Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Strong old samurai type character

GoK
GoK
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
GoK polycounter lvl 18
This is a character i did recently, it around two weeks on and off. its under 2500 tris. iv had a lot of good crits from other forms so i thought id come get some fresh ones smile.gif

Jody

render6yh.jpg

Replies

• GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Post deleted by GoK
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    And a close up of the head

render2se.jpg

Jody
  • TomDunne
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    Cool. Crits:

- aside from the breastplate, his outfit seems a lot more like what would have been worn in northern Mongolia. Trousers and leather boots are really not a fuedal Japanese look.

- his face seems almost totally caucasian. Reddish-brown hair rather than black, ruddy complexion and deep-set blue eyes, none of which say Japanese to me.

- samurai carried their swords on their left hip rather than their right.

- assuming you don't care about any of that, the authenticity crits, I'd say that the proportions are a bit off in the torso. It looks a little undersized compared to his otherwise burly-seeming physique. Look at the width of his waist and how wide he becomes at the hips. The pants might flair out a bit there, but his stance really suggests he needs a wider torso.

- I'm not a texture expert, and I generally think this is quite nice work, but I think you could use more range. More shadows and highlights would help bring out various elements. Aside from the chest piece, he looks a bit flat.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks man, hes now a mongolian smile.gif anyway i appreciate the advice, its mabey a bit late for this guy but ill take it onboard for the next one... cheers

Jody
  • lkraan
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Good stuff!
    The model and texture look pretty good.
    I like the combination of colors.

His breastplate/armour seems to hang a bit low and not really protecting his breasts. I think that a well aimed arrow can hit him straight in his heart smile.gif
    I think that the hairline around his whole head is pretty hard and this makes it look a bit off from the side view. Especially on the sides of his head.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers, i was quite happy wiith this guy.. on reflection tho i would have modeled the head differently and layed the uv's out a bit less fragmented. The join between head and hair is a phisical break in the uv map.. which was a bit sill on my part! Im gonna start working on a new one so ill be posting more stuff up here, i usualy only post on cgchat but it seems prety freindly here smile.gif and the advice has been great so far so see you guys soon.

Jody
  • iansnyder
    Offline / Send Message
    iansnyder polycounter lvl 18
    Jody, just wanted to say that while the character may not be perfect or whatever, I really like his design, which I feel is even more important than anything else. I can just imagine a storyline for him and everything just by looking at him, and that is really cool and something that you don't see every day! Did you come up with the idea for this guy on your own? Again, awesome work smile.gif

P.S. - They do seem to help out more here, don't they? wink.gif
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    cheers man i did come up with it myself yehh. Im working on a new one now so ill get some pics up when iv got something to show smile.gif

Jody
  • Jerome
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice job man. I feel like his outer extremeties need a good bit more detail. Right now they are kind of soft and lack the definition and care given to the torso. With his face, you should blend the beard and face together a bit more, as right now they are very disparate.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think you should post a side view profile of his head, looks like there might be some problems there
  • Herr-Maestro
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    I love the detailing of the facial features, the scar by the right eye is nice touch, you almost expect him to say something like... "What Joo Lookin at? "
  • alex
    Offline / Send Message
    alex polycounter lvl 18
    Its awesome but he doesnt look japanese. He looks more like a viking. Make the hair black.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    hehe what brought this back up? ahha see i got around the whole"him not looking japanese" he a mix of an old russian guy and a samurai... not convinced!?

Jody
  • Pezz3D
    Offline / Send Message
    Pezz3D polycounter lvl 18
    I basically just HAD to post to tell Gok the level of improvement in his work is amazing. Good Job bro. (Hope you remember me. D: )
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Wow hi pez, hows thing long time no see! thanks for the comps man smile.gif *shucks*

Jody
  • Sett
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    PBF017BCMasterYoshi.jpg
    reminded me of this.