Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warrior dude's head

iansnyder
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
iansnyder polycounter lvl 18
Here's the head for some warrior dude I thought of. 110 polys and 128x128 texture. Please give me crits and comments! Thanks, and I hope you like him!

warrior.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a good start, texture may be a bit blurry, and hair alpha has some floating sections. How about posting a the texture and wireframe render and we can give better feedback.
  • iansnyder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed the floating sections, here is the texture and wireframe shots.

warriortex.jpg

warriorwire.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Over all it looks great. I doubt you could help the blurriness that much given the texture is only 128x128. Since it is so small the hair does pixelate pretty bad you might want to rearange some of the unwrapped space so you can maxumize the hair texture space and maybe get rid of the pixelation a bit? Since you have the neck painted it wouldn't be too much of a pain to move some of that around and blow up/repaint the hair alpha. Maybe do something like this? It would help use up some of the wasted space and might help the hair look better?

Good construction on the mesh and the paint job is really good. Could use a sharpening in spots but really I can't hold too much agaist ya because the texture size is pretty limiting =)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    The mesh if fine, and yes you could have a better UV layout that would dramatically improve detail.

I totally disagree with Vig about the the texture size and limitations causing the blurriness. Painting a sharp, crispy texture is everything, and 128 is the place to learn! Take that brush size down to 1 and control each pixel. Remember, it wasn't too many years ago we were putting entire character sheets on 128s

Look for textures from guys like Soul, Dark Horizon, Hyper, etc. They are all outstanding texture artists and have lots online to see. The fine art of texture painting can have a major impact on a portfolio. Personally and on multiple occasions, I've had a very difficult time hiring an artist that could paint textures that weren't blurry, but I can find hundreds of 3d modelers in a second.

Good start, and keep it up, Co-President!
  • iansnyder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys a lot for the crits!

Vig: I know what you mean about the hair, I put way too much area from the texture into the base of his neck and wasted a lot of space that way.

Cholden: I know what you mean about making it look crisper; I have been looking at Soul's work a lot, and also Moppius. I will have to check out Dark Horizon and Hyper though.

This is still one of my first models trying to really improve my texturing, and I agree that the 128 limitation is really the best way to learn; if you can do something well small, you can do it even better large. Something like that anyway wink.gif

Thanks again for the crits! I probably won't work on this particular piece again for fixing, but I am thinking about making this guy's entire body, so I'll be needing more help soon enough smile.gif Thanks!