this place.
Here's the ref.
james-sm.jpg
The only other ref i have right now is a slightly closer view of the face.

Now I'm not going for exact representation, as it's a bit stylized. I'm trying to bring him over to a bit more realistic, but still have a lot of the personality of the original.

The hat still needs major work, and I just finished blocking out the head. I think the legs might need to be a little longer, but I'll have to look at it a bit more. Let me know what needs major correction.(And minor.) I'll be trying to rig him up too, so that I can see what deforms well, and what doesn't.

Not sure how much you can see in these caps, so if you want to I've got a couple of swf turnarounds at about 150k or so a piece too.

On second thought, definitely have a look at the turnarounds. These caps look wierd too me.

Thanks in advance!
james1.jpg
(there's no preloader on these)
Turnaround1
Turnaround1

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, I loved Outlaws.

Maybe the legs are a little thick or short, but I donno... you could try ripping the sprites out of the game for a porportion check.

Also, you could try snagging some frames of their cutscenes (he's present closely often) but since it's an 8-bit game, screen captures would turn out fubar frown.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    theres some serious tallent going on here for a first time char model, very nice indeed. The Turnarounds look higher poly than the picture above, and based on them I'd suggest to you to look where you can reduce the poly count without compromising details. For example, because this is wielded in the middle, you could probably reduce the detail on his back, chest and groin with no noticeable side effects. In this process you could also boost his pectoral muscles to give his lanky frame some definition.

The head needs a lot of work (the trick is to over exaggerate features slightly), as the proportions are a little un balanced, I'd suggest giving him a square chin and so on.

I like the shoes a lot, very good job!! On the turnaround I noticed they might not work so well if animated, you need to stitch the polies across more not up as they won't bend that way when rigged. The other additional polygons to the joints seem like they will bend quite easily, the knees might need some looking into.

Lastly I think one of his hands should be a club-fist, leaving some extra polygons for the gun hand = trigger finger and club the other fingers together.

I think that you could get this model down to 700 or less polygons with some work, then re-detail the important parts with an extra 200, leaving 100 or so for accessories giving you a well rounded 1000 poly model.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    omg, That Game character was awsome.
    I do believe in it a nice try!.

I'd say, You still have to work on the proportion a bit, to realy capture the feeling of that screenshot.
    I believe longer and tinner legs, so the torso feel smaller. The shouler have to be bigger tho, even tho hes tall, he still need a massive feeling. The face feel rather weak, It as to be rework a bit, A front and side shot would be cool to help.

But still. YA good character choice, Work on it some more to make an awsome piece. I do loved that game!!

b1ll
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    look'n pretty good dude. could you tell me how to make a turn around like that? it's very helpful in showing a model smile.gif
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

@CheapAlert: Yeah, Outlaws was the coolness. i might try *actually installing* the game. That might help, at least I could look at the movies of their 3d models I guess. I'm not necessarilly trying to duplicate him exactly though.

@hawken: Thanks! That's encouraging to hear.
    I agree with you on the optimizing. I did also intend to club his hand. Although, I have thought recently that with lanky hands being such a large part of his character, it might detract from the feel of the model. We'll see. This model is still in symmetry mode, so I'll definitely try to optimize him when I weld him up for good.

Yeah the square chin is something I was going for from the start that got lost a bit in his geometry, but his head's still in beta:) Thanks for the tips on that though.

Glad you like the boots! I'm not really clear what you mean by moving the polys across and not up though. If you got a chance, a paintover might help? Here's a closeup of the boots.
    jamesboot.jpg

Thanks for all the feedback!

@killingpeople: Thanks man. In order to create a swf turnaround like this, I use my old r4 version of the swiftmax plugin and some actionscript. Not sure how else you would do it, other than render out each frame and then import those into flash, but regular bitmaps are much larger, that's why I used the flash export. Not sure if there are any other swf exporters. I suppose if all else fails, and you really wanted one, you could drop me a 3ds mesh and I could pop one out for you. They don't take much.

keep thos crits coming!(cheesy saying, I know, but it's all i got right now, and it get's the message accross. I'll shut up now.)bugbiggrin.gif
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oops! Sorry B1ll, missed replying to ya on the first one. I think you may have something there about the legs and shoulders. I'll keep tweaking it as I go. Did you get a chance to look at the turnarounds? They give you a front and side view. I'll get a side shot up here anyway though.

Thanks!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, hawken.

Been working on the head a bit, and tweaked the body some more. Made his legs a little taller and thinner, but I'm not too certain of the results. . He's actually about a half a head taller than the ref(if the ref is without much perspective that is.)

james_side_sm.jpg
    james_front_sm.jpg
    jhead_side_sm.jpg
    jhead_front_sm.jpg
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a chance to work on this a little bit more. I decided to slap a quick uv and texture on the face, to see how it would turn out. I've found a couple of things I want to correct this way.

Some feedback on this would be great.
    facetex1.jpg
    facetex2.jpg
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Hello, Mr.Anderson, that is a very nice tie you have....anyway the model looks alot like the picture, which is a very good thing.