Home General Discussion

Painfull changes - rant

Prs-Phil
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
first off, wwwwwwaaaaaah

Ok, might not even fit into this forum but here goes.

My new job is making me learn maya. ... After nearly 6 years working with max this is the most annoying and painfull learningprocess I have ever been throw.
At the moment I just really hate the way this programm handels things and it is really confusing, esspecially because I keep hitting shortcuts for max and or think ahead like I would in MAX and it just doesnt work. I have to clicke through a million things before I get the result that I want, where before it was just a click or 2 away.

I know I´ll get used to it and the others are having a good laugh at me wink.gif but it is still very confusing.

Whatever ... cool.gif

Replies

• JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Gah! Delete the thread! Delete the thread! It's gonna turn into another Maya vs Max with a couple people shouting XSI from the sidelines!

Yeah, it takes a bit of time to get used to. What's really annoying is switching back and forth between programs, so you kind of have to retrain yourself to that program's workflow (especially with viewport navigation). An awesome thing about Maya is the custom toolbar. CTRL+Shift to put things in there, like the hyershader and stuff. What was 2 clicks in Max is 1 in Maya smile.gif

Oh, and the snap functionality is far superior in Maya than in default Max.

Best of luck to ya. Bonne chance! Or something.....
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    It's gonna happen, so I might as well go along with it...Max vs Maya.

I find Maya easier to model with then Max.
    Stacks suck donkey balls...fuk'n rat maze.

Granted Maya has it's own rat maze, but it's easier to model with.

And Don't give me this bullshit about one program being more stable then the other...I've had Maya crash on me just as much as Max.

I guess it's a mixed Max vs Maya comment.

Oh Oh Oh Oh, I almost forgot....I HATE CHARACTER STUDIO WITH A PASSION!!!
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Prs Phil. I know what your going through man. Ive been working in maya for 3 months now. and I only know what I have to. As far as modelling texturing, I still use max. But then Ill go into maya to vert light the model and export it. Dont worry it will come. But I feel your pain honestly.

oh yeah MAX RULES!!!! OMG W00t!! YEAH!! 0Wn3D!!!
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    oh shit, I should of know that it would turn into one of thoose discussion wink.gif. Well I´m just talking about the pain of getting one workflow out of your head and starting a new one.

but ghost_rider, texturing in Maya is very strong. The sad thing is that I can really use MAX here so I would do the same as you if I could

Jkim3, thats my new Desktop Background laugh.gif
  • Megaphobema
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Megaphobema polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.vg-art.com/jkim3/stuff/error.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like we know how you feel about Maya, lol.

Priceless picture...
  • Kirin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    I have to admit that Maya does look like a pain in a butt but since I still in a "migration stage" if you will from Windows to Mac, I'd have to learn some Maya to get by as there's no Max for Mac.

On the flip side though, I finally figured out how the Hypershade rendering thingy works! Yay! ... 1 feature down ... a bajillion more to go! (aside from the typical navigation of viewports)
  • artgoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artgoon polycounter lvl 18
    Maya-better animation, 'faster' modeling setup with shortcut keys.

Max- A 'bit' more crash prone thanks to the auto-save feature. Also 'quat' curves can go straight to hell. It's also easier to implement plugins without being a script monkey.

My personal favorite is Microsoft Paint.

It's like the Nintendo Powerglove. It's sooo bad.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    No offense, but this is a *really* dumb thread. It's going to lead to a pointless software flame war. If you have a specific problem, post in 2D/3D and experienced Maya users will help you there. Otherwise I'd encourage people not to take the bait and kill this thread.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Maya vs Max with a couple people shouting XSI from the sidelines!

[/ QUOTE ]

XSI!!!
    now the thread is complete
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Why don't 3d programs have a universal UI?

All the shortcuts,mouse clicks, Select,add,subtract,Move,camera movments,...etc could be ported to any 3d program via your personal UUI.

You already know 3d art why should you be forced to re-learn some other company's interface?

Producer-"does your program support .uui ?"

3d Vender-"yep."

Producer-"Great. now I won't have to waste 4 weeks retraining half my staff. Sold!"
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    He said a couple ppl.

XSI 4eva!!1!1

Ok now it's complete.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    I
    've been using Maya for a year now, having done the mMigration and that first month is the worst. and the second three months after that, you just feel stupid, because you don't have a lot of things memorized. Having said that I prefer modeling and animation in Maya, and rigging and material handling in Max.

Scott
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why don't 3d programs have a universal UI?

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you think they're selling? =P

Wouldn't work anyway. See the "hidden maya features" thread and imagine that ninety five percent of a program was "hidden" because there's no place in your .uui file for those features wink.gif. The fact is that Max and Maya do work differently. I'm not saying better or worse, but different. In order to fully utilize one or the other, you have to learn to understand how it works to get the most out of it, and yes, that can take some work.

'course I'm a person who enjoys learning new 'systems', so I might be biased wink.gif

Besides, if you could migrate your UI to new programs, everyone'd still be using the one that came with 3d Studio R2 or something XD Change is good.